Who's Online
0 registered and 5 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#354 - 12/05/07 10:21 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Kim]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
 Originally Posted By: Kim
Currently guilds are very unbalanced when it comes to gaining levels, so a conversion would be inherently unfair.

That is soooooo true.

Oh, and furthermore... I like the basis of Darke as is.. That change would be essentially making a completely new mud (again). I would much prefer it if it was a separate server.

You hit the nail right on the head Kim. It would basically be a new game. Not necessarily a bad game, I would certainly give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: Shadowraith
Also the question comes up is it just one pool of devs? Or do you keep seperate CMS

I wouldn't suggest a big pool of devs. That seems like a step backwards to me. Perhaps allow people to train at any guild, but to have a set number of devs. For example say 250% devs.. so you could to 100% magic, 50% combat, 50% spec.

Or 125/150/75 or something. But I'd also suggest putting in a cap maybe at 150 and 50.

#372 - 12/05/07 12:02 PM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
In voting for mild dislike of this idea, my main reasoning was Kim's point:
That change would be essentially making a completely new mud

There are some things that make Darke, well... Darke. Guilds are one of them in my opinion. I don't think a guild system would necessacerily need to be scrapped to keep the idea of cross-the-board balance alive though. All guilds do draw from the same pool of skills and spells, but some have access to abilities others don't. What might need to happen is a valuation system for individual skills, and then a limit on the value of what each guild is allowed to have.

Just to put in place a value system would be a massive undertaking, obviously, but the framework would then be forever available when considering additions, subtractions, and changes. If an effect that moves a player adds X value to a guild that scales by a factor of Y for every step away from level Z, adds M value for every factor that makes it easier to accomplish, subtracts N for every factor that makes it harder to accomplish, and ... well, you get the idea. Essentially it would be huge in terms of man hours just to categorize, then obscene to accurately rank, and just plain silly to think would ever occur.

I'm something of an optimist though.

#377 - 12/05/07 12:54 PM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Cerberus]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Crosstraining is dangerous.

I think if it were to be done at all.. it would have to be something like 1% in a crossclass skill per overall level or something like that or trade that in every 10 levels for *1 of a crossclass spell (but never higher than say *2).

Even then it opens up the possibility of some combinations being much more broken than others. For example AMs and SMs could train iron will, but an elementalist wouldn't be able to train spells in any other guilds due to not sharing any casting skills.

It would be very tricky to say the least.

It might be kindof neat if people could train others in their clan for an obscene cost. Say you could teach 1% of a skill for each 20% of a skill that you had and it cost the recipient 5x the normal dev cost.

Even that though would benefit some more than others so it would still be really hard to do.

Actually the more I think about it, the worst it seems.

Might be better if you wanted to do crosstraining if you just let people pick 2 guilds, average the devs they would get for each and let them train both. A fighter elementalist might be interesting.

#380 - 12/05/07 01:26 PM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]
Shadowraith Administrator Offline

This wasnt about cross training at all.

Classless system, means you pick and choose as you go.

#382 - 12/05/07 01:30 PM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Shadowraith]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

I like the idea of the boards. It lets people discuss things in a pretty civilized manner.

And it seems, as a general rule so far, that people have been pretty civilized... unlike some other boards that just turn into flame wars.

In any case to stay on topic, I was trying to suggest a middle ground for the classless system and our current system.

#383 - 12/05/07 01:31 PM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Oh I voted mild dislike. Not that I think the idea is bad, but I like darke how it is. I would welcome the chance to play a classless copy however, provided that it didn't replace the current.

#395 - 12/05/07 04:15 PM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
 Originally Posted By: Drey
Oh I voted mild dislike. Not that I think the idea is bad, but I like darke how it is. I would welcome the chance to play a classless copy however.

I agree entirely with Drey. Though, I do like the ideas of guilds. I think it promotes inter-guild interactions. If a char is a do-it-yourselfer, it may limit interactions between characters.

That having been said, a huge change like this is the kind of thing where we get a surge in the people who are playing, and if they dislike it at all, the pbase drops again by a couple people. I wouldn't want to see that happen either.

#410 - 12/06/07 06:12 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: carmy]
sabu Offline
journeyman

Loc: wisconsin
My other question would be, where would bountys fall too. Whould it be a certain skill/spell that would trigger being able to read them or would everybody have access to them?
#412 - 12/06/07 06:14 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: sabu]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

I would think it wouldn't exist, since there would be no assassins.

#413 - 12/06/07 06:17 AM Re: Hypothesis - Classless Darke [Re: Charon]
sabu Offline
journeyman

Loc: wisconsin
Shrugs, cannot anyone be an assassian? The only difference in a NB pk and anyone else is they earn money from it. Now i am only talking about the pk side and not skills/spells.
Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Hop to:
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.