Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#782 - 12/14/07 11:50 AM carpentry
sabu Offline
journeyman

Loc: wisconsin
I believe the different wood types should affect damage on a weapon even if it is a mineral weapon. It would make lumberjack and carpentry worth more to have.
#783 - 12/14/07 11:52 AM Re: carpentry [Re: sabu]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
I agree with that. A mithril axe with harmon wood that does holy and fire would add another level of depth to the weapon making process. I would suggest though that the boards be of a certain size in order to add the effect though.

#791 - 12/14/07 12:42 PM Re: carpentry [Re: Charon]
Azarepth Offline
stranger

Hmm, I like the idea of wood adding a different dimension to weapon-making. It seems like something that could be useful for leatherworking too, actually. Better crafted leather on a sword grip could increase accuracy by a trivial amount, etc. Cool stuff.
#792 - 12/14/07 12:59 PM Re: carpentry [Re: Azarepth]
mathias Offline

A desper / iys axe combination for a dual wielding CL would be lethal.
#883 - 12/17/07 05:07 PM Re: carpentry [Re: mathias]
Daniel Offline
stranger

Crafting of certain weapon types already requires wood, like crafting a mace.

This area could be expanded. I certainly think adding value to thinks like carpentry and leather working would make our darke lore all the more intriguing.

Its kinda blah and annoying to see that everyone (yes, i'm generalizing and I know it), everyone uses one handed sword if its in their guild, and knife skill if they can't use sword or have a low dev mod.

By giving carpentry that extra umph we might find people would take that extra incentive to diversify their arsenal.

#893 - 12/17/07 11:15 PM Re: carpentry [Re: Daniel]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Daniel
Crafting of certain weapon types already requires wood, like crafting a mace.

Yes. sabu was saying that the wood of such weapons should affect the powers of the weapon.

Quote:
Its kinda blah and annoying to see that everyone (yes, i'm generalizing and I know it), everyone uses one handed sword if its in their guild

Generalizing is okay. Completely wrong generalizations are bad. Everyone uses blade if it's available? I wonder when the last time was that a Nightblade trained blade as their primary weapon.

"Everyone" goes knife if it's available because it's the cheapest weapon. Beyond knife, many use axe due to the same cheap dev cost. After that, it's a crapshoot. Essentially, people gravitate to the cheapest weapon available.

#1047 - 01/16/08 12:35 PM Re: carpentry [Re: Minstrel]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
I wonder if there's any merit to the thought that player's weapon choices would have more variation to them if there were more variation in their capabilities.

In other words, everyone trains the lowest dev cost weapon they can for their guild currently because (as I understand it) there are no appreciable differences between weapons after they have been crafted fully (runes and enchantments). By capping the capacity of each weapon, one would have to weigh the benefits of training a cheaper weapon skill against the fact that later in their training that weapon would simply be not as good as a higher capacity weapon type. This is not to say that a knife couldn't be enchanted just as much as a two handed polearm, just that equally crafted items of these different types would be of different power levels in combat.

In the hands of equally skilled warriors, the two weapons would be comparable, but a two handed polearm user would have the benefit of dealing more damage (on average - as they would have a higher maximum damage output) while the knife wielder would have (had) the benefit of paying fewer devs for the same amount of skill.

I can see this as one way of helping to balance weapons, and am in no way implying that it is up here for anything more than open discussion. Please note this means that there are currently no plans to enact any ideas that may be presented here as changes to Darkemud. This is only spitballing ideas for variation, flavor, and balance.

Weapons used are generally the same among all players, as Daniel pointed out (even if he failed to use the proper example), and I for one don't feel this is right with the wide range of weaponry Darkemud has to offer. New players (presuming there are still any truely new players to muds) are often unaware that there is a "best" weapon to choose and, in opposition to the support I've given thus far, this could result in only adding another layer of complexity that will soon be mapped out with a new "best" found, if a poorly made change were carried out.

Am I off base (in addition to slightly off topic) in thinking that this might be a servicable idea though? Do weapons even need to be examined for balance, or is it alright that everyone uses the same weapon type(s)? Are weapons in general too powerful, too weak, or is there a wide enough disparity between those who know the best ways to make them and those who don't that it isn't an issue so easily generalized?

#1049 - 01/16/08 04:19 PM Re: carpentry [Re: Cerberus]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
"n the hands of equally skilled warriors, the two weapons would be comparable, but a two handed polearm user would have the benefit of dealing more damage (on average - as they would have a higher maximum damage output) while the knife wielder would have (had) the benefit of paying fewer devs for the same amount of skill."

Maybe on the right track, but not exactly there. I think It'd be a good idea to give some different.. abilities to different weapon types. Like.. SOme weapons good to parry with, others have a penalty. Others are hard to parry against (penalty for the one attacked to parry), some are easier to parry, some are harder to dodge, others easier to dodge. It's easier to dodge while using a knife, while dodging while using a 2h polearm is harder, and so on. Combine it with giving every weapon skill cost 5, and there opens for a lot of variety.

Other than that, innate damage (High cutting for axes, low cutting for knifes and so forth) might be looked at. Currently I have no idea how high/low it is. For example for cutting, is the difference between a knife and an axe more than 10% after a nica bonnes? Is it 50%? I mean, logically the difference should be enormous, but this is Darke \:\)

"Am I off base (in addition to slightly off topic) in thinking that this might be a servicable idea though? Do weapons even need to be examined for balance, or is it alright that everyone uses the same weapon type(s)? "

Well, I've wanted to use flail some time.. But it's just too expensive compared to.. anything.

#1052 - 01/17/08 01:18 AM Re: carpentry [Re: Kim]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
I don't think it would be a terrible idea to even remove some of the weapon types. Two handed blunt for instance isn't something I think any of the guilds who have it would wnat to train. Plus, I think it would be easier to give unique properties to weapons, if say Kim's idea was put in, that all skills have 5 dev cost, if some of the weapon types were removed. Not all of them, but just some of the ones that seem kind of pointless. Then again, if they are all kept, and if they were all not made pointless, I suppose that might be better.

In some ways, I think the most common weapon types are going to remain the same at least for a little while, no matter what changes are put in, simply because of the availability of most of these weapons. If I made a char who needed blade, I could ask a friend if they have a decent sword. If I made a char who uses say, flail, I don't know anyone, and would have a hard time finding one. I'd for sure have to have it made.

#1084 - 01/18/08 01:08 PM Re: carpentry [Re: carmy]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
 Originally Posted By: carmy
I don't think it would be a terrible idea to even remove some of the weapon types. Two handed blunt for instance isn't something I think any of the guilds who have it would wnat to train. Plus, I think it would be easier to give unique properties to weapons, if say Kim's idea was put in, that all skills have 5 dev cost, if some of the weapon types were removed. Not all of them, but just some of the ones that seem kind of pointless. Then again, if they are all kept, and if they were all not made pointless, I suppose that might be better.

In some ways, I think the most common weapon types are going to remain the same at least for a little while, no matter what changes are put in, simply because of the availability of most of these weapons. If I made a char who needed blade, I could ask a friend if they have a decent sword. If I made a char who uses say, flail, I don't know anyone, and would have a hard time finding one. I'd for sure have to have it made.
That's pretty much the point, I think. If most of the weapon types were removed pretty much no one would be impacted by that change. It's boring to have a mud full of carbon copies, however, so I don't favor removing the weapon types at all.
 Originally Posted By: Kim
Combine it with giving every weapon skill cost 5, and there opens for a lot of variety.
I much prefer making differences in weapon types matter along these lines. I had initially assumed that weapon types having different dev costs would stay, but there's no reason to assume that. If they all cost the same and it's merely the style of combat that changes, it would encourage players to pick a more diverse selection of weapons based on the sort of combat they wished to take part in, so I agree fully with Kim's assessment.
 Originally Posted By: Kim
Other than that, innate damage (High cutting for axes, low cutting for knifes and so forth) might be looked at. Currently I have no idea how high/low it is. For example for cutting, is the difference between a knife and an axe more than 10% after a nica bonnes? Is it 50%? I mean, logically the difference should be enormous, but this is Darke
I don't believe there is any difference at all, after items are enchanted. That was my initial point, and the reason I went for caps to damage output for different weapon types. Another obvious solution is presented by Kim: runes and enchantments adding wc based on percentages of the wc of the weapon they're added to, rather than static amounts. I may be wrong in this (I haven't done any testing in recent years) but I believe the amounts added by any source to any weapon are static amounts.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Hop to:
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.