Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1538 - 03/23/08 07:07 PM Sylvan/Faerie Races
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Currently, we have only one Sylvan/Faerie Race: sprites. And sprites are great and fun (I currently have two of them, so count me a sprite fan).

But I think it would be fun to have more faerie races. Pixie was one I thought would be fun. Smaller even than sprites. Such an extreme race (huge drawbacks and benefits) would be a challenge to play, but fun, hopefully.

Other possibilities for sylvan/faerie races could be dryads, nyads, nymphs, imps, satyrs, fauns, brownies and nixies.

I am not suggesting that they all be added, but some possibilities for new races in that category. One faerie race is not enough!

I am suggesting pixies. \:\)

#1543 - 03/23/08 11:18 PM Re: Sylvan/Faerie Races [Re: Minstrel]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
Here's the racial writeup I'm going with:

Aos-si : These tiny pixies usually stand no more than a foot tall, though they vary greatly in all other respects. Known as commonly as pixies, brownies, and properly as the Aos-si, these sylvan creatures were made in the decadence preceeding the Great War. They live in the earth and trees usually, but can also be found in homes where they are sometimes seen as a nuisance and other times as a great boon. Generally less excitable than their Sprite cousins, they are best known for changing small things for better or worse.
  • Stats
    • Cha: +10
    • Com: +10
    • Con: -10
    • Dex: +30
    • End: -10
    • Int: -10
    • Mem: +5
    • Rea: +10
    • Str: -5
    • Wil: --
    • Wis: --
  • Hp Regen: Above Average
  • Mp Regen: Average
  • Sight: Above Average
  • Natural Weapons: Hands (crushing)
  • Natural Armour: None
  • Innate Skills: Yes
  • Innate Spells: Yes
  • Body Size: Tiny
  • Special:
    • Vulnerability - Mithril
    • Vulnerability - Elrodnite
Vulnerability is different than weakness, by the way - Instead of being an enhance critical to a damage type, it's a boost of damage from given materials.

#1544 - 03/23/08 11:29 PM Re: Sylvan/Faerie Races [Re: Cerberus]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Hmm, I find this conception of pixie confusing.

It's less extreme than a sprite? Are you conceiving of pixies as larger than sprites? I thought the idea was that pixies were even tinier. Even at tiny size, the negatives and positives seem way too close to normal.

Also, the "vulnerabilities" seem a bit random. Why fire metal and cold metal? And there don't seem to be any corresponding positives to cancel out these negatives, though I guess without knowing the xp mod, it's hard to say.

Finally, the name seems a little odd considering all the other races. We have "high-elf," "ogre," "hill-giant" and..."aos-si"? It would seem that "pixie" would much better fit the style of the other races. And "pixie" is a great, evocative word.

#1545 - 03/23/08 11:44 PM Re: Sylvan/Faerie Races [Re: Minstrel]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
 Originally Posted By: help race sprite
Sprites stand about one to two feet tall with rainbow tinted gossamer wings
That would mean pixies are smaller than even the tiniest sprite.

I've concepted them as less "extreme", yes. They're a more subdued - tricksters still, but less for the novelty of the thing and more for the change it evokes in the world that others must contend with. If you wikipedia 'pixie' you might see where this idea came from.

Classically, pixies are allergic to silver. We don't have silver, but iron would do. Instead of chosing iron, which seems like it would be a common weapon type at lower levels, I chose other metals that are likely to be available in midrange mobs, as well as the end game. Presumably the race itself would be enjoyable and well made enough not to require direct correlation between vulnerabilities and resistances.

I agree on the name. Pixie or brownie would easily be better.

#1546 - 03/23/08 11:48 PM Re: Sylvan/Faerie Races [Re: Cerberus]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

This is an idea I had for pixies. Just a suggestion.

-------------------------------------------------------

Pixies are the hummingbirds of sentient life. They are similar to their cousins, the sprites, but much less reliable. They are capricious and live only in the moment, with little memory for the past or conception of the future. They are under a foot in height and burn like intense flames, bright but quickly consuming their energy. They flit from endeavour to endeavour on dragonfly-like wings.

• Stats
    • Cha: -10
    • Com: +10
    • Con: -40
    • Dex: +75
    • End: -30
    • Int: +10
    • Mem: -10
    • Rea: +50
    • Str: -50
    • Wil: -10
    • Wis: -25
  • Hp Regen: Average
  • Mp Regen: Average
  • Sight: Above Average
  • Natural Weapons: Hands
  • Natural Armour: None
  • Innate Skills: Yes
  • Innate Spells: Yes
  • Body Size: Wee
  • Special:
    • Fast Metabolism
    • Winged Flight
    • Magic Resistance

-------------------------------------------------------

They are extreme, in my conception. "Wee" would be a size down from "tiny" which means less hit points than even sprites (but also the benefits of being smaller to combat). I expect that they'd be hard to play, but not impossible and fun for a certain style.

#1548 - 03/24/08 07:29 AM Re: Sylvan/Faerie Races [Re: Minstrel]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
When I heard the idea of pixie, I have to say, I totally see it more like Minstrel's idea than Harold's (sorry Harold). I don't think having another generic race with "normal" things is really worth it to be added, we have enough mundane races as it is imho. I especially picture any race that is 'tiny' to have at least -25 to str too, I mean, common, they are 2 feet tall, how can they pick up heavy things (yes, I realize they are magical).

I also really like the idea of the 'weakness' aspect of other races changed into something more along the lines of the vulnerability, but using the damage type and not the metal to determine how much damage might be added. I think the amount of damage added of course needs to be looked at in great detail, but it's better than increasing the critting ability as much as the weaknesses do.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.009 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.