Who's Online
0 registered and 13 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2352 - 12/24/08 11:22 AM Quests
Lorthag Offline
stranger

The downfall of most MUDS or at least the reason why people leave.. is that the hack and slash gets old.

I think all the old quests should be brought back, along with some new ones that have been coded and never put in place.

The Admin can randomly switch things to keep the quests fresh and offer exp accordingly.

That will keep everyone in many many more areas and having more fun.

I can remember 8 of us trying to kill the lich to get her dagger.. I know that is not a quest, but it is something people wanted. Changing the lich to hunt people down after she dies is ridiculous. We should be killing her and her sending down the undead like we used to.

I Love many things about the mud now, but there are some Great parts of the old mud that have been dropped because of opinions. Bringing them back will help out

Just my opinion

Lorthag

#2362 - 12/28/08 08:14 PM Re: Quests [Re: Lorthag]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
Quests are a troubling matter. Ideally we'd have template quests. These are quests in which the keys to completion are all randomized like this:
Quest 1 - Retrieval
Talk to area quest mob.
Travel to <place 1>
Find <item>
return to quest mob.

Quest 2 - Conquer
Talk to area quest mob.
Go to <place 1>
Talk to <mob 1>
Find <target>
Kill <target>
Retrieve <item>
Give <item> to <mob 1>
return to quest mob.

I've written some daemon control for this sort of thing, such that it'll track individual players quests, but haven't actually tried to write a complete quest for it. Part of the problem is the amount of work involved to make just one quest with 3 steps is quite high. I'll try and add the quest to the Undead Grounds since it's got the furthest toward this effect.

#2363 - 12/30/08 09:38 PM Re: Quests [Re: Cerberus]
Lorthag Offline
stranger

Thanks Cerberus.. One thing, you could put ALL the quests back and just work on randomizing them as we go along.

Then like every week or two we would find out which one changed and everyone will try it again.

Thanks for all you do!

Lorthag

#2365 - 12/31/08 08:46 AM Re: Quests [Re: Lorthag]
addict

The work to randomize a quest is no small task, it takes weeks for me to set up the skeleton, and the rewards for these would have to be looked at to. What this all adds up to is it's a certainty that I won't be enabling all quests and coming back to revise them. As each area is reviewed, rewritten, and recoded to be part of a cohesive story line and overall mud feel, the quests already in those areas will also be reviewed, rewritten, and reinstated. In some cases new quests will undoubtedly be written.

#2368 - 12/31/08 09:33 PM Re: Quests [Re: Cerberus]
Lorthag Offline
stranger

I understand everything you have said, and apreciate you even considering what you are gonna do.

I have to ask though, wouldn't it make more sense to put the quests back at least for now, for nothing else than to get people into the areas that no one goes into anymore?

I am sure you can see that some well coded areas, are not even getting a look for one reason or another, and at least that would spread out the mud a little more.

Lorthag

#2374 - 01/02/09 07:56 AM Re: Quests [Re: Lorthag]
addict

Originally Posted By: Lorthag
... wouldn't it make more sense to put the quests back at least for now, for nothing else than to get people into the areas that no one goes into anymore?
This can be viewed in at least two ways: a) Quests bring people to explore areas. 2) Quests are solved immediately without attention being paid to the are they're in once the solution is known. When I first joined Darke I was taken on a whirlwind QP gaining session by following a player to each area and typing in what I was told to type in. I knew nothing of the area before or after that, and in some cases I solved quests that were in areas I never returned to. All of this leads me to be in the camp of 2).

Originally Posted By: Lorthag
I am sure you can see that some well coded areas, are not even getting a look for one reason or another, and at least that would spread out the mud a little more.
Without an adventurer's hall with rewards to redeem QPs for, would anyone bother to solve the quests? One of the reasons for a lack of quests is the imbalance in rewards. Someone who buys extra HB for instance is much better off than someone who buys extra AC. So rewards would have to be dreamed up and balanced as well.

In general, seeking to 'spread out the mud' by implementing single-use quests seems like a foolish notion to me. Even if some players do go out of their way to explore and solve these quests, by virtue of their one-of nature that area is no more attractive once the quest is complete.

#2377 - 01/02/09 07:03 PM Re: Quests [Re: Cerberus]
Lorthag Offline
stranger

Well some people did not enjoy the quests, so never came back to the said areas, but alot of people did.

Also putting the "old" quests in would be fine since barely anyone even remembers them. Who would it hurt? Put different redeemable awards in the quest shop, like amulets and rings that wear off after a week, so if someone wants that particular item, they can go solve the quest.

The rewards get better as the more quest points you get so you might have to go do the crypt quest and nutnux to get a ring of invisibility or something like that.

People WILL do the quests over and over and have fun doing them.

Sheesh people now goto the same areas and kill the same mobs 1000's of times to get just plain ole exp. Nothing changes in the areas at all. They still do them

Make the rewards fun and not permanent. You can only get quest points for any single quest once a week or so, and trust me people will do them over and over, just like people have killed the legionnaires probably 10,000 times and still do it.

Then people will visit all the areas, kill different mobs, and spread out. You could even make like a "special" top of the line award for all the quest points solved in a week. something like a BOE ring or something extra nice.

I know you do not enjoy the quests, but I am thinking about broader things, like using the entire mud, not just the 10% of it we use now.

Thanks!

Lorthag

#2379 - 01/02/09 08:44 PM Re: Quests [Re: Lorthag]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
"Make the rewards fun and not permanent. You can only get quest points for any single quest once a week or so, and trust me people will do them over and over,"

Best argument I've read *against* reinstating old quests.

#2380 - 01/02/09 08:47 PM Re: Quests [Re: Kim]
Lorthag Offline
stranger

Wow,

Thanks for the positive support.. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions

Lorthag

Edited by Lorthag (01/02/09 08:51 PM)

#2529 - 07/24/11 10:12 PM Re: Quests [Re: Lorthag]
juffsion Offline
stranger

looking forward for more articles on your blog Cool to read, worth learning! Keep it up!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p90x p90x online p90X sale

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.