Who's Online
0 registered and 34 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#888 - 12/17/07 06:46 PM World Map
Daniel Offline
stranger

Its nice to have a big world. Lots of places to build your castle that feel hidden.

Yet, its so hard to get from Kuril to the troll caves.

And, when looking at the map there is a prime location for the Ent Grove on this island up north. One might say that map was designed with that ent grove in mind cause there is a little dot for it. But, we will never know because there is no path over those waves.

Can we get more walkable paths around the map? some holes in those unpathable waves, some mountain passes in those LONG LONG mountain chains. Walking back to Akkad from Sa'akran is the pits.

#1046 - 01/16/08 12:12 PM Re: World Map [Re: Daniel]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
 Originally Posted By: Daniel
Its nice to have a big world. Lots of places to build your castle that feel hidden.
I agree. Among other things, the sheer size of the world map has kept me feeling that I've still never explored more than half of it. Although it might just be that I haven't explored more than half of it. I think this is in part because there are so few things that draw players away from the cities and xp areas - really the only time I spend on the world map is the time it takes to hop from one transport rune to another, right now.

Would the possibility of stumbling across dynamic world events like
  • abandoned mine shafts
  • ancient ruins
  • fledgling adventurers
  • flash fires
  • fragments of a unique text/tome/treatise
or the like make the world any more interesting, or would it detract from the mainstays of Darke (namely, static areas)?

Originally Posted By: Daniel
Can we get more walkable paths around the map? some holes in those unpathable waves, some mountain passes in those LONG LONG mountain chains. Walking back to Akkad from Sa'akran is the pits.
I don't know what the plan is for traversing treacherous terrain, but I will add it to the next Immortal meeting agenda since we've gone nearly a month without any responses in this topic. I think it would be interesting to return fatigue movement or slowed travel to the map for climbing mountains, deep ocean swimming, and other as-of-now-impassable terrain types.

Anyone else have any opinions on the world map as a whole?

#1449 - 03/14/08 12:59 PM Re: World Map [Re: Cerberus]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
This wasn't discussed at an Immortal meeting (truth be told, I've forgotten to put it on the agenda... ever. heh) but I've talked with a number of players and a couple of wizards about what to do about this.

Initially we thought it might be nice to have the random events something like what I outlined above, but a few players weren't interested in a randomly generated dungeon type system so it was put down. Currently we have campfires randomly spawn on the world map, but nothing ever spawns in them - we could use this same sort of code to make randomly populated randomly generating areas - thoughts on that?

We have talked about making the world map more accessable in terms of crossing mountains and oceans, but the feeling is that we should be implementing systems for this - skills for mountaineering or ships for ocean travel. Any thoughts on this?

#1450 - 03/14/08 02:45 PM Re: World Map [Re: Cerberus]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
Random thought: Air Flights to certain locations.

There could be a few Air-Ports where some sort of flying machine or creature (giant dragon-engine) carries people quickly from Point A to Point B.

I would imagine Akkad and Sak'raan could have one and of course there would be a fee for using it.

I would also however add the ability for players to add such a port to their castles for a price. This would be a room with an exit to the world map attached to the castle either on the same square or an ajacent square that wouldn't be trapable.

It could of course be expanded to have secret ports that you must know the location of... etc.

I originally thought regular boat ports would be great except that many of the water supplies are unconnected.

#1477 - 03/18/08 12:25 PM Re: World Map [Re: Charon]
MacTORG Administrator Offline
Keeper of the Elder Eddas
enthusiast

Loc: Oregon
I love that idea of Air-ports via magical or flying something. then have optional rooms for castles that can have a pirch on the tower or something. then you can have either an unique name location or cordinates to x,y but that would cost more because it might be outside the normal traffic lanes.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.