Who's Online
0 registered and 0 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2123 - 08/02/08 03:26 AM Bringing the gods of Shadowlands to life
Quaan Offline
stranger

Loc: Sweden
Places of worship
This is mostly an idea to encourage interaction and role playing, something the mud is lacking badly.

Toady anyone can choose a god to worship, except those guilds that are dedicated to a certain god. This has no effect whatsoever except for the RP part which almost never is considered anymore.

This is my idea:
Temples dedicated to each of the selectable gods. These would be small areas of a few rooms, at least more than one.

Being in the temple dedicated to your god would help your regeneration slightly.
Reversed, being in the temple of a rival god would lower your regeneration.
Other effects here? Skill bonuses? Ideas are welcome.

A "aggrolist" for each god would have to be made, i.e. Marghuul would not like a follower of Celeborn in his temple, but accept say maybe Tobin. Note that a follower of Tobin in this case wouldn't get any positive effects, but neither negative, i.e. those gods not on the god's aggrolist would just be neutral.

To make things more interesting followers of an opposing god would be able to desecrate the temple of said god, one room at the time, through a ritual longterm that would take a lot of time, but less time depending on how many participate in the ritual. The desecrated room would no longer benefit the followers of the temple's god. They in turn would have to drive out the intruders and reverse the effect through a similar ritual to cleanse the room.

You would only be able to desecrate the temple of an "enemy" god, determined by above mentioned aggrolist. Would followers of a god neutral to the desecrated temple be able to aid in the cleansing? Would worshipers of different gods be able to help each other desecrate an enemy temple?

The aggrolist would have to be made so that the aggro is always mutual, i.e. if one god has somebody on its enemy list that god has said god on its list, tho I guess thats not really so strange.

The temples would have "mana"-like stat that would be replenished by a short long-term (worship? ritual worshiping?) and sacrifices of some sort (again, depending on what the god accepts, maybe human sacrifices for Marguul?).

This mana can then be used by the gods followers to pray for aid. what this would be would again depend on the god. Both the worshiping and the praying for aid would only be possible in the temple, and probably only in the altar room of the temple. This would of course be unavailable if the room has been desecrated.

What types of aid would be available? Healing, replenish food/water would be pretty much standard for every god I guess. Praying (as in when you're dead) in your would give very slightly less dc perhaps?
Would be interesting if additionally a few spells that corresponding guild have access to where available, e.g. Risla could grant a low-power blessing of agility or knowledge. It would need some thought for some gods that don't have their own guild but it shouldn't be too hard to sort it out.

Note that none of these powers would be the equal of those that a player would give, not that the gods are weak but this would simply be for balance.

Perhaps desecrating an "enemy" temple would give a small boost to your own temples manapool to encourage desecration. Reverse maybe having all your rooms cleansed would unlock an extra power of some sort?

One thought here is, would we need some kind of devotion rank for the players, deciding on how much aid you can call on? I.e. if one player does all the worshiping, should another player be able to come and make use of all the stored mana without contributing himself? A devotion rank would shift upwards when you engage in worshiping, cleansing and desecrating, lower when praying for aid and decay over time, food/water-like.

I do understand that this is an extensive but still quite rough idea that needs a lot of consideration especially balance wise and that our player base might be a tad on the small side to make it interesting, but it would be nice to bring the gods more into the game and foremost encourage interaction and role playing.

And yes, this would only move people to another place to idle, but hopefully it would at least be a place where they hopefully interact with others.

Edited by Quaan (08/02/08 03:42 AM)
Edit Reason: typos and stuff

#2132 - 08/17/08 02:57 AM Re: Bringing the gods of Shadowlands to life [Re: Quaan]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
I'm hoping to make the moons, gods, and story line of Darke more prominent and enjoyable. This will take time to do. Right now I'm working on getting a combat guide together and on a new area.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.