Who's Online
0 registered and 34 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 6 of 6 « First<23456
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#540 - 12/11/07 11:16 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Cerberus]
Shadowraith Administrator Offline

Hehe, the heroes thing is cute, maybe ill just code Sylar to go around whacking HM's

As far as polymath, the thought so far is that at some point they will get frustrated by their limited power and then "graduate" to a dedicated guild.

The question is do I reimburse spent devs. I say no because if I do then someone will level up in the easy Poly guild then switch to a guild where it is hard to level up.

#544 - 12/11/07 11:26 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Shadowraith]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
In that case, I agree, and retract the idea to allow them to switch guilds at all. If Polymath is easy to level in, and we allow switching of guilds with retention of level you run into the same problem as with dev reimbursement for knowledgeable players. If I level up using only the spells in the arch-mage guild, training fighter combat skills for my combat, then switch to the AM guild I wind up avoiding the poorer devs of the AM guild and the difficulties of early combat in it (although I'm told that guilds no longer modify the hp/mp players get... which irks me for some reason), without losing anything of note. This would be compounded by reimbursing devs for lost skills, but not circumvented by not reimbursing the devs for lost skills - all it would take is knowledge of what the guild you're transferring into has before hand.

The other option is to actually give Polymaths a skill/spell/ability that reincarnates them into another guild (either of their choosing or that is closest to their current training) and imposes some penalty on xp or devs. I think a skill trainable with every dev type and a hard cap of 100% would be best - at 100% you get the least amount of loss when you reinc, anything less and you get greater losses. This would both hinder their Polymath experience (so they aren't using all their devs in xp-giving skills) and afford a way to regulate (to some degree) the power level upon transfering guilds.

#545 - 12/11/07 11:26 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Shadowraith]
Muod Offline

Loc: MA/CA
funny, I admin'd a mud that we developed a classless system, it actually came out very very good, I have one warning, you have to be VERY careful about mixing magics from different guilds, it easy to find a way to abuse that when you are able to tap such a variety of spells. but it does and can work great. personally i'm for it, it means no cookie cutter classes and you can personalize what you want.
#547 - 12/11/07 11:33 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Cerberus]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
I think regardless of how it's done it has to be severly limited, especially in magic. Say only two casting skills allowed or something like that.

Training to only level 9 isn't feasable for a guild, leveling up past that point would be very difficult.

Combat I think would work out fine as it would only limit upper level fighter skills that IMHO should stay unique to fighters.

There was an AM spell, I can't recall what it was called, but it allowed people to temporarily gain the ability to cast spells from other guilds. Perhaps the polymath guild could be built off of a similar concept?

The way it worked to my understanding was the arch-mage would (I can't recall the name of the actual spell so I just called it 'steal spell'):

cast *6 steal spell at harold with ressurection

Then for the duration of that spell, which was several minutes, that person could cast ressurection. Harold would still be able to cast it without impairment.

It could be an interesting concept.. I wouldn't mind playing with designing such a guild.

#548 - 12/11/07 11:39 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]

It is meant to be limiting. So we will see how it works out limitingit to skills/spells at level 9
#550 - 12/11/07 11:43 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Shadowraith]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
That will be too much limiting I think. You can't have a HM with no spells or skills over level 9.

#552 - 12/11/07 12:59 PM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]

Jack of all trades, master of none is the intent. You can graduate to a regular guild most likely, but im not sure about selling devs back
#751 - 12/14/07 07:37 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: sabu]

Closing this, thanks for the discussion. Will not be happening at this time.
Page 6 of 6 « First<23456

Hop to:
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.011 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.