Who's Online
0 registered and 0 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#375 - 12/05/07 12:48 PM History of the Gods
sabu Offline
journeyman

Loc: wisconsin
The help gods file is in need of a revamp. I think it would be cool to have a bio done for all the gods mentioned. People want to role play and want a reason to give you their god given spells and abilites, it would be nice to go into it further.
#404 - 12/05/07 06:38 PM Re: History of the Gods [Re: sabu]
Siani Offline
stranger

Loc: Hell
Finally a post that I agree with and don't have to get all angry over! I'm currently in my last 2 weeks of school (go me!) so I haven't had time to read through the history I have found...but I would like to have some more God related information on the mud. It's all written by players anyway so why not add to it! Right?

If people would like to submit their ideas about who and what the gods are and stand for I would be happy to work out some bios.

#429 - 12/06/07 10:28 AM Re: History of the Gods [Re: Siani]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
The gods of Darke have been relatively poorly defined in most cases; I think this is on purpose. If a god is too rigidly defined, it doesn't lend itself to a range of roleplay, but locks you in to too rigid a role. There's no piety system (though over the years it has been discussed a number of times) with which to fit a god's bio into, even if there was a bio written.

All that having been said, I'll go out on a limb here and start to write up what I think a few of the gods are actually about:

Marghuul: The epitome of tyrant, Marghuul cares only for the might of his followers. Rather than ruling with an iron fist of law, he is chaos embodied. The actions of those who worship him matter none, so long as they serve to accomplish one of two goals:
  • Returning Marghuul from the Outer Planes to conquer the Shadowlands
  • Spread chaos throughout the order established by Celeborn since his banishment
This ageless ethereal is a true god, bestowing powers upon his followers through dimensional rifts they help him create. His goals are few, but his influence spreads far and wide.

Marghuul's personality has evolved through the ages, going from unwavering confidence in the early days of the Great War to irrational rage at even minor defeats. He has never understood that it was through these passionate rages that small victories for the enemy eventually led to their crushing defeat of he and his armies. Marghuul's rage is both his strongest asset, having risen him above all mortals into true godhood, as well as his ultimate downfall. He delights in chaos and all it brings. He never punishes followers for failures, instead choosing to accept only the greatest as followers. A trait he determines in trials by fire.

Though Marghuul's rage is hot, his hatred runs cold. He is never calculating, instead relying on superior force to overwhelm, confuse, and demoralize opponents. He is no great tactician, favoring passions to rule the day, but recognizes the tactical minds of others both as indespensible tools, and the probable effector of is inevitable release. He only truely hates Celeborn, whom he sees as not only a traitor, but an inferior who's fleeting victories have stretched themselves out too long.

Marghuul's distaste toward order of any kind extends even into his own resources. Never stooping to the level of his enemies, the best of his commanders are often short-changed on resources they would need to accomplish their missions fully because Marghuul has made no efforts to evaluate the likelihood of success. Marghuul himself is a staunch individualist, never relying on another to accomplish anything at all. He takes all credit for accomplishments large and small, though he never cares if a follower contradicts his version of events, preferring to let chaos suffuse through the minds of observers.

The Order of the Blessed Return was so named as a salute to the chaos Marghuul revels in, as it was quickly realized those who wished for the return of their master would require a coherant effort while the misnomer confounded those who would have otherwise quickly quashed any such uprising. Marghuul attracts followers who revel in hate, pain, disease, chaos, ruin, and strife because they are the disaffected. He has no particular taste for anyone, the dregs of society included. These sorts tend to gravitate toward Marghuul as a master because he promises limitless power without ever caring what their vices are.

#1067 - 01/18/08 11:02 AM Re: History of the Gods [Re: Cerberus]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
Since no one else has taken the time to post anything on Gods, I'll let you know that I have decided to write god bios for Immortal eyes only in order not to hamstring player roleplay. The thought is that by giving immortals concrete knowledge of the gods they will code appropriate mobs, spells, skills, and items based on their intimate knowledge of the god in question when applied to current player RP.

In other words, while it won't help players determine the 'best' roleplay for a particular god, it will allow aspects of the mud to be shaped with a god's best interests in mind. Any thoughts?

#1685 - 04/03/08 06:38 PM Re: History of the Gods [Re: Cerberus]
Madoc Offline

There are already immortal history files ja?
#1737 - 04/09/08 07:57 PM Re: History of the Gods [Re: Madoc]
Rancid Offline

I think its a great idea to create more extensive bios for the God's of the realm. As an extended idea to this I always thought it would be neat to have built in to the world lore system the skill of worship similar to the world lore skill in that once one attained the skill they would be able to choose a god to worship. The idea being they would receive certain blessings of that deity. To keep balance intact I would think it should be a skill that you would acquire early. Considering that recent changes have made starting level 1 there could be blessings of that deity that would mildly help combat and or skills.

Just an idea.

Rancid

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.