Who's Online
0 registered and 9 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2267 - 11/03/08 09:31 PM Guild Vision
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
The simple table below is a view of how I am viewing guild dynamics in general. The closer a guild is to a label, the more oriented toward what that label represents the guild is.

Code:
(Order)| Cleric     | Tinker     | Arch-Mage  | Enchanter | Elementalist |(Anarchy)
(Law)  | Paladin    | Sword-Mage | Monk       | Thief     | Chaotic-Lord |(Chaos)
(Good) | War-Priest |            | Nightblade |           | Necromancer  |(Evil)
The rows are to be read as follows: Order refers to natural law as it pertains to Risla, Iislea, and Nelea and is generally creation oriented while Anarchy is the flow of magic through the natural world and is destruction oriented.
Law covers man's law and is embodied by Celeborn while Chaos is the "law" of demons as exemplified by Marghuul.
Good is righteous protection of the weak and improvement of the self while Evil is enslavement and neglect.

For instance, the Tinker guild is close to the Order and Law sections and has a heavy creation aspect as well as being an integral part in the economy (part of Law). The reason this is only a simple outline can be shown by the Enchanter example - it is closer to Anarchy than Order because it modifies items rather than creating them and can destroy them in that process - but it errs toward the Chaos aspect rather than the Law for no real particular reason though it may be given one during development if the table stays as is. So, take it for what it's worth and please give feedback.

#2269 - 11/04/08 08:10 PM Re: Guild Vision [Re: Cerberus]
Byakko Offline
stranger

I feel this is way oversimplifying things and pigeonholing the roles of guilds. With a few exceptions, the amount of Order/Law/Good a guild has depends on its current players and leaders. Furthermore, guild dynamics constantly shifts. While some guilds are notorious long-term enemies (Paladins vs Chaotic-Lords), others shift their affiliations over time and wind up with perhaps surprising allies and foes (for example, War-Priests).
#2275 - 11/05/08 12:32 PM Re: Guild Vision [Re: Byakko]
addict

Originally Posted By: Cerberus
The simple table below is a view of how I am viewing guild dynamics in general.
I agree that it is an oversimplification, and one that is done on purpose in order to get generalizations out of the way.

It's not meant to dictate roleplay or stop a war-priest from participating in the order or anarchy realm for RP. It's mean to show that war-priests neither create or destroy equipment so they're seated away from those two.

#2280 - 11/06/08 10:56 PM Re: Guild Vision [Re: Cerberus]
Geos Stormos Offline
stranger

I am really curious how these ideas translate to the code. It's all well and good to talk about law/order/chaos/etc. but players are going to play how they choose. I.E. How will law equate to the Paladin skills and spells? How will War-Priests spells and skills translate to good?

I have seen many Paladins over the years play like very chaotic and many Chaos Lords play very lawful. I would rather see a focus on what they do then a philosophical outlook.

Just a thought.

#2283 - 11/07/08 09:52 AM Re: Guild Vision [Re: Geos Stormos]
addict

Originally Posted By: Cerberus
Order refers to natural law as it pertains to Risla, Iislea, and Nelea and is generally creation oriented while Anarchy is the flow of magic through the natural world and is destruction oriented.
Law covers man's law and is embodied by Celeborn while Chaos is the "law" of demons as exemplified by Marghuul.
Good is righteous protection of the weak and improvement of the self while Evil is enslavement and neglect.
For example:
Law as it equates to Paladins can be seen in spells like Fist of the Justicar, which banishes demons (both bound and pets) on attacks. Spells that hinder or harm the breakers of "Law" would become more prevalent in the guild, and the meaning of "Law" as it pertains to Paladins will be more clearly defined in the guild's Future Plan.

I expect that to be the general progression of all the guilds - the outline will guide what they are capable of, and how they do what they are capable of will be dictated by the guild's relationship to other guilds. This overall dynamic is meant to be the first steps of clearly outlining inter-guild relationships, which will be followed with general guild dynamics, specific guild focuses/goals (this is what we currently have with 'help <guild-name>', and finally variations on the main theme.

#2330 - 12/03/08 05:48 PM Re: Guild Vision [Re: Cerberus]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
For this.. It would be good if you knew something of Moorcocks books, since he basically invented the Law-Chaos conflict.
Some basis about it can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_and_Chaos

But really, reading most of the Elric books should almost be a prerequisite for doing anything on Darke.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric

So much of Darke is, knowingly and unknowingly, based on Elric especially and Moorcock in general.

#2340 - 12/08/08 08:21 AM Re: Guild Vision [Re: Kim]
addict

I... can't... read...

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.011 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.