Who's Online
0 registered and 26 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#901 - 12/18/07 05:30 AM If no Pwipe - Ideas for HM/High Level characters.. ****
Shadowraith Administrator Offline

So if the Pwipe does not happen, toss up some ideas here for things that HM's (or sufficiently high level characters) can do to make life more interesting.

Im interested in all ideas save areas. We have another thread for areas and to be honest, the mud does need areas, but they take a long time to code and at high levels are just a new place to grind generally. High level chars need more in the mud than just new places to go kill things.

So throw up any idea, doesn't mean it will be implmented but maybe something will come of it. Ie, maybe they can "train other" where they can give up some of their experience to someone lower level, say at a 10 to 1 or more ratio. Doesnt hurt them hardly at all but would make them able to really assist lower levels to a point. Just an example.

#916 - 12/18/07 12:28 PM Re: If no Pwipe - Ideas for HM/High Level characters.. [Re: Shadowraith]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Okej... For Highmortals there is PK and looting really... That SHOULD be enough. It always was for me, though with a slightly higher Playerbase. If the playerbase is decent, no added options for HMs is necessary, really, in my opinion.

Well, there is Dregans area too. Me (Aravis the paladin) and Octavian fighting in there for several days, over a week, is one of my funnest Darke memories.

#918 - 12/18/07 12:42 PM Re: If no Pwipe - Ideas for HM/High Level characters.. [Re: Kim]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

There's also developing one's character from a depth perspective. Octavian was pretty boring (except when he was graced by Aravis' presence) but Luna and Shana have spent almost 99% of the hours since reaching HM just interacting with others (the other 1% is PK and looting...fun!).
#921 - 12/18/07 12:54 PM Re: If no Pwipe - Ideas for HM/High Level characters.. [Re: Minstrel]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
Should get Harold to finish up Dregan's ;\)
Also SW and I had a quick interesting discussion on the random dungeon generator.

Imagine if you could form a party, enter a random themed dungeon filled with random mobs from a particular theme.

Wylliam created an NPC generator that's great and creates mobs that are similar to player characters that could also inhabit the area. For example you turn around a corner and there could be a couple of Demon Lord spelled up CLs waiting for you with a few pets.

Not to mention that every level would get more and more difficult.

Add in some sort of party-xp system and the risk would be worth the (good) chance of death.

There would of course be checks and balances to ensure that we don't have 3 level 60s and a level 10.... etc.

Anyways, just an idea.. but that would certainly be something HMs could look forward to.

#923 - 12/18/07 01:48 PM Re: If no Pwipe - Ideas for HM/High Level characte [Re: Charon]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Charon
Should get Harold to finish up Dregan's ;\)
Also SW and I had a quick interesting discussion on the random dungeon generator.

Imagine if you could form a party, enter a random themed dungeon filled with random mobs from a particular theme.

Wylliam created an NPC generator that's great and creates mobs that are similar to player characters that could also inhabit the area. For example you turn around a corner and there could be a couple of Demon Lord spelled up CLs waiting for you with a few pets.

Not to mention that every level would get more and more difficult.

Add in some sort of party-xp system and the risk would be worth the (good) chance of death.

There would of course be checks and balances to ensure that we don't have 3 level 60s and a level 10.... etc.

Anyways, just an idea.. but that would certainly be something HMs could look forward to.

It sounds clever technically, but rather breaking the spirit of the MUD as a consistent world. In a sense, it's too video game-ish, rather than a part of a coherent world.

I'm in favour of new areas that are intelligent and have realistic mobs...but not in this format, where you get a random theme and random creatures. Maybe it's simply personal preference, but I like areas crafted to be something specific rather than random-adventure generators.

#925 - 12/18/07 01:52 PM Re: If no Pwipe - Ideas for HM/High Level characte [Re: Minstrel]
Ganelon
Unregistered

I liked how old Ash worked with sergeants (?) patrolling it so they could walk on you while you were whacking a scout. HIgher-level areas shoudl have something similar, nost just static mobs.
#926 - 12/18/07 01:54 PM Re: If no Pwipe - Ideas for HM/High Level characte [Re: ]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Ganelon
I liked how old Ash worked with sergeants (?) patrolling it so they could walk on you while you were whacking a scout. HIgher-level areas shoudl have something similar, nost just static mobs.

Yes, that is very true. Intelligent, dynamic mobs are very good ideas. Mobs that act realistically...shout to alert others, block exits if they're winning (using the same block code players use, not a silly auto-block)...things like that.

#930 - 12/18/07 05:50 PM Re: If no Pwipe - Ideas for HM/High Level characte [Re: Minstrel]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
What about something that allows a larger player to use up their resources, especially mcgrail. The castle system is really outdated, we all know that. I remember Helios was thinking of making player-run sort of 'cities' where you can build roads and buildings and kind of dedicate purposes for them, maybe like player run shops, inns, pubs, anything. It could have mobs patroling that could perhaps be programmed to disallow entry of certain people etc...

This could be an opportunity to increase the amount of player made content as well as a way to have people socialize and RP in a neat sort of way. If you're looking to increase HM perks, here would be another way as well, to limit this to people of a certain social status kind of the way it was in the old days.

#933 - 12/18/07 06:22 PM Re: If no Pwipe - Ideas for HM/High Level characte [Re: carmy]
mathias Offline

Bring back some of the old "legend" stuff for HMs. Like the entire mud dc wiping ability but limit it to x times per day or reboot.
#946 - 12/19/07 03:41 AM Re: If no Pwipe - Ideas for HM/High Level characte [Re: carmy]
Guinness
Unregistered

I like the idea to allow HMs building living place - "improved" castle.

Also, in addition, to do not allow HMs get bored, I would suggest:

1. HMs may be allowed to train some unique spells/skills related to their guild. Make few to choice from, but you can train only 1 from the list.

2. Those unique spells/skills may be allowed by joining HM-guild or open Prestige class(es) for each guild. You choice new class for your char and train new abilities.

It could be cool to have "ALIGNMENT" for HMs. So, GOOD and EVIL chars could only pick allowed for their alignment classes, skills, spells. That should add some RPing in the game as well.

Regards,
-Guinness

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.