Tiberius
(stranger)
01/09/09 09:58 AM
Save the newbies!

Deathchecks for newbies should be nonexistent, or reduced with a reduced cost to get rid of them. Also, when a newbie dies would be nice to prompt them about the deathcheck command.

Secondly, save on ghost for newbies would be extremely helpful, considering I just lost all the stuff donated to my by other players and now I feel like a super mooch. I don't like to -have- to ask for handouts, but its hard to get money to buy stuff as a newbie. Maybe increase the starting mcgrail from joining a guild? Cant even buy a lantern with 5 mcgrail let alone a weapon or armor to keep you from getting decapitated by a non-critical hit.

CerberusAdministrator
(addict)
01/09/09 03:26 PM
Re: Save the newbies!

Originally Posted By: Tiberius
Deathchecks for newbies should be nonexistent, or reduced with a reduced cost to get rid of them.
Giving newbies no deathcheck provides too many opportunities for grief characters being made, which is why newbies have deathcheck at all. Newbies are supposed to either receive less deathcheck from pray/resurrect or regenerate it more quickly - I've never looked into whether this is actually the case or not. I'll happily do so once I'm out of airports.

Also, when a newbie dies would be nice to prompt them about the deathcheck command.
Great idea! I'd like to see these sorts of prompts as well, and detailed some ideas for a more in depth death system here.

Secondly, save on ghost for newbies would be extremely helpful, considering I just lost all the stuff donated to my by other players and now I feel like a super mooch.
I am against save on ghost for any reason, though I do understand the desire for reduced penalties for death as one is learning the system. Ideas that accomplish that without breaking the spirit of the game would be appreciated.

I don't like to -have- to ask for handouts, but its hard to get money to buy stuff as a newbie. Maybe increase the starting mcgrail from joining a guild? Cant even buy a lantern with 5 mcgrail let alone a weapon or armor to keep you from getting decapitated by a non-critical hit.
Back in June when there were 3 active wizards we agreed to implement a system by which newbies were provided equipment, starting hints and some other basics of training or help via their guild guard or NPC guildmaster. That has never been coded to the best of my knowledge, but I'll put it on my to-do list.

Tiberius
(stranger)
01/10/09 11:09 AM

Well, what about a super newb status? Cause getting mauled by a wolf before you have clue whats going on and then losing a good chunk of you stats can be a turn off for some (just prompted me to freak out then become confused when someone tried to explain deathcheck to me :)). Could implement a check to see if the character being made is a first time player, just to help them out till they get their bearings. I know plenty of people who'll drop a GREAT mud in the first few minutes cause they find it too hard and/or die in the first few minutes. Granted, the players are extremely helpful and cover part of that. I don't know how the pbase here is and if there is absolutely always someone helpful on at all times, but for those times when someone isn't around to help it's good to have a little safety net to keep new players from running away the second they hit the ground. That's just based off my experience with mud newbies (and having been a super newb myself at one point).

carmy
(member)
01/10/09 05:07 PM

What's important to remember is that Darke isn't an easy game, it isn't made to be easy either, however, it's true, the current way people start off in this game makes it very difficult to gain footing and accomplish things. Once newbies will have access to basic equipment from their guilds, that will make a huge difference in what a newbie can accomplish. I don't think making the game super easy is a great way to introduce people to the game, it's going to give them the wrong impression.

acoma
(stranger)
08/18/10 09:49 AM

doubt there is any newbies any more, most players play graphic games instead.