Who's Online
0 registered and 0 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1307 - 02/25/08 04:39 PM Feb 08 Project News
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
In keeping with the precedent set by my previous Project News post, a project update is below. The weekly phone-in meeting of the Immortals of Darkemud usually has 2 or 3 people: MacTORG, Charon, and myself are the regulars, while others have dropped in for a session or two. We are hoping to hear more from those who have been invited soon, but real life is obviously priority #1.

You may notice Elm's Farm has been dropped from my list of projects. This is an area I will return to in acclimating new wizards, and will likely never be implemented (unless someone else picks the project up)
  • The Grounds
    • Complete and implemented. This area can be found on the world map at 520 East, 131 South
  • Cave
    • In progress. Din has not been available for consult recently, so this project has progressed 5% since last month at most. It is still very much in the forefront, and has a projected completion date of July 08
  • Willow Downs
    • This was originally coded by Nevin, Orthas, and Stig as a halfling village. It hasn't been updated ever to the best of my knowledge, so could use our halfling types at the very least. I'll be fleshing out my city-building skills and helping our coders learn the process in preparation for redoing Akkad by taking on this small (pardon the pun) project.

This project is 0% complete and has not been reviewed for projected completion date at this time.
  • Standardization
    • Shadows -> Hooks
      • This project should result in no appreciable change as far as players are concerned. It's been talked about for years, and the infrastructure supports it, but no one has taken on the heavy lifting involved in making the switch until now.

Essentially, shadows are new objects that can't be interacted with that "shadow" (or mask, for those of you knowledgeable in programming) functions that already exist on the mud. They're perfectly acceptable in all ways, except that they tend to use more memory than they're worth, and a good deal extra processor since they have to be kept track of over time in order to expire correctly.

Hooks are functions that are added into previously existing functions. Since they don't require any special file or object be loaded, they're a much more centralized and efficient way of doing the same thing shadows do. This will allow us to turn the vast majority of critical effects that have been turned off for years back on.

As stated earlier, this change should not be noticable to players as it happens. This project is approximately 30% complete, and the expected completion date is not currently available.
    • Equipment -> Virtual Equipment
      • If any of you has ever been a tinker trying to rune some item, you may have noticed that only "basic" equipment can be runed (or some equally nondescript fail message). This is because we only allow equipment from the virtual servers to have certain effects added to them. Over the years, our virtual equipment servers have grown in capability, and this is the effort to make all our equipment run off of these servers.

This is another instance where players will have very little proof that changes are being made, but will have a positive impact on the modularity and scalability of the mud for the future. This project is approximately 0% complete, and has no estimated completion date.
I hope this helps us all feel more connected with Darkemud! Any questions, comments, concerns, or communications of any sort can be posted here (please! Please!! PLEASE!!!) or sent to me via mudmail, tell, or email as appropriate.

#1308 - 02/26/08 05:08 AM Re: Feb 08 Project News [Re: Cerberus]
Shadowraith Administrator Offline

Great job!
#1322 - 02/27/08 03:11 PM Re: Feb 08 Project News [Re: Shadowraith]
Dragora Offline

Loc: Canada!
I 100% agree with your Equipment -> Virtual Equipment idea, I have never actually looked at it yet or done any work with it, but I am now interested in checking it out.
#1928 - 05/12/08 10:11 AM Re: Feb 08 Project News [Re: Dragora]
Ruck Offline
stranger

Loc: Chicago, IL
I think one of the most important aspects of keeping the players happy is 'areas'....the more, the better. If you keep the players busy by letting them explore lots of places, then that keeps them entertained for awhile. The more complex and challening the area, the better.

Back when I was an admin for awhile on DBR, I had grand visions of at least 4 areas that would have been supersweet to implement, but I never got a chance...since I had to reinc back into a mortal and obliterate a few clans worth of players.

#1933 - 05/12/08 11:40 AM Re: Feb 08 Project News [Re: Ruck]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
I'm all ears as to how to recruit area builders. It appears that of the 6 wizards we've gained this year, two do any area programming.

Complexity and challenge make an area take anywhere from 3 months to a year or more before it sees live. Cookie cutter areas can be spit out in less than a month, but are largely boring to code, explore, and xp in. Plenty open to suggestions/thoughts/ideas here.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.025 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.