Who's Online
0 registered and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2227 - 10/04/08 01:21 PM players dealing with rule breakers?
MacTORG Administrator Offline
Keeper of the Elder Eddas
enthusiast

Loc: Oregon
what do you guys think would happen if the admins get out of the rules job?

we just code and code. and if we feeling like doing something about it we do, but we may not because we are busy?

would the newbies get killed totally? would chaos be the norm? would players leave completly?

what would happen?

those that are high level or those that can be online all the time would rule. kinda like WOW. those that play WOW 10 to 18 hours a day are the powerful players.

how much should we get into things or not get into things?

maybe we can deal punishment based on good and roleplay based plees to us via mudmail?

it is a question I would like to find out about.

but fun is the underlining thing, but time to do areas and stuff is key as well.

again what do you think?

#2287 - 11/08/08 11:53 AM Re: players dealing with rule breakers? [Re: MacTORG]
enthusiast

no comments??? wow I must be right on the spot with this one.

#2288 - 11/08/08 11:53 AM Re: players dealing with rule breakers? [Re: MacTORG]
enthusiast

or just an ass for even asking???

#2291 - 11/08/08 06:01 PM Re: players dealing with rule breakers? [Re: MacTORG]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
The MUD has gone long periods of time without admins, and the dedicated players will stay. Honestly, I don't think admin should ever get involved in player affairs unless something admin related has changed the game. For example, a crash, I think reimbs should be given. It wasn't the players fault at all, and as a result, they shouldn't be punished, especially when it takes a really long time for newer players to get equipment again.
Frankly, I think that this post just reinforces old policies.
I also believe that if there are rules broken, for example, ghosting castles, or multikilling, it should be handled by an admin. These things however are usually player monitored and proof can later be provided.

#2298 - 11/17/08 01:06 PM Re: players dealing with rule breakers? [Re: carmy]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
Usually when admin get involved in player affairs that aren't system related (crashes, botting, etc) some people hate it and other people like it. When players get restored old characters, castles returned to owners delinquent on payments, changes to races, reincs or whatever there's a sense that it'll happen again, or that it is unfair or that the time spent being nice to whoever would better be spent fixing something.

I liked Darke the player-run mud. If some people go crazy and murder too much maybe it is nice for players that a admin comes along and wipes DC but in general unless events are being run admin to player interaction is best as conversation instead of action. Some players will always complain that so-and-so has too much influence on some admin, or that that-guy-face always whines until something changes and it is never a good change or all that.

Carmy is right that Darke goes for long stretches - a year or more in some cases - without an admin actively interacting. I hope admin stay active but leave player affairs alone. System rules made to keep the game fun and fair like no botting is another story.

#2397 - 02/23/09 12:03 PM Re: players dealing with rule breakers? [Re: Cerberus]
enthusiast

well how is the mud going now? OK? or just shitty?

#2400 - 02/25/09 05:12 PM Re: players dealing with rule breakers? [Re: MacTORG]
Lorthag Offline
stranger

I have said this before, and got blasted for it, but none the less I love abuse I guess.

Put flavor back in the mud. Bring back alot of the old areas that really have no reason not to be in the system. Who actually cares about the 'direction' of the mud, they were fun areas. Kill whoever destroyed ash. Instead of completely making new areas, vamp up monsters and exp in exsisting areas that are not being used.

Put the quest shop back in with temp rewards that only last like a week and go away like rings of dex, str ect and other stuff and put quests back in so people do other things besides hack and slash.

Everyone in the last 12 years keeps trying to improve the mud, and some succeed, but most fail. Admin should be evolving the mud to the higher level player base. Right now there are 2 areas that most high mortals kill in ( yes I know there is the very high mortal area behind the crypt, but it is not used that often). Keep evolving the areas currently, try to add new ones, but it would take a fraction of the time improving areas vs new ones.

Quests are fun do to and if you put a renewable reward in there I tell you people would do them. I.E. to get a ring of strenght that will last 7 calender days you need to get 40 qps which would mean you had to do 4 different quests to get a total of 40 points.

Just ideas!

Thanks

Lorthag

#2402 - 02/27/09 09:20 AM Re: players dealing with rule breakers? [Re: Lorthag]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
 Originally Posted By: Lorthag
Bring back alot of the old areas that really have no reason not to be in the system.
Every old area that's been removed (that I'm aware of) has been removed because it doesn't conform to the mud's theme, is bugged in some way, or has been reproduced on another mud. I won't be adding any old area without it being reviewed and revamped, both of which take time.

Kill whoever destroyed ash. Instead of completely making new areas, vamp up monsters and exp in existing areas that are not being used.
Whoever destroyed Ash no longer programs for Darke. Again, there's been a replacement/tune-up/new Ash in the pipe for over a year but it's unfinished and I haven't seen the wizard whose project it is in months. Improving existing areas is an option, but those projects are best left to new wizards to cut their teeth on. In general, I think working on our existing areas rather than adding wholly new places is the right route. It doesn't much work out though, as evident by the Grounds recode, and will likely be the case with the Ent Grove recode.

Who actually cares about the 'direction' of the mud, they were fun areas.
The guy with two thumbs who goes "eyyy" - this guy. If I didn't care about the mud's direction I wouldn't spend endless hours working on it. In fact, if I didn't care about the mud I wouldn't be involved with Darke at all. Or any mud for that matter. My preference is for table-top style roleplaying and I'd like to get to the point where we have wizards on live running RP events, dynamically altering the world and its NPC population.

Keep evolving the areas currently, try to add new ones, but it would take a fraction of the time improving areas vs new ones.
Areas evolve as ideas roll in and programmers make them realities. If you've got ideas as to how to improve current areas, I'm all ears. New wizard projects are 10 rooms (minimum, and recommended size) which is designed to allow for improvements and expansions to current areas. The problem tends to be new wizards want to do 100+ room areas and never finish them.

Quests are fun do to and if you put a renewable reward in there I tell you people would do them. I.E. to get a ring of strenght that will last 7 calender days you need to get 40 qps which would mean you had to do 4 different quests to get a total of 40 points.
The quest idea is already under way, and again it's simply a matter of coding time. Currently there is one active wizard (me) and a handful of semi-active programmers (0-10 hrs per week).

Just ideas!

Thank you for the ideas! Regardless of how they're responded to, the fact that you're actively participating is encouraging. What's more, once I've read something I can't unread it, so I do consider it when deciding how to proceed.

#2403 - 02/27/09 05:57 PM Re: players dealing with rule breakers? [Re: Cerberus]
Lorthag Offline
stranger

Thanks as always for the feedback Cerberus. I do apreciate your time and effort. One thing I did mis say was the "direction" of the mud. I ment the theme of the mud. Some of the areas that got removed went against the so called theme of the mud. I really disagree. The theme of the mud is the active system and the people in it, not the areas.

You mentioned that some areas got removed because they are copies of areas in other muds. I am pretty sure most of the muds they would of been copied from or have been stolen to are long gone. This would be the only mud where that area would be available.

The OLD ash area is in the other darkemud file that txyyxyin was in. I know you don't have the password to it, but maybe mactorg does. If he does it is an easy fix. If he don't then were just as screwed as we were.

My idea of revamping older areas, were more simply put to put tougher mobs in there or give the current mobs in there a huge boost. for example.. no one really goes to the dwarven mines. The mobs there give MUCH less exp per kill than other similar mobs do in other areas. Make them a little tougher and give them an exp boost. Same with areas like kobolds, or other areas that really do not get any count whatsoever. I know there is an area counting system that shows how many people go into a specific areas.

You and I have had the quest talk several times and your idea is a great one, I differ in opinion, but that is absolutely fine. If I really wanted to make a difference I would be admin, and I choose not to be, your admin and that means alot because coding sucks. You taking the time to do it is much appreciated!

Thanks as always!

Lorthag

#2406 - 03/13/09 03:15 PM Re: players dealing with rule breakers? [Re: Lorthag]
Din Administrator Offline
stranger

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
In my opinion, the admin should NEVER interfere with any issues regarding players unless there is a blatant and proven case of bug abuse and/or cheating. All admin intervention does is make people afraid to create any kind of conflict for fear of getting ridded, punished, or warned by admin to stop because of the possible chance the person they were going after was friends with an admin. If there is no conflict on a pk mud (yes, this IS a pk mud), the mud in general becomes very repetitive and eventually boring. This causes players to stop playing over time and in the long run hurts our pbase. Sometimes there may be a period of peacetime within the mud when no ones doing any mass killing, but the possibility of conflict brewing at any given time for any given reason keeps players on their toes. If you take that possibility away, what is everyone really playing for anyway?

Now some players may have the argument of a group of HMs killing and looting everyone off the mud and making the game unplayable for innocent players. Those players argue that if the admin didnt step in, that group of killers would be the only players left and everyone would quit. I feel that is nonsense, ive seen that situation occur more than once on both here and when i was on dbr, and i can tell you that in ALL the situations the admin stepped in to end the conflict, the mud became very slate and devoid of any conflict for a long long time and caused a lot of players to become bored and leave (and in dbrs case it pretty much killed the mud when i saw it done). Conversely, in the situations where the admin allowed the conflict to continue, it actually caused a lot of players to bond together in ways youd never see otherwise to fight back or protect themselves, and in the long run helped the muds growth. Yes, a situation can occur where the killers are just too powerful to anyone to do anything about, but i can assure you those killers will get bored after they realize theres no challenges left for them and eventually slow down, feeling they have 'won'.

If a player is clearly abusing a bug though or is flagrantly violating the 'help policy' rules, that is something completely out of the hands of players who are using fair means and not breaking the rules. In that case, the admin should step in and deliver the appropriate punishment to ensure no one is getting an unfair advantage. But for anything else, the players themselves should deal with any issues regarding pk and/or looting. Just my two cents.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.