Who's Online
0 registered and 14 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1375 - 03/06/08 01:20 PM Lock Enchantment Changes
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
While making the fix for locked enchantments not "using up" your one cast every X minutes I came across comments in the code that indicated there were plans to enable instant duration and targeted spells to be locked. I, of course, began to enable them. The fix for locked enchantments not using up a cast if the spell is still active, the weapon is wielded, etc, is done, but there's more!

Without having done any testing, I'm 80% confident the fixes are usable as they now exist, but now I need everyone's help before taking the changes live. If this is to go in (and I'd like to see it happen - that's why I spent the time to do it) I need a list of spells that could be abusable if they were locked. For instance, haste is not an acceptable spell to lock, and neither is transport, same for portal. These would not be disabled from being locked, only from being activated (yes, this means you could waste enchanting space on a weapon you were locking, thus the reason why I wouldn't want players to test it on live)

Please list as many spells as you can think of that are even questionable because of so much as their iconic nature for a guild. I'd rather look at them all and disable every single spell than start off having missed a key spell that will only take up enchanting space on an item when it finally is caught (the way the changes are done allows us to update every item after reboot automatically so even if it was legal to lock and activate before it will only be wasted space after).

There will be testing done (on test, oddly enough) as to the viability of this change, and if it's determined to be abusable even after the safeguards it won't happen at all; I'll just put the change to spell failure in and leave it at that. I'll be trying to find all the spells I can that would be questionable as well, but there are more of you and some of you are probably all more familiar with the spells we have on Darke than I am.

Also, I'm considering making a level requirement for activating locks and want to hear opinions on this. It would curtail the combat xp gain rate of lower levels by non-newbie players primarily I believe, but I don't know how people feel about this (is it your right as an old player to give your new character gear that makes them more viable than new players?). It seems like the ones it would hurt most are the established players who have the resources to make new characters with great gear, but I don't know that to be true. Here's how it would work: plasma blade lock activation would not be possible for your character even if you had the skill to wield it before level 16. The spell is a level 16 spell and would require a player to be at least level 16 before that player could activate it. This would not stop someone from having a higher level player activate the spells on a weapon and then using that weapon (I wouldn't want to stop that anyway).

#1379 - 03/06/08 04:24 PM Re: Lock Enchantment Changes [Re: Cerberus]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

As for level restrictions on activating locks, I think the same about that as level restrictions on wielding weapons or wearing armour: I think it's a fairly silly and contrived thing that most MUDs implement and I was always glad Darke didn't. It doesn't make any realistic sense that weapons or armour are "too powerful" for someone to use without some artificial explanation.

I'm sure people could accuse me, a long-time player, of wanting to keep it out for the reason Harold mentioned: being able to bequeath superior weapons to my new characters. All I can say is that that is not my motivation. In a level playing field, I know I'll succeed, regardless of the rules. Either everyone will be slower, and I will be faster, or everyone will be faster and I will be even faster.

My motivation is simply that I prefer to keep "MUD logic," that makes little realistic sense, to a minimum.

#1380 - 03/06/08 04:38 PM Re: Lock Enchantment Changes [Re: Minstrel]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Also, as far as locking non-weapon spells...as far as I can think, anything particularly useful is quite abuseable, via locking it to multiple weapons, multiple times to weapons, etc.

I think lock enchantment is probably fine as it is.

Even rings with "charges" can be easily abused by making lots of rings.

Don't get me wrong...expanding lock enchantment would be great, great fun to play with. It would just be very unbalancing, I think, and decrease the game's fun in the long-run. It would turn Darke into DBR or War...a sort of cartoon version of Darke.

I do greatly appreciate you fixing the overactivation bug though, Harold. Thanks. It's nice to have an active, committed wizard.

#1381 - 03/06/08 04:39 PM Re: Lock Enchantment Changes [Re: Cerberus]
Muod Offline

Loc: MA/CA
great fix!

I say level restirctions are horrible, i'm against them entirely just on principle since if i get the wield I should be able to use what i can get.

if I cant get locks of haste then whats the point? also will locks only on weapons, i mean silly to have a boa lock on a weapon, what about on armour? but really it'll get abusible fast. lots of spells werent meant to use in combination.

#1384 - 03/07/08 12:16 AM Re: Lock Enchantment Changes [Re: Muod]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
In addition, if all spells are lockable, like BoA, BoK, lich form, call divine strength, divine might or any other stat modifying skills, not only will it make some people uber powerful all the time, it will cut down on player interaction. I ask clerics and necros for spells all the time, and as a cleric before, I had spellup requests almost 2-3 time an hour. I found it annoying, but one of the things that is great about our MUD are those interactions, and making it so that we don't only rely on ourselves.
#1387 - 03/07/08 08:23 AM Re: Lock Enchantment Changes [Re: carmy]
addict

Thanks for all the input on locking targetable spells. It won't be happening via my efforts.

Working on fixing a stacking error brought to my attention instead.

#1390 - 03/07/08 02:44 PM Re: Lock Enchantment Changes [Re: Cerberus]
addict

This is mostly for my own reference, but also to let people know what's happening tonight. I've apparently gathered a fairly large set of changes without having fully tested or implemented any of them. Please don't hesitate to post any comments or concerns.

Barring any outcry, bugs, or gross oversight these should all be coming in soon:

Innate skills - These will no longer add to your cost to train the skill in your guild. What this means is that if player A has 10% magery innate and player B has 0% magery innate, player A will pay the same cost when training from 10-11% as player B will when training from 0-1%.

Warding rune - These will correctly set their owner when placed in save rooms, and log intruders if their owner isn't online with a chance of recording the time at which the intruder entered based on power level. There is no plan currently to make these no clean objects

Lock Enchantment - This will properly track stacking and no longer waste the charge if activated while the spell is still active.

Spells - Skill/Stat Mod, and Protection type spells will all switch to hooks. No change in play should be noticed.

Damned Souls - These will take on the long description of the player they are the soul of.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.