Who's Online
0 registered and 26 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#454 - 12/07/07 10:00 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: sabu]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
There isn't a coding limitation, it's just limited by guild choice really (and some coding to stop non-guild skills from giving xp).

I don't imagine it would be difficult to work around that though. The reason is though that the way the guilds WERE set up is that they almost naturally fell into those 3 categories.

#455 - 12/07/07 10:47 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]
sabu Offline
journeyman

Loc: wisconsin
I think it would be interesting if per say all 3 could be used. when you are created or for the already existed players you would get a token. Take said token to a shop or what not. You would then have the option of picking one other guild that used the CMS you weren't useing. Set it at like 50 for dev ratio or whatever the number means and you can then go to said guild and train. You would only be able to train skills in that catagory also. So me being a tinker could pick lets say enchanter and slowly learn the skills and spells of the enchanter guild. Will i ever get powerful over it, prolly not. Since the dev gain would be so minimal that it would take a few years to even get very far.
#456 - 12/07/07 11:19 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: sabu]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Not a bad idea.. but not so easily balanced. People currently in M guilds would have a much less choice as almost nobody would pick fighter (unless they really wanted balance weapon).

What I imagine most people would do is take thief for a couple of reasons. 1. They can pick locks. 2. They can level pretty quickly even with only 50% devs.

Almost every chanter and AM could be a one stop looting machine.

#457 - 12/07/07 11:21 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

To follow up my negative post, I have a suggestion.

What if select skills only were allowed. Say some of the lower level tinker runes, herbal lore, poison lore, but not pick locks or something like that.

Perhaps have a lower cap on said skills. For the magic guilds perhaps only allow people to train spells to *4 and no spells over level 15 or something like that.

This would allow for some variations but would keep anybody from ever replacing another guild.

#458 - 12/07/07 11:46 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Hum... What about something like... related, non-related and opposite guilds...

First though, you could only train spells and skills lower than.. level 6 or so. I don't think I'd ever want to see an AM with ithian, oblivion or iron will. \:\)

For say AM, related guilds would be... enchanter and elementalist. Training in these guilds would cost 2x. And you would need to be level 25 or so before you could train anything in those guilds. Spells would be limited to *4 or so, skills to 50%.

Neutral guilds would cost 4x, and need higher level, say 35 before you could train. Spells limited to *2, and skills to 25%

Opposite guilds which for AMs would be fighter and thief I guess, which you can't train in at all.

This is very basic and with lots and lots of problems. For example, for enchanters AMs would be a related guild. But AMs have some very unbalanced low level spells, like Point Defense (level 2!), which... would be very nice for enchanters and elementalists to have, to the point where you would be insane not to train it. \:\)

Another obvious problem is the point where guilds have nothing more to train. A paladin needs level 36 magic or so to reach the point where they have every spell in the guild at *6. So they could just focus on crosstraining from there. Enchantenters aren't even finished at level 45 magic, really, and get considerably less XP.

So... lots of balance issues to resolve before even thinking of this. \:\)

This is just vague ideas keep in mind \:\)

#464 - 12/07/07 03:47 PM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Shadowraith]
Gabe Offline
stranger

If you want to liven up the mud, one major thing that we are lacking is new creative content.

Do you have the time and interest to totally overhaul (and probably homogenize) a mud that is reasonably balanced according to specific guild abilities and limitations?

#465 - 12/07/07 06:23 PM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Gabe]
sabu Offline
journeyman

Loc: wisconsin
As far as kims post, i would be against that. I would like to think that the purpose in using all 3 skills is to add a little diversity. I wouldn't really want cross training between magic classes.

I can understand that in the grand scheme of my last post you could get a token and pick a guild based on whatever CMS you weren't using. The argument against that is no one would want to be fighters becasue all they give is balance. I wouldn't think any of the magic classes would want to pick fighters since tinkers get balance also and would seem odd.

My goal of the post was given that you earn 50% devs for each level any class be it thief or tinker for special or any magic class for someone that is tinker,fighter or thief wouldn't ever really get huge in that area.

Someone made the comment that most would pick rogues and be a 1 man looting maching. It would be possible. But given that they would have to spend all of their devs to train either pick pockets and or steal to get to picklocks/ and whatever the prereq is for that skill is it would take to like prolly 20th level to even get to 50% pick lock. I didn't even try the math so if i am wrong i am wrong.

But anyways, the same would go for the magic class. Not sure what anyone would pick as a favorite. But i am sure it would be diverse. Lets just say they chose enchanter. Starting out they could prolly get to like 25-30% enchantment and then *5 exploding rune. It would take forever to level enchantment up to get another spell worth training and then train it up so that it gave good exp.

And if you wanted to put a limit on when you could start it, you say once the charecter is hiatusable. Some people get burnt out once they get to 30th over all and need a break and pick a different charecter to begin with. Maybe more people would stick with that charecter because they now can train into another side of CMS.

Just my thoughts.

#466 - 12/08/07 06:17 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: sabu]
Shadowraith Administrator Offline

Nice discussion, keep going. Flesh it out if you want together.
#468 - 12/08/07 08:13 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Shadowraith]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Sabu
Someone made the comment that most would pick rogues and be a 1 man looting maching. It would be possible. But given that they would have to spend all of their devs to train either pick pockets and or steal to get to picklocks/ and whatever the prereq is for that skill is it would take to like prolly 20th level to even get to 50% pick lock. I didn't even try the math so if i am wrong i am wrong.

Terribly terribly wrong. First of all, 50% pick locks can open just about anything.

Next even with half devs you could probably do it pretty easily.

Next, with 100% devs as a normal thief, around 15s you can get over 1 million xp per hour and still be able to open almost any lock (maybe mines you couldn't at that stage).

If you only cared about looting and not about leveling you could probably do it with 50% devs around the same level, just not bother training as much xp skills.

#469 - 12/08/07 08:14 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

I still think some spells/skills should be limited. A non-chanter, regardless of level shouldn't be able to cast trues for example.

That's just me though.

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Hop to:
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.022 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.