Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124 - 11/29/07 01:42 PM Does anyone remember rabbits on the world map?
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
I want world map denizens to return. There's even seasons and weather now, so we can have different creatures for different seasons or weather! Yet another thing a newbie wizard could sink their teeth into...

#156 - 11/30/07 09:56 AM Re: Does anyone remember rabbits on the world map? [Re: Cerberus]
addict

So does anyone remember these? When you could hunt rabbits on the world map, and wolves were dangerous? With four seasons, at least three weather patterns (I've only seen rain, snow, and clear days), and at least a dozen different terrain types it seems like a whole ecosystem could be planned and executed.

Everyone's taken Biology 101, so I'll spare you the basics, but with a system to track what season it is already in place, those seasons could easily alter spawn rates. With a weather system already in place, different weathers could both alter spawn rates or entirely shift the types of creatures spawned. Making mini-ecosystems would be no more difficult than deciding what the creatures available are, and putting them into predator and prey classes.

You could go further and have the predator classes ratchet up in levels as the prey spawns become more common (apex predators can hunt anything, so more of anything means better times for them). There are so many possibilities that while they wouldn't necessarily provide anything useful to the mud do give it a unique flavor and resource to fan the flames of roleplaying.

A sample environmental type could be as follows:
Swamp
=====
Prey Level W S U F Predator Level W S U F
----------- ----- - - - - ---------------- ----- - - - -
Raccoon 1-3 - + + = Water Snake 3-5 - = + +
Turtle 1 - = + - Constrictor 4-6 - - + =
Crane 2 + = - + Aligator 8 - = + =
Raven 3 + = = + Will-o'-the-Wisp 8-12 + - - +
Catfish 2 = = + -

Anyway, just a quick belting out of an idea. Not really well thought out at all, but I'm curious if anyone thinks that this might be fun. Some creatures would be agressive, but this could be determined by season and relative scarcity of prey mobs in the area...

#157 - 11/30/07 10:12 AM Re: Does anyone remember rabbits on the world map? [Re: Cerberus]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
And make animal transformation vaguely useful again as a side effect!!
#158 - 11/30/07 10:21 AM Re: Does anyone remember rabbits on the world map? [Re: Kim]
sabu Offline
journeyman

Loc: wisconsin
Yea, i remember mountain lion hell. Walking to elf town or gobtown and getting jumped by that level 7 mountain lion o death. fun times fun times.
#160 - 11/30/07 10:56 AM Re: Does anyone remember rabbits on the world map? [Re: sabu]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
That was awesome though. I was killed a few times by lions.

I guess the further away from "civilization" (our one populated continent) the bigger and badder they could get too. Might be neat to try and xp on the world map trying to hunt down a wandering giant tribe or a pack of dire wolves.

#163 - 11/30/07 11:25 AM Re: Does anyone remember rabbits on the world map? [Re: Charon]
addict

I've always thought animal transformation would remain patently useless until we had a working were-creature system. Does anyone remember that? About a year before CMS goes in, were-creatures are removed and we're told they'll be back with CMS, but not as races... as afflictions! Sounds fun, don't it?

Obviously it would be best to scale the scarcity of prey (which would then scale the scarcity of predators as a side effect) up the further you get from civilization. This same system could also be used to make a virtual "nomad band" area I'm betting, with wandering giant tribes or the like...

#167 - 11/30/07 11:33 AM Re: Does anyone remember rabbits on the world map? [Re: Cerberus]
sabu Offline
journeyman

on another note, remember the rail system that went back and forth between citys
#168 - 11/30/07 11:35 AM Re: Does anyone remember rabbits on the world map? [Re: sabu]
addict

Uhh, no. I don't remember any rail system. Ever. Was that on Darke at some point?

It doesn't seem very Darke-esque, and I can't imagine the reason for it when we've had perfectly good transport runes forever.

Returning to the mobs on the map idea, would anyone like to help me compile a list of weathers, terrain types, and potential animal fits?

Seasons:
  • Winter
  • Spring
  • Summer
  • Fall
Weather:
  • Clear
  • Raining
  • Snowing
Terrain:
Animals:
  • Rabbit
  • Mountain Lion
  • Goat
  • Sheep
  • Deer
  • Wolf
  • Boar
  • Snake

#169 - 11/30/07 11:45 AM Re: Does anyone remember rabbits on the world map? [Re: Cerberus]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
The rail system existed.. For a very brief time. It took a LONG time to get between cities that way...

I think it was a horse-drawn coach though, not rail...

And I remember if you stood in a room when the coach entered, it ripped your bandage off... Owie!

#170 - 11/30/07 01:06 PM Re: Does anyone remember rabbits on the world map? [Re: Kim]
sabu Offline
journeyman

why stop with animals, why not humanoids too.

Bands of bandits
kobolds, goblins, gnolls, and what not..

also bring back ships

Page 1 of 3 123>

Hop to:
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.