Who's Online
0 registered and 0 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1780 - 04/10/08 04:28 PM Re: Colors For Crits [Re: Rancid]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Rancid
That was the point I was making.

Your point was a bit incomprehensible. Why would "multiple limbs" be the "downfall" of coloured limb severs? How would "limited number of limbs to be severed" be relevant, since you can get limb-sever crits even when the mob is out of limbs?

#1782 - 04/10/08 04:35 PM Re: Colors For Crits [Re: Minstrel]
Rancid Offline

If there are multiple limbs it would cause a flood of colored spam. My apologies, I thought that was fairly obvious. If tentacles 1-10 came flying off there would be a quarter or half of one combat round inundated with color. If there were cripples to those same limbs and cripples were colored then you get a lot of color. Your still talking about limited amount of color in combat IMO. But in so far as trying to get more of a group conscious on the matter and not trying to go over board; the idea of keeping the colors to IKs instead of severs seems to be a better idea.
#1783 - 04/10/08 04:42 PM Re: Colors For Crits [Re: Rancid]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Rancid
If there are multiple limbs it would cause a flood of colored spam. My apologies, I thought that was fairly obvious. If tentacles 1-10 came flying off there would be a quarter or half of one combat round inundated with color.

It wasn't obvious because every mob has multiple limbs. There are plenty of crits that sever two to four limbs in a single hit. I wasn't sure what added point you were making.

#1785 - 04/10/08 04:58 PM Re: Colors For Crits [Re: Minstrel]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
"If there are multiple limbs it would cause a flood of colored spam. My apologies, I thought that was fairly obvious. "

Your disrupting blast causes pressure to build in High-man's body.
Suddenly, its arms pop off and fly in opposing directions!
Criegan has his right arm severed!
Criegan has his right hand severed!

That is *one* crit that severs *two* limbs. I was under the impression you wanted the CRITS to get special colours? Not the result? (The result = "Criegan has his right arm severed!" etc).

So no, it wasn't obvious at all.

#1790 - 04/11/08 12:25 AM Re: Colors For Crits [Re: Kim]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
I don't see why we need to color the sever and cripple crits. Straight up, you're getting a message telling you that limbs were severed or crippled.

IKs would be nice, because sometimes you're getting an IK in your 6th or 7th round of combat, and it's nice to know you had an IK in there.

Instead of adding color, to satisfy some people (Rancid), why not add a "Target was instantly killed" (please don't hate me, it's just a suggestion) similar to "Target has his limb severed/crippled".

It wouldn't add a plethora of color, and it would add to what we already have.

I don't think color is necessary, plus, it's much easier for you to add whatever god awful colors you want with your client so that anytime you see SQUISH!!! It's in bright blue with a bright red background.

#1795 - 04/11/08 12:46 PM Re: Colors For Crits [Re: carmy]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
I don't think Rancid's request was rediculous at all. Instant Kills in particular are event-worthy details. Severs (when they don't happen 4 times every fight) are as well. For that matter cripples are pretty important to the overall outcome of a fight too. The idea has merit, and the fact that some are avidly opposed, some avidly in support, and some avidly in the middle is surely enough to warrant further review in addition to debate.

That being said, I'm of the opinion that client-side colors would be best for this. I'm sure it could be added as a combat option in the future, but it's not something I think anyone could consider high priority. Come to think of it, I'm sure all events as a result of a critical could be colorized by combat options, but it would take some effort on the part of someone first. If they look at it, and it turns out to be fun, it'll get done quickly as a pet project. However none of the immortals are paid, and most of us have more than enough work on our respective plates already.

To give you an idea, to make yesterday's seemingly simple combatoptions change took about 10 minutes. To make sure it worked properly in all cases ballooned that time to over two hours. I'm not the best programmer on the team, but I do have some ability. Anyone could've done it, but it would take some people 15 minutes and others 8 hours, so it really depends on how we want to divvy out our resources sometimes.

As an aside, I think the inflammatory comments really help the discussion along. They're very reminscent of the dangerous Darke I grew up on where running your mouth got you murdered (most often into oblivion). I am surprised no one resorted to calling anyone a "fairy", considering some of those involved. HATE! heh.

Edited by Harold (04/11/08 04:49 PM)
Edit Reason: More time to write.

#1805 - 04/12/08 06:37 AM Re: Colors For Crits [Re: Cerberus]
carmy Offline

You talkin' about me, fairy? ;\)
#1807 - 04/12/08 07:14 AM Re: Colors For Crits [Re: carmy]
Muod Offline

Loc: MA/CA
actually I would just like to color crits different from hits with combatoptions, i think that would be more then enough
#1808 - 04/12/08 09:54 AM Re: Colors For Crits [Re: carmy]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
 Originally Posted By: carmy
You talkin' about me, fairy? ;\)

I'm sure he didn't mean you. I mean why would he call you a fairy? Just because you flew around on 4 translucent wings, glowed with good energy and were followed around by a smaller faerie?

#1810 - 04/12/08 10:08 PM Re: Colors For Crits [Re: Charon]
carmy Offline

*cough* 6 wings *cough* heh
Page 2 of 2 <12

Hop to:
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.011 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.