Who's Online
0 registered and 13 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1415 - 03/11/08 12:47 PM Re: Special areas? [Re: Cerberus]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
Ok I had a brilliant post typed up but then my shitty connection died so everybody gets the super short version.

I think there are really 2 topics here, one for special areas and one for special items.

I don't think balancing either one is that difficult honestly. Allow me to illustrate first with special areas. Keep in mind this example isn't something I've planned to code it's just an example.

Let's say that one of the buffer mobs in goblin town (say gobbla) has a key on them that allows access to the goblin elite treasury. Once in the secure room the player is greeted by a guard and once the player supplies a password (which could be learned through some other method) the goblin will exchange a standard goblin weapon given to him (take off a dead goblin presumably) and given an unsurpassed iron weapon of the same type but with *1 icy and *1 flame on it. This would be repeatable once per hour per player.

Now, people COULD complain that this would be unbalanced as HMs could obtain an infinite supply of free weapons, but that would be a stupid argument because HMs wouldn't WANT those weapons and if they did they could easily obtain something similar.

For somebody just starting out however it WOULD be worthwhile to figure it out and get that weapon.

Everything is like that. Even if you took the masks from the stalker's realm and really looked at them. For those who aren't aware the masks in a nutshell:

1. Grant haste to the wearer
2. Poof out randomly
3. Randomly summon high level mobs to kill you
4. Randomly cause damage to the wearer

They are easily found killing probably the toughest mobs in the game in a hard to reach location. Normally this is accomplished by a team of at least 2 HMs and it isn't uncommon even for 2 level 50+s to experience a death on a farming mission.

That said, I've used them to help level my lower level characters up and I really only did when some HM friends were on so that in the event of a deadly mob, they could come and save me.

Is this unbalanced? Perhaps to some but if you require a HM on call to kill mobs for you whil using an item, chances are you can probably get access to a level 11 spell to be cast on you if you can't cast it.

#1424 - 03/12/08 04:06 PM Re: Special areas? [Re: Charon]
Garkin Offline
stranger

I seem to remember there were several artifacts floating around darkemud when I was playing 10+ years ago. Are any of them still around? Some were quite powerful, but had terrible downsides.

For example, there was a ring that granted complete invisibility and undetectability. But you had a 60% chance of aggressively attacking anything that entered the room while it was worn; regardless if it was a friend or foe.

That sort of stuff made the game so much more interesting and fun. It just requires a coder creative enough to invent a way to balance whatever cool power exists.

#1426 - 03/12/08 06:09 PM Re: Special areas? [Re: Garkin]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
That's an interesting take - is it more important to have unique artifacts than special areas?

I remember a few of the old artifacts, and many roleplaying attempts following them...

Page 2 of 2 <12

Hop to:
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.