Who's Online
0 registered and 14 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2151 - 09/10/08 08:38 PM Hiatus Rules Change Suggestion
Onslaught Offline
stranger

Mactorg asked me to post this hear. I've brooched the issue with madoc as well.

This mud doesn't properly function without a player base, but more importantly, a character base. With so few players, each person is virtually a monopoly in anything they choose to do. This discourages competition, interaction, and all around fun in playing the mud. And that is assuming that someone is even filling a necessary role (can you say no weapon tinker in existance that plays?)

This is devestating to the survival of Darke in so many ways, and who can disagree?

I've talked with admins in detail about the pluses and minuses of allowing alts, and right now there's a 37 day delay in hiatus system.

I've proposed either removing this down to 1 day 2 days 7 days, something drastically more reasonable, and easing up on the rules on hiatus to allow more variation and production and economy in the mud. You can't hope to attract new players when they can level all the way to high mortal using an iron weapon because no weapon tinkers exist. The excuse of "well there's crafted items out there" really is a sad excuse. We all want to encourage activity,interaction and fun on the mud, let's open this up so resources are more readily available.

Let's greatly tune down or eliminate the hiatus. Let people have 3-5 people in hiatus and give them a 1-7 day turnaround in changing their characters. 37 days is eternity in mud life, and there just is NOT enough people on darke to support a realistic economy that it needs to be truely enjoyable.

Please post your thoughts. I think Madoc implied that he liked the idea, but wanted more feedback. mactorg referred me to post here too.

Onslaught

#2152 - 09/11/08 12:38 AM Re: Hiatus Rules Change Suggestion [Re: Onslaught]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
I think that it's a great idea. Frankly, I don't know if the pbase is going to go up again anytime soon, so it might actually be a permanent solution. As it is, just about everyone shares equipment between their hiatus chars anyway because there isn't much left for people to use, unless you're part of the group that's looted everyone. When I wanted to make weapons for my char, it took me over 3 months, and I was an armour tinker and had an elementalist in hiatus that I used. That's rediculous. I shouldn't have to wait 3 months to make weapons when I have the resources and the characters to do it. Let's not even get started on armour.

Frankly, I don't see why there aren't NPCs to offer better goods than iron at elevated prices, but that's a different topic.

#2153 - 09/11/08 08:19 AM Re: Hiatus Rules Change Suggestion [Re: carmy]
MacTORG Administrator Offline
Keeper of the Elder Eddas
enthusiast

Loc: Oregon
I have several varibles to adjust, one is the amount of days and the other is the amount of slots. and it is very eazy to adjust as needed.

should we start out things at the smallest number and work up? or start half way? it is still limited to 29 level or above before being able to hiatus that player.

#2154 - 09/11/08 09:16 AM Re: Hiatus Rules Change Suggestion [Re: MacTORG]
enthusiast

Ok, I have done some thinking and I will be adjusting the Hiatus system in 3 settings with each setting lasting one month in real time.
So the first month from 9/11 to 10/11 will be set to the following:
Min Hiatus real life days : 1
Player level is still 29 overall.
Next month 10/11 to 11/11 will be set to the following
Min Hiatus real life days: 3
And from 11/11 to 12/11 it will be set to:
Min Hiatus real life days: 7
After that I will do a poll and see how people like it and I will make a perm choice, but it can be adjusted later on as things change.

#2157 - 09/11/08 10:28 AM Re: Hiatus Rules Change Suggestion [Re: MacTORG]
enthusiast

just thought about this, but if a person had 3 players in hiatus they could do 3 player changes in one day every day with a 1 day min hiatus time.

am I correct in this? maybe we should start out at 3 days since the max slots is 3.

#2158 - 09/11/08 10:35 AM Re: Hiatus Rules Change Suggestion [Re: MacTORG]
enthusiast

I think we are going to do it in a shorter time at 15 days for 2 months, then 7 days at 1 month and 3 days at two weeks.

this will give me some data to work from.

#2159 - 09/11/08 12:08 PM Re: Hiatus Rules Change Suggestion [Re: MacTORG]
Onslaught Offline
stranger

Mactorg solution is simple

even with 1/3/7 simply have a shared delay system. Ergo, if you hiatus 'any' character you can't take any of your other 3 out for 1 3 or 7 days. That prevents you having multiple chars on same day etc etc.

1 day may be too short, 3/7 seems reasonable but that's just my opinion....1 day could even be good but really not necessary.

#2160 - 09/11/08 12:09 PM Re: Hiatus Rules Change Suggestion [Re: Onslaught]
Onslaught Offline
stranger

this way we can avoid having the 15 day hammer in this mix? seems a bit long lol
#2161 - 09/11/08 01:29 PM Re: Hiatus Rules Change Suggestion [Re: Onslaught]
Byakko Offline
stranger

This is essentially allowing multis for creation/crafting type guilds.

The whole point of the hiatus system was to allow players a chance to do something else when they needed a break from their primary character.

While I understand the intent of this change is to allow players a way to more easily access products which currently are unavailable due to the low player base, the likely negative side effects outweigh the benefits:
1) A loss of interaction and bartering. When one or two players can completely supply their own needs, there is little need to negotiate with others.
2) A reduction in full time crafters. Why play a tinker/chanter when everyone has an alt to switch to make their own things? This will harm newbies the most, since they are the ones most in need of the "usuals" being around.
3) Devaluation of crafting labor. Granted, the cms system combined with the ability to craft and fight simultaneously has already made most crafting essentially free. But this is just the final nail in the coffin.
4) Favors those with greater play time excessively. At least before you could play a guild with few players and be useful. Now, those guys who can mud 150 hours a week will have an alt in your guild that will render you pointless.
5) Removes an incentive to convince a friend to play. No need to convince a friend to come play a chanter when you can just make one as an alt.

In addition, I question the validity of your justification for this change. You make it sound as though the essential equipment for play is being monopolized and is hard to acquire. But in reality, tinkers are the most common guild and convincing them to make things isn't -that- challenging, especially if you're actually willing to pay for it. Enchanters, while certainly an added bonus, are not essential for survival, and there's a decent number of them too. And remember, you already have the option to hiatus to a different guild if there's something you just can't live without - the restriction of you having to play them for a while only helps the market if there's truly a shortage of that good.

#2162 - 09/11/08 01:47 PM Re: Hiatus Rules Change Suggestion [Re: Byakko]
enthusiast

True it would be more of a bennifit to have others come and play and help out with things.

it is a nasty point of any mud, automate more and have npc produce better products or find players via advertizing and other avenues to bring players on board. I am working on a new front page for darkemud.com and doing some local advertizing at the local college here in my town. I will keep this mud going for a long time and we are not going anyplace, and if things work out well, my sons will keep the server going even longer than I will.

I know some of this issue is because of a system crash that causes equipment to be lost. if it wasn't for the iron issue to all restored equipment from backups it wouldn't be to bad of an issue. but I would think we should beable to fix that in another way. have it restore from backups automatically via an lpc and external command that will put the right files in the right location directly on live without doing all the manual unarchiving and copy over of the objects and room data.

I think I am off topic a little bit..

but what can we do to either fix this issue of equipment requirements or recovery of the equipment from backups. I can do some stuff for the recovery of items from backup, but it is a major task because I don't think we have external cmds working with this version of the driver. so it would have to be something that is ran every so often like we do for the emailing of passwords.

as for advertizing that is something I am willing todo and even put a magnetic sign on my car around town!

anything to promote things, but at the same time we have things that need fixing and if we get an influx of players and then piss them off with bugs then we lose a chance.

ok, enough random chats from me.

what do you think?

Page 1 of 3 123>

Hop to:
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.021 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.