Who's Online
0 registered and 13 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2405 - 03/13/09 02:45 PM Cerberus Projects
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
I haven't done this in a while, but this is my current project (and priority) list. Those marked with an asterisk (*) are being actively worked on, while those without are either on hold or still in planning stages.

Boats* - Consider this a solicitation for input!

Ent Grove area* - A complete recode to return one of Darke's beloved areas to hunting condition. Expanded.

Race Review - altering races to all be attractive for different reasons, and each guild combination playable at worst.

Combat XP - another retooling. Don't hold your breath

#2407 - 03/14/09 05:11 AM Re: Cerberus Projects [Re: Cerberus]
Lorthag Offline
stranger

Cerberus, if you really cared about our imput ( and trust me most people don't think you do, just being honest), you would take some kind of poll to see what people actually want to change/alter about the mud. Then you can see what people actually want to get help on, and what the mud is lacking.

I will not make any comments towards boats or against boats, because it is my ultimate belief that you have already made your mind up on them and nothing me or anyone else can say will help or change that.

Just keeping it real, not trying to be anyway negative at all.

#2408 - 03/16/09 03:55 PM Re: Cerberus Projects [Re: Lorthag]
addict

I appreciate your candor and participation in discussions, Lorthag. I don't like you, or anyone else for that matter but I fully respect each individual so long as they take no liberties with respectful interaction. I'm well aware that I'm a difficult person to have a conversation with (just ask my wife), but I do hope no one feels as though they are better off saying nothing than arguing with me. I value the input of players and would like nothing more than to have everyone participate in the direction of the mud.

What would go on a poll for player's wants?
New/larger/more/better/etc areas, clearly.
Infrastructure? (roads, boats, flying carpets, dragons?)
Artifacts? (quest-driven items?)
...?

There's no way to allow for write-ins beyond adding replies to a poll, and I'd think that if anyone had a desire they'd post it in the forum anyway, so I'd like a comprehensive list before putting up a poll.

#2410 - 03/17/09 02:41 PM Re: Cerberus Projects [Re: Cerberus]
Lorthag Offline
stranger

I really don't think this is about like/dislike of anyone. I honestly don't know you enough to like or dislike you.

Just over the last 10 years of the mud, the same story happens over and over. Everyone ( at least 90%+ ) of the player base says the same thing as I do. I just enjoy being more vocal.

Admin always changes things that are working fine, the pbase never had an issue with and reallly we did not need. They ignore things that are issues and do not listen to the pbase.

Trust me as I have said before If I wanted to code I would, but I don't. What I don't like is admin who do nothing to help improve the quality of play in the mud, but change things cause they want to. Here are some examples:

-How many times has Combat been altered?
-NO one wanted or liked CMS
-How many times have weapons been changed .. ie taken away from guilds?
-How many times have clans been changed?
-How many times have GM stuff been altered/erased/changed?
-how many times has ingots/mines ect been removed or changed?
-potions?
-quests?
-removal of areas?
-changing of perfectly good areas?
-removal of perfectly good well coded guild stuff ie rings ect

Most of these things that have been changed by past admin and current admin, no one wanted or asked for. Now lets talk about current issues that have been on the "fixing" block for years and I mean years.
-Dragon Engines are broke
-Aggro Demons in Cl's still attack you even after controlled
-locks on weapons extremely limit the weapon
-Damage and exp per weapon type is extremely off
-npc's that are knocked down can still cast
-Stun is extremely unbalanced
-alot of spell casting guilds can't read magic being cast
-backstab is a waste and used to be a decent skill
-thieves are broke
-monks are broke
-there is no benefit at all to being a GM now
-there are no high level spells or high level skills in guilds now that people are an average of 30 levels higher than they used to be

I can go on and on, and usually do.

Don't worry, I am sure you are working hard at whatever you are wanting to and that is your perogative.

Just letting you know what direction I am coming from. Don't worry I have had the same talk with Shadowraith, Nevin, Helios, and all the other admin since the origionals and they have all told me to piss off. So your reply whatever it may be is no biggie. I am not saying this to aggrivate you, just making my suggestions.

I am sure your a great guy, or your a jerk... either way it makes no difference to me. I do appreciate you being admin, it is a thankless job, but I won't say I agree with your direction when I don't.

-Lorthag

#2411 - 03/17/09 05:01 PM Re: Cerberus Projects [Re: Lorthag]
addict

Originally Posted By: Lorthag
-Dragon Engines are broke
Define this better, please. As far as I'm aware, dragon engines function just like every other pet, they simply suck too terribly (especially in light of their exorbitant creation costs)

-Aggro Demons in Cl's still attack you even after controlled
Things like this are what the 'bug' command is for. There is not now, nor has their been during my stint as an admin, any mention of this in the bug logs. I'll be happy to take a look at it.
-locks on weapons extremely limit the weapon
Please elaborate. I'm not likely to undertake this, but it will be on my radar if I know exactly what we're talking about.
-npc's that are knocked down can still cast
Again, the 'bug' command exists for a reason. I don't believe you're correct in this at all, however. Mobs immediately (seriously, no delay what-so-ever) stand after being knocked down, so it's much more likely that they're casting after standing up after being knocked down in the same round. Still something that needs to be looked at if it is true.
-alot of spell casting guilds can't read magic being cast
I'll happily listen to your explanation and arguments on this topic!
-thieves are broke
Broke how? Boring I can understand. One dimensional, certainly. As far as I'm aware, all of their skills function (even if not with any real enjoyability)
-monks are broke
Not my baby. Not interested in them at all, unfortunately. Especially with all the previously existing guilds that need attention and the creator of monks not taking the lead on them when he did return.
-there is no benefit at all to being a GM now
Beyond a fairly stellar piece of equipment? I'm open to listen to suggestions and have the GM symbol quest on my short 'to-do' list.
-there are no high level spells or high level skills in guilds now that people are an average of 30 levels higher than they used to be
This is worth an new topic post in my opinion.

#2412 - 03/17/09 05:33 PM Re: Cerberus Projects [Re: Cerberus]
Lorthag Offline
stranger

Dragon Engines are broke- They have the same benefit if made with iron or any other ingot. The idea behind dragon engines is that they would get the crits from the ingot you used to make them.

Aggro C/L demons- Have been bugged by me back when I was a CL 10 years ago, ganelon bugged them 3 times he said and I have bugged them once.

Locks limit the weapons- Right now people have 300++ wield and only can lock something upto 223. Also if you can bind demons on top of the locks so you can get the wield upto like 250-260, when the locks wear off you can't relock them on cause the wield is showing too high.

NPCs that are knocked down can still cast- I am NOT wrong on this I have seen both demons I have summoned and the Priest in SAAK do it several times. They do not immediately stand back up, in fact Mactorg put a post that said some mobs will stay down for 2-3 rounds sometimes. The function I am talking about is that they are actually on the ground and cast a spell at you.

C/Ls and other guilds are magic users.. at a certain point they should be able to be able to read magic cast on weapons and being cast at them. The basic magic understanding that every magic guild must have to cast magic, should at some point make them able to at least check the aura of a weapon or armour and see what spell is being cast at them, even if they don't know how to cast it.
I mean before it is cast, not when or after it is cast.

Thieves are broke... Their highest level skills are very weak, and your right I probably mispoke on this... Thieves suck as a guild is a better statement \:\)

GM's have no benefit-
Back a while ago GM's could summon and trans with their amulet. That was a decent ability that was not a Stellar piece of equipment. It made some benefit of being a GM. Trust me the old GM weapons were crap anyway, any well enchanted weapon could be made better than the GM weapons

Monks- Kill the guild it is a waste of space on someones hard drive, if no one wants to take it seriously.

I love how you break things out.. I am really too lazy to do that. Thanks for the quick replies!

Lorthag

#2413 - 03/18/09 10:39 AM Re: Cerberus Projects [Re: Lorthag]
addict

Dragon Engines are broke- They have the same benefit if made with iron or any other ingot. The idea behind dragon engines is that they would get the crits from the ingot you used to make them.
So far I'm finding this isn't true, though the only easily discernible differences (crit types from physical attacks, armour bonuses, etc) may have been overridden via changes to the inherited pet/monster files over the years. I'd rather take a deeper look later - my idea has been to change enchanter pets to be mech-style suits that enchanters can make/own/control only one of and get into. If there's sufficient interest (and I manage to complete some of my current area building projects) I'll revisit them just to make them usable. Seriously not interested though, and mud work is usually best when there's some interest to the programmer.

Aggro C/L demons- Have been bugged by me back when I was a CL 10 years ago, ganelon bugged them 3 times he said and I have bugged them once.
I'm not interested in what was done outside of a time frame in which I'd have been involved. If something is broken, has been broken, and needs to be fixed regardless of when it got broken bug report it. If it's still broken weeks or months later, bug report it again.

This is fixed now. It took all of 15 minutes (including testing and debugging) to do. No reason that bug reporting it 3 times while there's no active administration should stop you from re-reporting continuing issues when there is someone actively soliciting bugs to fix.
Locks limit the weapons- Right now people have 300++ wield and only can lock something upto 223. Also if you can bind demons on top of the locks so you can get the wield upto like 250-260, when the locks wear off you can't relock them on cause the wield is showing too high.
This isn't a bug, but there's a full-on discussion for it here.

NPCs that are knocked down can still cast- I am NOT wrong on this I have seen both demons I have summoned and the Priest in SAAK do it several times. They do not immediately stand back up, in fact Mactorg put a post that said some mobs will stay down for 2-3 rounds sometimes. The function I am talking about is that they are actually on the ground and cast a spell at you.
I'll need to see this happen live in order to delve any further into this. Excepting particular mobs who use their own cast routines, it is 100% completely impossible to cast while in any position other than standing. Most mobs use the standard mortal 'cast' command in order to begin spells and the cast command checks for whether your body position is standing. If it's not, the command fails and your spell can not be cast. Happy to look further in to it, but I'll need something to go on in order to discover whether this is a property of the individual mob or a bug.
C/Ls and other guilds are magic users.. at a certain point they should be able to be able to read magic cast on weapons and being cast at them. The basic magic understanding that every magic guild must have to cast magic, should at some point make them able to at least check the aura of a weapon or armour and see what spell is being cast at them, even if they don't know how to cast it.
I mean before it is cast, not when or after it is cast.
The skill 'spell sense' accomplishes what you're talking about. It isn't available to semi-caster guilds, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be a world lore skill with Madoc's changes (Madoc's changes to spell sense were to allow you to sense the 'type' of spell being cast rather than the exact spell if you don't have that spell.) I'd be interested in discussions of opinions on this.

GM's have no benefit-
Back a while ago GM's could summon and trans with their amulet. That was a decent ability that was not a Stellar piece of equipment.
Summon and trans are couched among the most powerful effects in the game. Other avenues will have to be pursued if you're interested in me taking a look at this.

Monks- Kill the guild it is a waste of space on someones hard drive, if no one wants to take it seriously.
No. This flies directly in the face of what I do - I modify and add, I don't remove. In fact, one of your strongest complaints (and incidentally, one of my pet peeves on a mud) is the removal of the mud's unique content. If some wizard comes along some day and wants to make monks their pet project that'd be ideal. Of course that can't happen if there's no monk guild and/or no player push for a serious overhaul.

#2415 - 03/18/09 02:59 PM Re: Cerberus Projects [Re: Cerberus]
Lorthag Offline
stranger

Excellent work!

I do agree about not "killing" the monk guild, but when I mentioned how horrid it is earlier you said that you wanted nothing to do with it. So rather than have somthing that is completely horrid, I just said kill it.

Summon and Trans are not that powerful when they were the GM items. The only thing A GM could do was trans himself back to his guild or Summon a member of the guild to him when he was back at the guild. That is not that powerful at all when used like that. Yes the summon trans stuff with Nighblades and AM's are very powerful. Different usage completely.

I never said the Locks on weapons was a bug. I just said it limits the game at this point.

Once again I never said you were not a great Admin. I just said that you, like other admin often put things into the system that no one really needs instead of working on fixing the current things that are broken or people have issues with.

This is my personal opinion and others may have different opinions. Most that I have talked to feel the same way.

Thanks for your attention!

Lorthag

#2419 - 03/18/09 03:50 PM Re: Cerberus Projects [Re: Lorthag]
addict

Glad to do it. Keep them coming and I'll keep working on them.

#2420 - 03/20/09 02:47 PM Re: Cerberus Projects [Re: Cerberus]
addict

Originally Posted By: Cerberus
So far I'm finding this isn't true, though the only easily discernible differences (crit types from physical attacks, armour bonuses, etc) may have been overridden via changes to the inherited pet/monster files over the years. I'd rather take a deeper look later - my idea has been to change enchanter pets to be mech-style suits that enchanters can make/own/control only one of and get into. If there's sufficient interest (and I manage to complete some of my current area building projects) I'll revisit them just to make them usable. Seriously not interested though, and mud work is usually best when there's some interest to the programmer.
I'd still like to revisit the idea of enchanter pets completely, but it's looking more and more like that's not going to happen any time soon. In lieu of a true overhaul, this has been fixed to work as expected.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.023 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.