ShadowraithAdministrator
(member)
12/18/07 05:30 AM
If no Pwipe - Ideas for HM/High Level characters..

So if the Pwipe does not happen, toss up some ideas here for things that HM's (or sufficiently high level characters) can do to make life more interesting.

Im interested in all ideas save areas. We have another thread for areas and to be honest, the mud does need areas, but they take a long time to code and at high levels are just a new place to grind generally. High level chars need more in the mud than just new places to go kill things.

So throw up any idea, doesn't mean it will be implmented but maybe something will come of it. Ie, maybe they can "train other" where they can give up some of their experience to someone lower level, say at a 10 to 1 or more ratio. Doesnt hurt them hardly at all but would make them able to really assist lower levels to a point. Just an example.

Kim
(enthusiast)
12/18/07 12:28 PM
Re: If no Pwipe - Ideas for HM/High Level characters..

Okej... For Highmortals there is PK and looting really... That SHOULD be enough. It always was for me, though with a slightly higher Playerbase. If the playerbase is decent, no added options for HMs is necessary, really, in my opinion.

Well, there is Dregans area too. Me (Aravis the paladin) and Octavian fighting in there for several days, over a week, is one of my funnest Darke memories.

Minstrel
(journeyman)
12/18/07 12:42 PM

There's also developing one's character from a depth perspective. Octavian was pretty boring (except when he was graced by Aravis' presence) but Luna and Shana have spent almost 99% of the hours since reaching HM just interacting with others (the other 1% is PK and looting...fun!).

Charon
(enthusiast)
12/18/07 12:54 PM

Should get Harold to finish up Dregan's ;\)
Also SW and I had a quick interesting discussion on the random dungeon generator.

Imagine if you could form a party, enter a random themed dungeon filled with random mobs from a particular theme.

Wylliam created an NPC generator that's great and creates mobs that are similar to player characters that could also inhabit the area. For example you turn around a corner and there could be a couple of Demon Lord spelled up CLs waiting for you with a few pets.

Not to mention that every level would get more and more difficult.

Add in some sort of party-xp system and the risk would be worth the (good) chance of death.

There would of course be checks and balances to ensure that we don't have 3 level 60s and a level 10.... etc.

Anyways, just an idea.. but that would certainly be something HMs could look forward to.

Minstrel
(journeyman)
12/18/07 01:48 PM
Re: If no Pwipe - Ideas for HM/High Level characte

Originally Posted By: Charon
Should get Harold to finish up Dregan's ;\)
Also SW and I had a quick interesting discussion on the random dungeon generator.

Imagine if you could form a party, enter a random themed dungeon filled with random mobs from a particular theme.

Wylliam created an NPC generator that's great and creates mobs that are similar to player characters that could also inhabit the area. For example you turn around a corner and there could be a couple of Demon Lord spelled up CLs waiting for you with a few pets.

Not to mention that every level would get more and more difficult.

Add in some sort of party-xp system and the risk would be worth the (good) chance of death.

There would of course be checks and balances to ensure that we don't have 3 level 60s and a level 10.... etc.

Anyways, just an idea.. but that would certainly be something HMs could look forward to.

It sounds clever technically, but rather breaking the spirit of the MUD as a consistent world. In a sense, it's too video game-ish, rather than a part of a coherent world.

I'm in favour of new areas that are intelligent and have realistic mobs...but not in this format, where you get a random theme and random creatures. Maybe it's simply personal preference, but I like areas crafted to be something specific rather than random-adventure generators.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
12/18/07 01:52 PM

I liked how old Ash worked with sergeants (?) patrolling it so they could walk on you while you were whacking a scout. HIgher-level areas shoudl have something similar, nost just static mobs.

Minstrel
(journeyman)
12/18/07 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Ganelon
I liked how old Ash worked with sergeants (?) patrolling it so they could walk on you while you were whacking a scout. HIgher-level areas shoudl have something similar, nost just static mobs.

Yes, that is very true. Intelligent, dynamic mobs are very good ideas. Mobs that act realistically...shout to alert others, block exits if they're winning (using the same block code players use, not a silly auto-block)...things like that.

carmy
(member)
12/18/07 05:50 PM

What about something that allows a larger player to use up their resources, especially mcgrail. The castle system is really outdated, we all know that. I remember Helios was thinking of making player-run sort of 'cities' where you can build roads and buildings and kind of dedicate purposes for them, maybe like player run shops, inns, pubs, anything. It could have mobs patroling that could perhaps be programmed to disallow entry of certain people etc...

This could be an opportunity to increase the amount of player made content as well as a way to have people socialize and RP in a neat sort of way. If you're looking to increase HM perks, here would be another way as well, to limit this to people of a certain social status kind of the way it was in the old days.

mathias
(newbie)
12/18/07 06:22 PM

Bring back some of the old "legend" stuff for HMs. Like the entire mud dc wiping ability but limit it to x times per day or reboot.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
12/19/07 03:41 AM

I like the idea to allow HMs building living place - "improved" castle.

Also, in addition, to do not allow HMs get bored, I would suggest:

1. HMs may be allowed to train some unique spells/skills related to their guild. Make few to choice from, but you can train only 1 from the list.

2. Those unique spells/skills may be allowed by joining HM-guild or open Prestige class(es) for each guild. You choice new class for your char and train new abilities.

It could be cool to have "ALIGNMENT" for HMs. So, GOOD and EVIL chars could only pick allowed for their alignment classes, skills, spells. That should add some RPing in the game as well.

Regards,
-Guinness

CerberusAdministrator
(addict)
12/19/07 02:53 PM

Signature Abilities -
  • High-Mortals used to be allowed unique enter/exit messages (Upon seeing the back of Malhavoc's Black-Hand as he entered, I knew I wanted to be a legend, back in the day). I'd say this isn't something to do so much as a perk.
  • I agree with Guinness, although I'd go a step further and have a wizard assigned to HM signature abilities. A HM concepts a skill/spell/item, the wizard codes the skill/spell/item, it is approved, and becomes the focus for some quest that the HM completes in order to obtain the skill/spell/ability.
City Founding - Cities are useless without things to draw folk to them. Only HMs should be able to found a city, and it should take both cash and experience. They should be able to purchase mob spawns (that give the HM no xp for hunting), shops (that carry wares at prices they dictate), and static items (fountains and message boards, places to pray at death, etc).

Worshipper Recruitment - I'd envision this as a jump-off point for a piety system for gods. HMs could recruit/convert mortals to their god's cause, and the HM would gain powers/abilities (think reduction of DC for followers, "ritual blessings" of present worshippers, special hit chances, special protection chances, instant-rez on death) for those who choose their worship and attribute it to the HM.

Kim
(enthusiast)
12/19/07 03:21 PM

"A HM concepts a skill/spell/item, the wizard codes the skill/spell/item, it is approved, and becomes the focus for some quest that the HM completes in order to obtain the skill/spell/ability."

A bit too arbitrary I feel. It would be so much up to luck whether an arch feels like doing it... Almost like a whim.

"Worshipper Recruitment - I'd envision this as a jump-off point for a piety system for gods. HMs could recruit/convert mortals to their god's cause, and the HM would gain powers/abilities (think reduction of DC for followers, "ritual blessings" of present worshippers, special hit chances, special protection chances, instant-rez on death) for those who choose their worship and attribute it to the HM."

We... had.... demigods....

CerberusAdministrator
(addict)
03/20/08 10:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Guinness
1. HMs may be allowed to train some unique spells/skills related to their guild. Make few to choice from, but you can train only 1 from the list.
I still like this idea a lot. Especially the part of choosing only one from a list - seems to make a specialized character to me (a necromancer who specializes in improving pets over making them, a tinker who specializes in armour forging rather than runes, a nightblade who specializes in poison rather than distance spells, a chaotic-lord who specializes in... uhh... puppy kicking?)

**DONOTDELETE**
()
03/20/08 12:49 PM

I'd like kitty kicking. I could go onto the world map and kick every lion and panther I meet there ;\)

Minstrel
(journeyman)
03/20/08 01:16 PM

I suppose it could be a bit like "elite classes." You have all the base guilds, and then when you reach HM, you have the ability (assuming you have the necessary skill level and pre-requisites) to train something not available to the rest of the guild. It could either be one spell/skill, or one path which might lead to several spells/skills, but disallow spells/skills from other elite paths.

Two obvious paths for an enchanter, for example, might be weapon-crafting and armour-crafting. Or it could be more specialized than that, even...blade artificers, blunt artificers, etc.

Nightblades could have paths that allow for more powerful, varied poisons, or theme-appropriate blade spells, or more illusionism spells that give various combat effects.

It's generally a fun system in other games. Might be fun in Darke.