Who's Online
0 registered and 13 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2048 - 06/07/08 01:46 PM Re: Exp Display Messaging [Re: Charon]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Charon

I would be ok without even seeing how much xp to level.

Hey, I like that!

I mean, personal xp numbers in one's score report are the whole idea of mudding, IMO. Half of mudding is seeing the numbers changing.

#2072 - 06/17/08 07:43 AM Re: Exp Display Messaging [Re: Minstrel]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
Note has been taken of the general sentiment. No decision has been made as to how to implement this yet, but one will be made soon.

#2082 - 06/26/08 11:10 AM Re: Exp Display Messaging [Re: Cerberus]
addict

Enabling xp messages will be available in the near future. This is a non-binding vote to determine whether or not xp messages are interesting enough to be a draw for in-character interactions. To explain further I will use an example:

"Fyyam the Drow-elf Chaotic-Lord would like to know how much experience she is earning. Following clues written in a dusty tome in her guild hall she discovers a secret entrance into a temple of demons in Kuril. Learning from her guildmaster the name of a particular demon advisor she makes a deal to have that demon inform her of her progress toward greatness every time she learns something."

This vote assumes that you would want to see XP messages somehow, so if you don't want them to be available to anyone ever please don't bother to vote. If you do want them to be available and decide to vote "No", please spend the time to put at least a little blurb about why you would not spend the time to do this or dislike the idea.
XP Messages
You may choose only one
Yes, I would take the time to find and use IC enabling of XP messages
No!

Votes accepted starting: 06/26/08 11:02 AM
View the results of this poll.

#2083 - 06/26/08 05:24 PM Re: Exp Display Messaging [Re: Cerberus]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
"Enabling xp messages will be available in the near future."

Why? Is there a goood reason for it? the best reason I have seen is "Uh, I am too stupid to determine what kind of weapon builds are good without them", which is a doh! At least *I* managed to completely redefine what a good weapon build is without them, and the crit messages that came later affected that not one bit.

#2085 - 06/27/08 11:53 PM Re: Exp Display Messaging [Re: Kim]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
Kim, it's not about people being stupid or not stupid. This information is available regardless of how stupid you are. You never needed these exp messages for weapon building, and it's not like it's been in that long, there have been massive changes since it's put in etc, that would merit that statement.

This is a matter of style, and it's a question of whether people want easy access to this information or not.

That having been said, I don't feel anything IC enabling this is a good idea. I never viewed exp as an IC number, so having my GM say "If you wanna know how much exp you're getting go talk to this guy." in any way you want to phrase it, seems kind of funky to me. That's why I voted no.

I don't particularly care if the messages are there, but I think if people want them, they were put in at one point, and they aren't hurting anything, then why not have them available if people want?

#2109 - 07/23/08 02:38 PM Re: Exp Display Messaging [Re: carmy]
Siani Offline
stranger

Loc: Hell
I also voted no for some sort of IC exp interaction. If anything like that were to be put in I don't think it should give numbers but rather tell you about how many days,weeks,months it will take to get the next level. Kinda like how skillcheck works for devs I guess.

On the other hand I did like the xp messages and it's not because I'm stupid *glares at Kim* but rather because I am lazy. And if when I get a new spell/skill I can toggle something on that's gonna tell me how much xp I am getting and then I can turn it right back off to avoid spam....well by george that would just rock.

So bring it back I say! As an optional tool for us lazy potheads!

#2110 - 07/29/08 10:50 AM Re: Exp Display Messaging [Re: Siani]
addict

Any interest in this if it were to announce after a certain amount of xp gain in a particular type? So for instance, you could see "You have gained 10,000 combat experience." after using weapon A for 15 rounds, and the same message while using weapon B for 20 rounds - you'd note that weapon A was better (or at least, performed better over those rounds) but would still be restricted from seeing exact xp gain per hit/crit/etc.

The same being true for runes/spells. So 10 progress reports for inscribe rune A and 8 for inscribe rune B would show you that inscribe rune B was better for xp. How about if this were settable as a percentage of remaining xp to level? Settable at static amounts in increments of 5000/50000/500000/5000000/etc?

#2114 - 07/30/08 02:00 PM Re: Exp Display Messaging [Re: Cerberus]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
Since the xp is shown on the score it's *very* easy to figure it out. Also people can put it in their prompt.

#2571 - 08/04/12 05:25 PM Re: Exp Display Messaging [Re: Charon]
sabu Offline
journeyman

Loc: wisconsin
How about we use a skill that is already in the game and revamp it, compare. This is an unused skill that caould be very useful if it was able to say not only if it was better then said item but why it was better. Just a thought.
Page 2 of 2 <12

Hop to:
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.023 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 19 queries. Zlib compression disabled.