Who's Online
0 registered and 13 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2477 - 09/30/10 10:23 AM Nethergeists and a New Pet Idea
Din Administrator Offline
stranger

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Hi guys, i have been thinking of some ideas for the guild to help balance them out and make them worthwhile to play beyond medium levels. As it is currently, the highest pet necros can make are Nethergeists. Ive fought against them many times as a player and i feel powerwise they are about right for the level at which they are made, however i feel there is something lacking from the guild as a whole considering that while they are powerful, they are not as hard to defeat as one may think and take way too long to create for their power.

My response to this issue is to first cut down the time needed to make Nethergeists by roughly half (3 1/2 - 4 hours is long enough for a nether i think, 7-8 is too high considering their strength), and then create one new pet above Nethers to give incentive for necros to reach the 40s in magic as well as give an edge to a clan with a necro that high during a war. Hence i conjured up the following idea:

Spell Name: Animate Elder Lich
Spell Level: 40
Skill: Necromancy

Required to Create:
1 Lich, 1 Demilich, 1 Dracolich, and 3 Level 40+ Corpses (one for the essence of each lich type). All of these must be present in the room at the time of casting and all will be combined into one mangled corpse that will be used to cast the spell.
Creation Time:
Roughly 12 Hours

It will have three different auras, with each aura determining its abilities. The auras change at completely random times, will change frequently, and are as follows:

Red Aura:
Can cast wind of death and inflict minor unholy criticals randomly when attacked or is attacking.
Green Aura:
Can cast decay and curse and cause very minor skill curses randomly when attacked or is attacking.
Blue Aura:
Can cast soul syphon and lifesteal and drain life directly randomly when attacked or is attacking.

In addition, there is a 33% chance upon losing all of its hp that it will cheat death and continue fighting while restoring half of its max hp.

This entire setup is subject to major testing on test site and overall input from players as far as pros and cons of this blueprint. Let me know what you guys think about the idea so i can take everything into consideration before i start working on it. Thanks!

#2478 - 09/30/10 05:53 PM Re: Nethergeists and a New Pet Idea [Re: Din]
Rancid Offline

Interesting idea.

The problem with all pets is they were designed in the past with the original combat system. They were pretty tough at the time. A matter of fact a room full of Draco liches and a necro were almost unstoppable. It was the only thing that really made necros worth while. This is not the case anymore. A matter of fact a dracolich is a superior pet to a nethergeist and takes half the time. I have 2 pure casters. 1) They are worthless in combat.(sorry Din) 2) Really most of the pets are worthless, besides mana pets and draco-liches.

Since the inception of all guilds the combat system has been drastically increased while the pets, their combat skills and the pure casters combat skills have not been modified. Semi-casters and pure fighters have been given massive bonuses to combat. Of course, pure casters still have to do combat and are virtually worthless at it. This has left all pets and pet users with an extreme disadvantage. To add insult to injury combat was increased more and more while full casters; elementalist, necromancers and enchanters, were left at their original abilities. Exponential this made those three guilds extremely under power and neglected.

Consequently, I think there needs to be a solution explored that would keep the focus of pure casters as pure casters; but cure the problems with their complete inability to do combat, while maintaining balance.

The idea I think would make most sense is to make their ability to do "decent" combat contingent upon the completion and mastery of their magical abilities. With the pure casters it is rather simple. The three pure casters; with out haste, all use pets. If those three guilds got a level 40 pet that they could borrow a haste like spell from, it would offer a solution. Of course, I would argue they would need all spells to level *6 before they could train such pet and the pet would have to be *6 to borrow the haste like spell from.

This would maintain balance because it would take an extremely long time for them to get the pet. This would keep semi-casters and pure fighters at an extreme advantage in the combat arena for 2 reasons. 1) The combat bonus semi-casters and pure fighters get for combat development points. 2)The fact it would takes an extremely long time for a pure caster to even get their haste spell.

-Rancid

#2480 - 09/30/10 05:59 PM Re: Nethergeists and a New Pet Idea [Re: Rancid]
Din Administrator Offline
stranger

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
I do agree that the lack of haste in full caster guilds is a major issue and thats something im considering rectifying. For necros i have a few ideas how that can be accomplished, one of which being possibly having a spell directly linking the necro to a pet he has following him and drawing the haste energy from its undead life force. If the pet is killed or if it runs out of hp from how much power is being drawn from it, the haste expires. Obviously the bigger the pet, the stronger and longer lasting the haste. Something along those lines at least.
#2481 - 09/30/10 06:10 PM Re: Nethergeists and a New Pet Idea [Re: Rancid]
Jedian Offline

The simplest solution is to make a spell that will bind the necro pet to the necro. Doing this will unleash the pet's true power (Din can fine tune by how much). This will solve the issue with weaker pets and will make necro's viable in combat.
#2483 - 09/30/10 06:16 PM Re: Nethergeists and a New Pet Idea [Re: Jedian]
Rancid Offline

I would make the argument this should be done for all pure casters; elementalist, enchanters and necromancers. Also, thieves should have dance of daggers revamped to actually make them a combat effective guild again. And backstab just sucks balls. It should be re-evaluated.

Also, a beefer pet for necromancers I think needs serious evaluation. Maybe even a master pet that can command all of a necro's minions. Something to make necros pets worthwhile again.

And for the love of god. Give pets swimming or flying.

Edited by Rancid (09/30/10 06:18 PM)

#2486 - 09/30/10 09:00 PM Re: Nethergeists and a New Pet Idea [Re: Rancid]
Jedian Offline

WRT the current necro pets:

I think dracoliches and nethergeists should definitely have the ability to fly. Other than that, the other current necro pets should not innately be able to fly nor even swim. If a flight spell is cast upon them, they should be able to be commanded to fly however.

#2487 - 09/30/10 10:22 PM Re: Nethergeists and a New Pet Idea [Re: Jedian]
Jedian Offline

Based on Rancid's idea, this is what I envisioned as the new level 40 necro pet.

As a "general", the pet would essentially buff the other undead around him (including the necro in lich form). The pet would have a sizable hp pool and would be required to life tap (drain his hp for mp) in order to cast spells.

The pet is non-transferable.

You are allowed 2 of these pets (One in the Undead Dimension and one on the regular plane). If both pets exist in the same plane, they will cancel each other out.

Spells

I'm going to only explain spells that do not currently exist.

Drain Life

Siphon Life (short duration)

Wind of Death

Life Tap

Converts HP to MP

Raise Undead

Resurrects an undead including owner in lich form (half-health)

Unholy Rites

Increaess HP of all undead

Shield of Bone (Defense - Effects all undead in the room)

Similiar to shields of war

Tobin's Call (Offense - Effects all undead in the room)

every undead in the room gains an extra attack next round

Abilities:

Absorb Undeath

The pet drains the unholy energies of a nearby undead, killing the undead and convert the energy into HP. The absorb order is lowest level to highest level including owner (if in lich form) - Yes, he's taking you with him

Let me know what you guys think.

#2489 - 10/01/10 08:32 AM Re: Nethergeists and a New Pet Idea [Re: Jedian]
Rancid Offline

I am refering to all pets. Not just necros pets. But a nethergeist is a phantom, a mist. Why woulndt they fly? That being said I think they should all get fly or swim its stupid that they cant follow you over water.
#2491 - 10/01/10 01:16 PM Re: Nethergeists and a New Pet Idea [Re: Rancid]
Jedian Offline

Rancid, I opened up a new topic for traversing terrain (pets). Let's post ideas there instead of ninja'ing this thread.

http://www.darkemud.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2490#Post2490

#2492 - 10/01/10 09:09 PM Re: Nethergeists and a New Pet Idea [Re: Jedian]
Rancid Offline

Ohh btw, I should have mentioned. Try 5 hours and 15 minutes for nethergeists which are a weak pet. Sad. Only good for LT exp.
Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.