Who's Online
0 registered and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#863 - 12/15/07 02:37 PM Armor Ideas
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
Again just posting thoughts. I've heard people complain about newbies wearing the best armour for years.

What if there was a level restriction placed on it? Now I know I've heard the objects too, but how about this suggestion.

As most people are aware, armour has a 'wield' or 'skill' much like weapons. You don't need it to wear the armour, but to be able to chant/rune it.

To get an idea. Laen armour, with TA and 3 150% protection runes and a featherweight rune is about 160% "wield".

I would suggest that much like casting skills, people would require 1 combat level per 5% of armour "wield". So to wear laen armour with TA and 3 GM runes and a featherweight you would need to be 32c, more or less.

Triple runed TA armour would probably be in the low-mid 20s.

You wouldn't be able to have TA until level 11c or so at the very earliest.

Comments and ideas?

#864 - 12/15/07 02:40 PM Re: Armor Ideas [Re: Charon]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Bad... it just enhances the difference between levels combat wise in an artificial manner... Instead of somebody being level 32 c being more LIKELY to beat somebody level 22c, but not absolutely certain, this change makes it certain...

No like...

#865 - 12/15/07 02:40 PM Re: Armor Ideas [Re: Kim]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Also, with looting back, only those with a... strong backing (powerful friends and helpers) would risk Laen from day one I think... It's how it always was before save on ghost anyway \:\)
#866 - 12/15/07 02:43 PM Re: Armor Ideas [Re: Kim]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Bad idea. I think such level restrictions are artificial and make no realistic sense. Anyone should be able to wear what they can acquire. In fact, I'd be extreme enough to say that anyone should be able to wield any weapon they can acquire (they still need to be able to hit with it, to do any good...and wield still matters for level of critting).
#1013 - 01/11/08 02:24 PM Re: Armor Ideas [Re: Minstrel]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
Should there be any restrictions/disadvantages to wearing any armour types?

Some examples:
  • casting harder
  • dodging harded
  • parry harder
  • hitting harder
  • fatigue loss in combat greater
  • movement slower
  • rune effectiveness changes based on type
  • enchantment effectiveness changes based on type
  • some mobs/spells/effects/areas/etc treat different armour types differently
As it stands there are no reasons not to have the best armour money can buy on at all times, other than financial ones.

I have not personally made up my mind on this topic. The fact that anyone can wear anything is strongly in favor of leaving armour as it is in my mind, since there is no inherant layer of balance issue by armour types. The fact that there is no diversity in armour is strongly in favor of change, since we do have a number of armour choices that are clearly inferior instead of different by choice.

Another thought is that you really can't tell what sort of armour one is wearing after enchanter mark (or decorative carvings) is put on it. Would an lifting of the restriction against naming platemail as leather be an acceptable alternative?Or would it be better to simply make leather (or chain, or scale, or whatever) armour made by players of the same respective skill level have the same ac?

My question really is, is there a reason to have diversity in armour types if everyone will presumably wear the best type?

On a separate note, I think there should be some randomization of the ac for each protection type in armour tinking if there isn't already - not much at grandmaster levels (read as: largely unnoticable on protection) but a greater range at lower skill levels. This could result in plus or minus for each protection type, so you wouldn't always get exactly the same amount of protection for exactly the same skill. (forgive me if this is already the case as I have never been a tinker)

#1042 - 01/15/08 11:46 AM Re: Armor Ideas [Re: Cerberus]
Daniel Offline
stranger

Here is an armour idea.
It's based on the idea that I am sure people have tossed around before, that armour takes a quasi "wield" level to wear it. SImplest way would be based on level. 5% chanting per level of char. Could be total level or a classes main leveling area or whatevers.
So, with scaleable caps on amount of magic per piece we could find a reason to diversify in armour types at earlier levels if you give things like cloth armour a different % magic on it.
To explain. Chanting laen with *6 m fort uses what, 12.5% or whatevers. Chanting cloth could take 4% for *6 m fort or 6% m fort.
Leather goods would be in between cloth and metals, etc...

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.