Who's Online
0 registered and 27 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1103 - 01/22/08 11:12 AM help calendar
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
Would someone be so kind as to post the in-game contents of 'help calendar' here? I don't have access to the mud right now but I'd like to know the IC names and doings of the days of the week. Thanks!

Specifically, I need the order of the days of the week and what they're tied to. For instance, Olorare is a day name, but is it the day of Kings? What day comes after it?

Edited by Harold (01/22/08 12:48 PM)
Edit Reason: Help a brotha out! Damn!

#1104 - 01/22/08 12:53 PM Re: help calendar [Re: Cerberus]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
help calendar

-=-=-=-=-=-= Calendar =-=-=-=-=-=-

The Darkemud calendar and clock work like this:

20 seconds to a minute
40 minutes to an hour
20 hours to a day
5 days to a week
4 weeks to a month
10 months to a year

The days of the week, in order are:
Hinare, Aglarare, Lomear, Olorare, and Firinare

Hin'are is Children(rebirth) day
Aglar'are is Glory(Brilliance) day
Lome'are is Shades of night day
Olor'are is Dream day
Firin'are is Dead day

------------

First 3 months are Winter followed by 2 months of Spring.
Then 3 months of Summer followed by 2 months of Autumn.

The months of the year, in order are:
Ranluma, Olosluma, Helkluma, Aranwenya, Olvawenya, Gillaer, Ballaer,
Urlaer, Lassedim, and Sintadim

Ran'luma is To wander month(winter)
Olos'luma is Snow month(winter)
Helk'luma is Ice-cold month(winter)

Aran'wenya is King month(spring)
Olva'wenya is Plant month(spring)

Gil'laer is Star month(summer)
Bal'laer is Power(energy) month(summer)
Ur'laer is Heat month(summer)

Lasse'dim is Leaf month(autumn)
Sinta'dim is grey month(autumn)

------------
The nights of Darkemud are ruled by the three moons warzau, ankh, and luna.
The moons are red, blue, and green respectively. For aspected moon magic,
the red moon rules combat spells, the blue moon rules defensive and healing
spells, and the green moon rules illusionary and miscellaneous spells.

#1122 - 01/25/08 02:26 PM Re: help calendar [Re: Kim]
addict

Thanks, Kim.

Are there any in-game indicators of what the month, day, or time are beyond the weather/sky changing? I think this could be a very exciting part of the game if there were more things that relied on this information, but if there's no infrastructure to support that reliance it won't be worth it.

#1127 - 01/25/08 08:31 PM Re: help calendar [Re: Cerberus]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
I don't know what you mean by in-game indicators, but if you type "time" you get something to this effect.

The current mud time is: 10:12:06 Lomear Helkluma 8, 151.

#1136 - 01/28/08 01:37 PM Re: help calendar [Re: carmy]
addict

That's exactly what I meant.

To me, the command "time" is not an in-game indicator as I'd like to see them. I would like to see a clock tower in a particular town. Another idea I've had are hardcoded events that happen each mud week, or month, as another in-game indicator of the time. How about a lycanthropy-as-a-communicable-disease system? Maybe city mobs have more money right after monthly pay, less near the end of the month?

This is not to say that the time command should go. I happen to think it's quite believable to think everyone is able to keep track of simple things like calendars. I am, however, curious as to whether or not I'm alone in wanting to see some real game changes from our many timing systems.

Sure we've got sun up and down, and weather, but does anyone pay attention to these? Does it do anything beyond change shopkeeper inventory? Is there any reason to think that with the sort of noticable changes we have there should be something noticable in the game to correspond to those changes?

I might be alone on this one, but I think it's worth going out on a limb for. If there's support for it, I think it would be great to explore it as creative headspace. Anyone else have thoughts on the topic?

#1154 - 01/30/08 10:02 AM Re: help calendar [Re: Cerberus]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
Very few things change at night. The only obserable things really are the mobs in kuril change, and the shops open and close. It would be interesting if we have lycanthropes running around. I assume they would be tied to a particular moon.

The bars/pubs would be more crowded at the end of the week and there might be brawls. Drinks might be half price one day and guards in that town might not be as effiective the following day from a hangover.

Castle/mine upkeep might be more expensive in the wintertime since you have to heat them.

#1156 - 01/30/08 11:45 AM Re: help calendar [Re: Charon]
Muod Offline

Loc: MA/CA
I wouldn't mind seeing a travelling merchant that arrived at each town once a week and sold random magical and unique goodies, even if they didn't do anything other then to say you have it, like magical rings that change color or something simple and cosmetic or amulets that maybe can create food or water, nothing super powerful but like small things, like nothing above a level 5 effect imo. create light (like darkestaff), create food/water etc, I know that was a bit off topic, but the idea came as i read about having more people in bars at night, which i like that idea. maybe some areas just have more people at night and less during day etc
#1157 - 01/30/08 01:58 PM Re: help calendar [Re: Muod]
MacTORG Administrator Offline
Keeper of the Elder Eddas
enthusiast

Loc: Oregon
That would make the towns more alive. have the gates close but for the seedy ones. or have guards ask more questions? or have different stores open at night than during the day.

have mobs go around and light the laterns in the city.

can make it feel alot more alive with that kinda stuff

#1159 - 01/30/08 02:32 PM Re: help calendar [Re: MacTORG]
Muod Offline

Loc: MA/CA
yea, thats great, its like one of those things, what do the towns do when the players arn't there...it'd be great if they still did stuff, gave the feeling of them being towns and alive and full of merchant traffic.
#1163 - 01/31/08 08:47 AM Re: help calendar [Re: MacTORG]
addict

Originally Posted By: Charon
The bars/pubs would be more crowded at the end of the week and there might be brawls. Drinks might be half price one day and guards in that town might not be as effiective the following day from a hangover.

Castle/mine upkeep might be more expensive in the wintertime since you have to heat them.
I really like the idea of bars and pubs being more crowded on certain days, and upkeep and building prices changing based on seasons. Who really builds a castle in the dead of winter, after all? Only the most obscenely rich excentric fools, I would guess. That'll potentially make winter likely a better time for robbing people, as they'll keep their cash on hand in order to save a few mcgail. I really think these continuities are important to making a place more than a dead zone.
 Originally Posted By: Muod
I wouldn't mind seeing a travelling merchant that arrived at each town once a week and sold random magical and unique goodies, even if they didn't do anything other then to say you have it, like magical rings that change color or something simple and cosmetic or amulets that maybe can create food or water, nothing super powerful but like small things, like nothing above a level 5 effect imo. create light (like darkestaff), create food/water etc, I know that was a bit off topic, but the idea came as i read about having more people in bars at night, which i like that idea. maybe some areas just have more people at night and less during day etc
Again, great! Traveling merchants, bards who sing tales, refugees from battles with news of changes in areas and the like all serve to keep a place simmering with life even if there's not much going on. The merchant travelers in particular would be neat, especially if their wares weren't accessable in any static shops. I've got a pet project for magical effects in arms and armour already, so I'd think we can get some basic stuff happening over the course of this year.
 Originally Posted By: MacTORG
That would make the towns more alive. have the gates close but for the seedy ones. or have guards ask more questions? or have different stores open at night than during the day.

have mobs go around and light the laterns in the city.

can make it feel alot more alive with that kinda stuff
These city wide events would certainly make cities more inviting - closing the gates (to gated cities, anyway) if a known killer is approaching, lantern-lighting mobs, guards that patrol. If we can get someone to program an extremely modular mob AI of some sort (my ideas on this are flimsy, though I'll try my hand at it once I've gotten my current projects under wraps) it would be a breeze to do this in every city, and make new cities to boot!

I for one am really excited about Darke, and I'm glad to see even some of our diehards aren't giving up on making us more attractive and interactive. Thank you guys for being involved, we all really appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.022 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.