Who's Online
0 registered and 13 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 6 of 13 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1115 - 01/25/08 08:35 AM All resurrections should be created equal!
Siani Offline
stranger

Loc: Hell
For as long as I have known Cleric res has not been able to be cycled unless someone dies. I just found out today that CLs, however, can cycle their res.

I'm not sure when that change was made but I would love to get in on that action...As I'm sure the WPs, pallies and necros would as well.

#1118 - 01/25/08 12:58 PM Re: All resurrections should be created equal! [Re: Siani]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
I believe this came as an oversight on the part of the wizard who has been making magic xp easier to obtain, rather than a purposeful snub.

For me it raises the question of whether or not players should gain experience when they use spells in ways that are unsuccessful. I think there are very strong arguments on both sides (ranging from "I paid devs for it, it should give me xp" to "You don't learn anything by casting a spell that fails") and would like to hear everyone else's opinions.

As a side note, mxp is probably the easiest xp of all to obtain.

#1119 - 01/25/08 01:16 PM Re: All resurrections should be created equal! [Re: Cerberus]
Muod Offline

Loc: MA/CA
well i say mexp is easy to obtain for SOME guilds, personally i think all spells should give exp regardless of fail or not, otherwise people will simply not train the spells because they give no exp or are too difficult to cycle.

But honestly I think hourly exp for magic should be capped at 1.5mil an hour, so no matter what guild you are, you cant get more then that an hour. but that is personal belief.

#1121 - 01/25/08 01:44 PM Re: All resurrections should be created equal! [Re: Muod]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
M Xp Certainly is the easiest xp to get for most guilds but it is very unbalanced.

As for spells giving xp if they don't work I think it should be looked at on a spell-by-spell basis.

I think if a CL has a particular bind on (let's say bind greater demon) and they want to be fully bound with that, they should be able to get xp for the spell cast simply because it is one of their bigger xp spells and it has a duration that makes cycling it unreasonable (something in the range of 2 hours).

A spell like res however I don't think should give xp on a fail. I understand that res is a higher level spell and very good xp and not easy (or possible realistically) to cycle however the spell itself is extremely good and rewarding. People should train it to help out others not to level quicker.

I view res like I view TA and TW. If trues gave -10k xp every time somebody casted them people would still use them so the crappy xp a chanter gets from the trues is a non-issue. Res is rewarding in it's own way, and is a very powerful spell.

#1125 - 01/25/08 04:13 PM Re: All resurrections should be created equal! [Re: Charon]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
"I understand that res is a higher level spell and very good xp and not easy (or possible realistically) to cycle however the spell itself is extremely good and rewarding."

Unlike.. tons of other high level spells, which DO give XP...

#1128 - 01/25/08 08:35 PM Re: All resurrections should be created equal! [Re: Kim]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
Perhaps there could be a reduced amount of exp for an unsuccessful casting of a spell. You're still learning something from it, but you're not learning as much as if the spell had been successful.
#1132 - 01/28/08 05:11 AM Re: All resurrections should be created equal! [Re: carmy]
Siani Offline
stranger

Loc: Hell
If we had a bigger pbase I could just go back to killing random people every 20 mins and ressing them. I liked that. Blood much more fun than randomly fizzling spells.

Either give me xp or players!

#1135 - 01/28/08 01:29 PM Re: All resurrections should be created equal! [Re: Siani]
addict

Originally Posted By: Siani
If we had a bigger pbase I could just go back to killing random people every 20 mins and ressing them. I liked that. Blood much more fun than randomly fizzling spells.

Either give me xp or players!
I quite agree with Siani's sentiment.

What can we do?

#1138 - 01/28/08 02:58 PM Re: Fist of the Justicar [Re: Kim]
addict

This is fixed, but untested (code was snagged from the harah lit rune, which we know works). It now gives you an additional attack in the same round as it should.

Edited by Harold (01/28/08 05:42 PM)
Edit Reason: Home from work

#1143 - 01/28/08 05:58 PM Re: All resurrections should be created equal! [Re: Cerberus]
Ganelon
Unregistered

I think especially in CMS all casting attempts should give XP, even sputters (but reduced). XP stands for experience and you gain it even from unsuccessful attempts.
Page 6 of 13 « First<45678>Last »

Hop to:
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.023 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.