ShadowraithAdministrator
(member)
12/11/07 07:36 PM
Possible PWipe - Feedback wanted

Ok,

I've brought this up a few times, and there doesnt seem to be a lot of opposition to it. So here is the though process. PLEASE leave your feedback and vote accordingly.

PLEASE PROVIDE YOUR THOUGHTS REGARDING CHANGES YOU CONSIDER **VITAL** BEFORE A PWIPE COULD OCCUR. (Balance everything is not an option, it would just take too long and be hard to achieve as things are now)

PWIPE

[list]
[*]Reset all players to level 1
[*]Restoree experience buffers, but set with a high xp/hour drain, so that at low levels it has no noticeable effect, but as you level up, your levelling rate slows.
[*]Save on Ghost is gone. It would help with puttng everone on an even playing field for fighting for your life when appropriate.
[*]Mineral Maps would be reset
[*]Polymath guild potentially goes in

Kim
(enthusiast)
12/11/07 07:40 PM
Re: Possible PWipe - Feedback wanted

This might seem trivial, but it's something I consider vital: Changing the names of the new tinker runes. The new runes have names that aren't in synch with the old ones, or fit for darke (being silly and childish). A pwipe Would be a good time to fix that...

I don't see removing all current castles/mines in the list, but I assume that's a given...

ShadowraithAdministrator
(member)
12/11/07 07:50 PM

Yes, world wiped clean is a given

carmy
(member)
12/11/07 08:05 PM

I think before a pwipe occurs, it would be a good idea to have ready, some new areas. If we have an influx of 40 newbies, there's no way we'll have enough areas for all of them.

ShadowraithAdministrator
(member)
12/11/07 08:13 PM

I wont hold it up based on new areas. For one thing there wont be 40 new poeple all online at once. For another the new wizards are making the areas. For another, a little congestion is good for interaction.

Besides, need to look at the auto level to 6 things, seems a little high

garin
(stranger)
12/11/07 08:17 PM

Here is what I would like to see if it were to happen. (in no particular order)

Thief lvling system fixed. Either make poison lore's poisons worth using, or offer another viable way to get experience (stealing every 10 seconds gets a bit tedious and tends to lead to botting if the only option) You could significantly up pick locks xp, right now it is a joke especially given how expensive it is. Eliminate pick locks pre. it serves no purpose except as a pre. This would save the guild from wasting a lot of devs on useless skills, make it so every devs spent can actually be used for something. also, this part is just wishful thinking, but I would like to see the dance of daggers haste upped slightly- only slightly though-

If a static buffer is put in place, I would like to see it set to the max xp of the lowest xp earning guild. This way there is no super lvling guild, everyone has the same potential.

I'm all for the polymath guild- bring it on.

Fix the monks. I can't say I know enough about them to offer any real solution, but everyone I have known who has played one says they need to be fixed...

Would love to see din's area go in with the pwipe.

Lower the newbie level. We can be nice to new comers, but lets not coddle too much please.

some type of either combat or magic beefing for SM's. They don't get played for a reason. Right now there really isn't much of a reason to play an SM except to get banshee for people. Their blade spells are supposed to be an incentive, but since you can just get locks of them anyway, who cares? get the locks and play another guild. Maybe make it so SM's can stack an extra banshee/plasma when its a self cast temp spell. (this may be overpowering, just throwing ideas out there).

un-nerf fist of the justicar- it blows now. I had two pallies at 44 overall and stopped playing because they both could get their asses handed to them by a 20-20 fighter. They need SOMETHING to keep them alive.

I'd like to see elm's elementalist summon weapon spell put in.

possible beef of cBoK.

Sorry this is a lot of random and unthought out ideas.

Kim
(enthusiast)
12/11/07 08:26 PM

"but since you can just get locks of them anyway, who cares? "

It takes a LOT less wield (half) to cast them yourself, so you could put more on... That is, if SMs could get OK magery skill, which they can't, really..

garin
(stranger)
12/11/07 08:50 PM

Yeah I would have pointed out the wield difference, but the lack of casting makes up for that plenty.

mathias
(newbie)
12/12/07 01:06 AM

First a few ideas that I agree with from other peoples postings:

1. Fix the monks. I can't say I know enough about them to offer any real solution, but everyone I have known who has played one says they need to be fixed...

2. Would love to see din's area go in with the pwipe.

3. *HIGHLY AGREE* Lower the newbie level. We can be nice to new comers, but lets not coddle too much please. (maybe reset it to the level it used to be? or just a tad higher)

4. Changing the names of the new tinker runes. (if you want help we can start a thread and start rambling off ideas).

5. Put back in buffers!

Some own ideas:

1. Would be nice if there was a benefit to crafting leather armor besides only being able to make a runable cloak and belt.. (i also heard that organic woods have a problem? not exactly sure ask llygoden)

2. I would like to see the hotsprings remain. It is an excellent gathering place for lowbies and the like and I have had some really great times just spell leveling and chatting with other people. Plus a healing rune or healing rune equivalent room item (that might offer less regeneration but more than none?) would be nice to help out starting off mages (since there wont be mana pets for awhile).

3. I would like to know why you cant clair a named pet or npc once youve seen its name after a reboot. Its quite annoying to try to teleport around the map and you find yourself unable to do so, especially when you know that the pet in question is there. (or maybe put back in random mob casting and not requiring you to name your pets? That was half the fun of an AM right there, at least for me.)

3. I would really like to see the old HM castles stay in. Maybe even swap them into mini-mob areas. It would keep a lot of the history alive, and honestly we need to remember where we come from :p.

4. I'm ok with the polymath guild as long as you have the ability to join it and not simply start off with it. I consider it a great newbie learning guild (like a tutorial) and might consider trying it out only if devs for non applicable skills/spells get reset once a specific real guild is joined.

5. -Insert Flame about the AM spell summoning here- Self removed Flameing to spare you the grief.

6. Fix the cold crits? (unless they have already been taken care of, I havent had much information about this)

7. Figure out what to do about the tinker weapon rune/enchanter spell situation. right now it seems like someone would be insane NOT to go with tinker runes instead of chants because 1. they use less wield on average and 2 there is no risk of fumble and destroying the piece. also a tinker can just sit in one spot and gain tons of xp, while an enchanter has to risk being warped, killed, and potentially losing their equipment, money, and leveling time due to DC.

8. Maybe keep the guild board postings? They offer A LOT of help to people that dont usually play that guild.

9. *MOST VITAL CHANGE* Overall I would just like to see a balance in terms of leveling to the guilds. One guild should not have the ease of just typing one command every 20 minutes to level when other guilds risk dieing on every cycle and not to mention casting 10 spells. Another part of this is the tinker/enchanter rune/spell difference. I brought this up in the rune/spell wield thread.

Random ideas/thoughts of varying importance. Hope it helps more than hurts :\ Sorry for the flaming if there is still some in the post. I tried cleaning it up myself to save face. Dam you insomnia.

mathias
(newbie)
12/12/07 01:18 AM

oh and increase bank space. it wasnt increased when income rate was.

10k max.. 15?

mathias
(newbie)
12/12/07 02:39 AM

This post was originally a rant about the old map. To shorten it and flame less: It would be nice if world areas were more accessible. The map is so huuge that I honestly have no clue how to get anywhere other than what is located on the tri-city continent.

mathias
(newbie)
12/12/07 02:57 AM

sorry for all of these individual posts, but i keep coming up with ideas. What if we posted a poll of whether or not people will quit playing all together if there is a pwipe? We cant afford to lose any more pbase. Remember before the last one when we had 22-24 avg daily?

**DONOTDELETE**
()
12/12/07 03:42 AM

Good day,

For SMs - I think they are cool.
Just few things I would see in this guild changed:
1. Do not destroy weapon on fumble chimeric - that fixes all about Garin and Kim said.
2. Fix enlarge resistance. Also, why it "hurts" NPC (1/2 HP)?
3. Give some more protection or/and skill increasing spells.
4. Balance spell levels, so, SMs gain more magic XP. Now it's very slow to advace in magic considering with other SEMI-guilds.

For Tinkers
I would suggest "specialization", that they should choice from the beginning.
Then armourers could "reinforce" with blacksmith, and "weapon masters" could balance weapons (self only).
Specialization affects skill cost as well.
Say, base rune cost 6. Specialized in armour: armour rune - 5, weapon - 7.
So, not specialized tinker will find it hard to train.

Critical hits
1. Give XP (or more XP) when severing limbs, doing mortal blows in same way like for "crippling".
2. Fix "Critical hit bug with COLD | HOLY table"
3. Do not allow criticals (filter) on non existing parts (limbs) - if hands were already severed, why I see such criticals again, and again (and get no XP of course).
4. Add vacuum critical that may remove one or few spells from opponent on hit.

Trade
1. Make shopkeeper money limit about 300+ mcgrail.
2. Allow more shopkeepers to accept different kinds of items.

Regards,
-Guinness

Charon
(enthusiast)
12/12/07 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Guinness
Good day,
2. Fix enlarge resistance. Also, why it "hurts" NPC (1/2 HP)?

This one is easy. Because enlarge doubles their overall HP they don't max out. The reason for this is double hp = double xp.

Wouldn't be fair if SMs could get double xp from every mob just by casting a spell at them.

sabu
(journeyman)
12/12/07 05:54 AM

did they fix enlarge, could have swore the last time I was a SM you got more exp by casting it on self then on mobs?

Charon
(enthusiast)
12/12/07 06:00 AM

I think you imagined that ;\)

Rancid
(newbie)
12/12/07 08:00 AM

Pwipe! Ohh, I remember the days. Personally I agree with all the recent changes. They have been long over due; however, there are a couple of guilds that need fixing before a pwipe.

Monks are in desperate need of desting or fixing. I have never played them so making suggestions would be uneducated and arrogant. Kreen would be an excellent source of input though. He has played them for a long time.

Enchanters need some fixing before a pwipe. The enchanters skills are way over priced for the amount of spells they have and the requirements for making weapons. With the new tinker fix put in place and enchanters spell costs revamped much more gear would be made and floating around for players to use, battle each other with and loose. Player interaction would increase and people would complain less when killed or looted. At the moment it takes months for some less connected players to get gear made and virtually impossible for others. It is less about the fact that these items are rare as that they are horded by a few well connected players; which, has been a problem at Darke mud for years. I am not sure about the rest of you but I am sick of politics and I really don't care for dealing with a lot of aristocratic crap when I go mudding.

Thieves were in desperate need of fixing also but I am not sure where they stand since I have heard stealing has been put back in.

Remove Aether from all the protection lists. When I type protection I get all cathartic remembering sending people to hell with the Fatality crits. Makes me sad.

Any way good luck and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Rancid
(newbie)
12/12/07 08:03 AM

What's wrong with buffers? The absence of buffers has been a much better solution then making it uber hard to level.

Charon
(enthusiast)
12/12/07 08:06 AM

I played a monk much more than I should have. Poor Oskar, I wanted her to be good but it just never happened.

Tell Kreen to get his ass on the forums. There is an entire thread there dedicated to ideas for fixing monks. I put a bunch up and would be interested to see his input on them.

ShadowraithAdministrator
(member)
12/12/07 08:06 AM

Buffers are needed, or xp given greatly reduced, because you can make HM in about 90 hours of play. Thats a little too fast.

sabu
(journeyman)
12/12/07 08:12 AM

Any idea when if there is a pwipe when it will take place. If there is going to be one I almost don't feel like playing here until then because there is no point. Anything i do here is just going to get erased when it happens. I vote if there is going to be one, make it as soon as possible.

Kim
(enthusiast)
12/12/07 08:17 AM

"Enchanters need some fixing before a pwipe. The enchanters skills are way over priced for the amount of spells they have and the requirements for making weapons."

I disagree. Enchanter spells and skills are expensive, a few might be a bit on the high side. But almost all the runes are VERY useful, as well as most spells. I don't think enchanters are overpriced... Rather, most other guilds are a bit underpriced.

sabu
(journeyman)
12/12/07 08:25 AM

If you want to talk about a class that is expensive, sword mage blade spells are expensive. 60 devs to train at *1 from bleeding and fiery. And to get the higher level ones you need to have these trained.

Kim
(enthusiast)
12/12/07 08:25 AM

Some more things:

Leather craft, skin corpse, lumberjack and carpentry were unaffected by the tinker changes, being a LOT more expensive than the other skills now.

Pwipe would be a good time to adjust it, since... no need for a reinc... maybe give them all cost 6 or so.

Fixing leather craft would be good too, but can be done later, if the cost is fixed now.

Kim
(enthusiast)
12/12/07 08:54 AM

"If you want to talk about a class that is expensive, sword mage blade spells are expensive. 60 devs to train at *1 from bleeding and fiery."

Really Sabu, that's not much...

sabu
(journeyman)
12/12/07 09:05 AM

For being level 6 spells, that is pretty expensive.

Rancid
(newbie)
12/12/07 12:19 PM

Not sure if I would have gotten back into playing if it was super hard to level. I played non stop for 2 years and was level 36! And that was the highest any non wiz-cheated character had ever made it. Why make it hard for people to get up there? If it is harder to get exp then that is even more of a reason to fix some of the guilds who have major difficulties in getting skills/spells up to adequate levels for use. E.G. Enchanters.

carmy
(member)
12/12/07 03:42 PM

I think what SW is trying to do is to add buffers to level the playing field. It's common knowledge that some guilds make more exp than others. If buffers are in place where there is some sort of a cap out, it could limit players getting really big, but wouldn't inhibit newbies leveling. Essentially, there would be more midrange characters. I don't see a problem with it.

This pwipe however, I feel it's an opportunity. I don't want one while there are some serious changes that could be made, and they go unchanged. I don't feel there should be a pwipe now, changes 3-4 months after, and then there are char reincs happening left right and center. Might as well get the major stuff done now, and then pwipe. I don't see what the rush is.

sabu
(journeyman)
12/13/07 05:52 AM

I have a question, when the buffers were taken away, was that when the 20 minutes cycle started or was it there before. Because I know that it wasn't always there.

Charon
(enthusiast)
12/13/07 06:08 AM

That's been in a while now. Before that spells gave less xp per cast but the same amount every time. Basically people had mana pets and spammed haste at shit all day long as it was the best xp/time.

Xsi
(stranger)
12/13/07 12:12 PM

This is vaguely off-topic, but what are the advantages of a pwipe? I'm not aware of the discussion that's been going on so I'm just wondering. As of right now I'm not really looking forward to remaking my character, so I probably wouldn't return. Or play right now for that matter, with a pwipe looming somewhere in the future.

On a lighter note, I think one of the elements of this game that hasn't really been explored is group content. If there was a pwipe, there would be a lot of players around the same level, and though SW already said that it was unlikely for new areas to be coded, some low-mid level areas that required a party to get in and had mobs that were very powerful for their respective levels (to avoid wield/resist problems) would be an interesting way to encourage players to cooperate. My experience with other players in Darke have been either "Don't piss off anyone higher than you" , "You have something I want, lets trade", or "Lets pool our resources and buy an insanely expensive castle, and go trash someone else's". It would be refreshing to have the option of some interesting group content. It sounds like it would be a huge undertaking, and a pain in the ass to balance, but I think there's a definite niche to be explored with that kind of content.

Anywho, I'm done. Feel free to shoot me down now. ;\)

ShadowraithAdministrator
(member)
12/13/07 12:43 PM

New areas are coming now, one is almost finished and others on the way. Plus party xp should be going in as well.

Xsi
(stranger)
12/13/07 12:48 PM

Oh I think I misunderstood "I won't hold it up based on new areas". I see now.

garin
(stranger)
12/13/07 01:17 PM

I know backstab is not a very widely used skill anymore, but I would like to see the way reverse stroke works against it changed. for instance, I get reverse stroked almost every time by someone who trained it 1% when I have my back stab at 90... I think it should be a contest of skill/

Gabe
(stranger)
12/14/07 04:55 AM

I strongly object to a player wipe. It seems to me that any of these planned changes and expansions can be integrated into Darke mud without having to wipe out the current players. I've spent over 3 years developing a character that i enjoy playing and continue to enjoy improving.

I'd like to hear some solid reasoning for the *need* to erase other people's hard work in character development. Any person who feels like abandoning their own work and starting over when new changes go in has the same ability that they've always had: rebirth.

One of the advantages that Darke has reaped from extensive, competent coding work, and as a result of having a test server for working out kinks, is a stable foundation that allows for changes to be made without bringing the mud to its knees. Why ignore a huge advantage that having a test server brings? No instabilities will be introduced by merely expanding the current mud content, and allowing current players to continue playing, if everything is properly tested.

That said, i have no strong objection to an equipment and map wipe. I don't necessarily see a need for those, unless there's a concern on the part of admin that some objects exist on live that should not, and the availability of which will be culled.

So, again, why the *need* for a player wipe? High level players have put in a lot of time and effort to get there... i can say that holds true, at the very least, for my self, and i strongly object to watching the fruit of all that hard work just disappear.

ShadowraithAdministrator
(member)
12/14/07 05:00 AM

Thats a well argued and well stated arguement Gabe.

Anyone else?

sabu
(journeyman)
12/14/07 05:46 AM

As was stated before, there should be a survey on whicjh states, if a pwipe happens....wil you come back. This place cannot afford to lose people. And although i am for a pwipe. The time it will take for me to get a charecter back to where i am now is almost too daunting to want to play.

As stated in other posts. The changes that want to be done to the guilds is not darke, its a whole new mud.I don't think me, my husband or my sister will come back if theres a whole differnt darke created. But thats my 2 cents and they can come up with their own conclussion.

ShadowraithAdministrator
(member)
12/14/07 07:18 AM

Locking. See new topic.