Who's Online
0 registered and 34 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#470 - 12/08/07 08:34 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]
sabu Offline
journeyman

Loc: wisconsin
I can agree with that, so then the question would be is what skills/spells should be open and if they were all open at what cap?
#474 - 12/08/07 05:27 PM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: sabu]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
I'm surprised nobody mentioned cross training as a paladin or cleric... I mean, a fighter with boa, cds, and divine trans is pretty damn sick. A fighter with point defense, sick. A fighter with AOF, HA, maybe even a low level critback spell like holy aura from the WP guild topped off with their point defense spell, really sick. I think it would be silly to allow crosstraining in the first place, if you're just going to block all the fun spells anyway. What's the point of making an AM if they can't haste, get point defense, make portals etc? Cast light and faerie fire?
#475 - 12/08/07 09:34 PM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: carmy]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
What I'd limit for AMs would be sorcery, AEs.. that's about it.

Possibly perming familiars.

#485 - 12/10/07 08:55 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
How about this... Instead of crosstraining, why not a free-for-all adventurers guild It would have all the skills and spells you can cross train? Something like, like.... level * 3-5 trainings.... That way it'd be easy to regulate that no silly powerful spells/skills that need to be guild unique gets crosstrained, and it could add a nice deal of variety. It'd be even more fun if there was a casting skill and a few simple spells for each god. (of the gods that don't already have a guild of their own).

Something like that... Idea not fleshed out very fully. \:\)

#486 - 12/10/07 09:08 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Kim]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

That could be an interesting idea. Leave existing characters as they are, and have a new non-guild introduced.

There would have to be some sort of control implemented. I don't know if I would go with the set number of trainings per level.. that seems like a step backwards, but perhaps have a cap on what they can train. I'd give them less devs (since they can train all 3 categories) and maybe limit training somehow..

Off the top of my head I can think of a few ways to limit training:

1. Only allow a max of 100% in a non-combat skill (to limit spells and skills alike).

2. Spells can only be trained to *4.

3. A negative "training bonus" to make skills slightly more expensive (although that's basically a dev control).

4. Each casting skill beyond the first you train has an additional cost. (for example if you start with 'necromancy' it would cost what it normally would, but if you then started training 'prayer', prayer could have a +2 cost, and then if you started 'magery', magery could have a +4 cost... etc.

Anyways, just out of my ass.

#490 - 12/10/07 11:50 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]
Shadowraith Administrator Offline

I like this idea, but limited to what level skills/spells? cut off at to make dedicated guilds unique?
#495 - 12/10/07 03:57 PM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Shadowraith]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

That, SW, is the million dollar question ;\)

#510 - 12/10/07 06:41 PM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]
Shadowraith Administrator Offline

I have started putting it together to do a little testing (and look over skills/spells in general).

Currently it is called the Polymath guild (google the name) and I am putting in only skills/spells level 9 or less.

Will do some testing to see how it works out. Basically i think it would be fun and cool to start, but then later you'll miss out on the advnaced power of a dedicated guild, but might be a nice way to get a feel for things.

#530 - 12/11/07 09:57 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Shadowraith]
Azarepth Offline
stranger

While it doesn't fit with the polymath theme, what about requiring interaction with other guild members to gain their strengths? For example, I kill an arch-mage and cut the brain from the corpse. When I eat it, I temporarily gain arch-mage abilities (or perhaps the capacity to train a subset of abilities). The limiting factors would be:

- Duration
- Capped skill/spell level
- Guild stacking limit

I know the pros/cons with this sort of setup would be much different, but at a glance it seems interesting.

#537 - 12/11/07 10:58 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Azarepth]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
I happen to like both of these ideas, but see them in very different lights. To be succinct, I believe Azarepth's idea would be better off as a power yielded to recepients of high * levels of the ghouling spell, or as another race or guild entirely.

The polymath is a beautiful idea (it's basically the newbie guild revisited) but one that I think could be expanded upon. Perhaps by allowing a Polymath to level in the Polymath only to a certain point, and then join the guild to which their skills/spells most fit, losing the vast majority of skills/spells that don't fit that guild. This would stop people from having to remake characters after they've decided what they like, and may guide them toward a class they wouldn't have otherwise considered.

Or maybe that idea isn't well thought out. I'm totally enamored with the idea of a race/guild/item ability that allows you to consume foe's powers (anyone seen Heroes recently? heh) right now.

Page 5 of 6 « First<23456>

Hop to:
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.