sabu
(journeyman)
12/01/07 11:08 AM
Bless Armor

I was thinking back when I played a cleric, is there any use for bless armor. I mean do people use it at all?

Muod
(member)
12/01/07 11:37 AM
Re: Bless Armor

its just minor fort, means you can get bless then get major fort ontop thats the only use

sabu
(journeyman)
12/01/07 12:08 PM

Does it add any extra protection against unholy or anything?

Muod
(member)
12/01/07 12:29 PM

it adds +10 against all i believe

Charon
(enthusiast)
12/01/07 01:01 PM

It is exactly the same as the chanter spell minor fortification.

CerberusAdministrator
(addict)
12/02/07 11:07 PM

I use it because I've got it trained, but it's a very low level LT spell, and, as Drey stated, exactly the same as the enchanter spell. It's pretty boring, all told, but has uses, yes.

Kim
(enthusiast)
12/03/07 01:00 AM

Could it be modified to be minor fort, but give higher unholy and lower holy protection than minor fort? That'd make it vaguely interesting \:\)

carmy
(member)
12/03/07 02:48 AM

I always used it when I wanted a chanter to do my armour because it saved them a couple minutes.

CerberusAdministrator
(addict)
12/03/07 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Kim
Could it be modified to be minor fort, but give higher unholy and lower holy protection than minor fort? That'd make it vaguely interesting \:\)

I think randomness makes things interesting. This sort of difference doesn't strike me as interesting or useful, just vaguely noteworthy. How about if it did something completely different than minor fort, or was a minor fort that worked exceptionally versus some hits and terribly versus others. Most people see unreliability and are unimpressed, to say the least, so I'd advocate a different type of protection entirely.

What if bless armour occasionally healed the wearer? Each item randomly healing some amount (I've covered before why it's inappropriate to suggest number-laden ideas) while the user is injured could be interesting.

What if bless armour was an activated ability, providing temporary sanctuary -before- attacks happened? Each item could give you a very few seconds of uninjurability.

What if bless armour stuck to adding protection, but that protection was based on where the damage was coming from rather than a static amount? This would be similar to making unholy and holy damage types have different protection amounts, but would be more useful since it could very well influence what creatures you fought, rather than the damage types those creatures used.

What if there was a real piety system and protection from bless armour could be scaled to fit piety toward or against certain gods?

There are innumerable ways to make interesting things happen. If bless armour is more of the same (ie, just minor fort that a cleric does), that's fine (and boring). It has uses as its plain old boring self. If there's reason for interesting branches of the same themes though, we should be exploring how to make those interesting branches more attractive, and leave the wizards and admin to use our feedback to make them balanced and fair.

Kim
(enthusiast)
12/04/07 03:59 AM

"What if bless armour stuck to adding protection, but that protection was based on where the damage was coming from rather than a static amount?"

If an undead hits a body part which has an item with blessed armour, there is a certain chance of a holy critback...? Only versus undeads, nothing else.

Oh, and if an undead (lich or ghoul) wears armour that's blessed, there is a small chance each round of them being holy critted.

That would be fun. \:\)

Similarly... I always thought it'd be fun if Clerics had a True Weapon like spell. Not stackable with True Weapon, and only having the True-effect on undeads and followers of Tobin/Marghuul. To differentiate further from True Weapon, maybe give it some further abilities... make it increase holy crits +1 more than True Weapon.

It would allow for some increased Weapon variety, even if most would just prefer True Weapon, Paladins and War-priests especially would want a... Holy Avenger (Cliché name, I know...) weapon for special circumstances.

Something like that \:\)

CerberusAdministrator
(addict)
12/04/07 08:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Kim
"What if bless armour stuck to adding protection, but that protection was based on where the damage was coming from rather than a static amount?"

If an undead hits a body part which has an item with blessed armour, there is a certain chance of a holy critback...? Only versus undeads, nothing else.

Oh, and if an undead (lich or ghoul) wears armour that's blessed, there is a small chance each round of them being holy critted.

That would be fun. \:\)
I think both of these ideas are interesting and fun. Personally I'd be for worshippers of opposing gods over undead, but that's probably a matter best settled by testing. I'm for diversity!