Who's Online
0 registered and 13 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#763 - 12/14/07 10:30 AM Re: Pwipe Vote: Please vote on the options below [Re: Muod]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
"how about just combing the tinker and chanter guild into one guild"

Ewww no, putting ALL weapon and armour skills and spells into one guild would be just as bad... No need to know more than one person.... Forging and enchanting feels so very different too.

Why is there this urge to do this? Enchanters are fine, Tinkers are pretty OK too...

#765 - 12/14/07 10:34 AM Re: Pwipe Vote: Please vote on the options below [Re: Kim]
Muod Offline

Loc: MA/CA
i was just giving alternatives, i'm fine with them staying as is as well, i've always liked tinkers. and i cannot be a chanter i've tried and failed many times.
#766 - 12/14/07 10:50 AM Re: Pwipe Vote: Please vote on the options below [Re: Shadowraith]
MacTORG Administrator Offline
Keeper of the Elder Eddas
enthusiast

Loc: Oregon
We need to get the list of all the changes that will be put in. with a pros and cons. the pros for a pwipe and the cons for a pwipe. and what can be done if a pwipe isn't completed. and a list of what can be done with a pwipe.

We have alot of things to balance out. I don't know much about the balancing because I have never been a player on the mud. so I am not in a possition to make those kind of choices. But I do see the need for some kinda change. That is why the tinker changes went in because of lack of wizards at the time, and the need for some sort of change.

Sorry for the writing, got a C in english grammer, plus english isn't very logical anyway. so pushing out ideas and all as I am typing. so forgive me on that.

I see alot of great changes that we can put in, but with those changes comes growth in other areas. I have seen Darke grow and change as time goes on, but in spurts. Real life can be a pain, and that pain results in not enought time todo things in a true programming project.

Lets get two list on what can be done if a pwipe is done and one that doesn't have a pwipe.

the list without a pwipe will be put in a new topic with those additions from wizards that are able to help with the changes for the pwipe. it takes alot more time on the wizards side to do things that will not affect the players and be tested to make sure it doesn't bug them out.

the list with a pwipe will be in another topic with those additions from wizards that can help with the changes. it will be done faster because we don't have to consider the conversion of those player files and or equipment that is current in the game.

I think the best way would be to get that text in place for all to read. we had an informal meeting thursday night and talked about things. but I think we need to ahve another one to get these two lists together to be posted at once on the forum to be discussed.

I want to hear all sides of this issue so we can all make the choice, but again, those doing the changes have a large say in things because it is the coders time and swet that is put into the mud to keep it going and running smoothly as much as possible.

It is a wonderful gift to get coders that can spend time on the mud they love to better it. and the more we can get into play with the least amount of pain is great, but sometimes change is good. it sparks conflict and growth and new ideas and new friendships.

I personally don't like conflict because that is the way I am. but without putting down the hammer sometimes things get stagnet.

in a since we are a family of mudders. and we need to work as much as we can to make this place a better place for all. Newbies as well need to be considered because without them, things get stagnet as well. need influx of players brings new ideas and new teams to try to take the lead on controlling things in the land of darkemud.

Plus I like to see a more hard core kinda things on the lib. I think the harder it is the funner it is, but with that fun comes pain. and when someone gets to the top it is even more of a thrill. I personally like the one death rule. in the since that if you can get resz'd in a few minutes your player dies perm. but with that death comes points that help you in the new creation process. kinda like family tree benifits. based on the level and or power of the player that died. those benifits could be used to help your next gen player with creation or special skills or family trates or talents.

but that is some other ideas and not sure if they will be worked on.

We all have great ideas, it is a matter of letting others know about them, and having people that see your ideas as good and are willing to help with coding and time is nice.

anyway sorry for the chaotic post. my mind thinks faster than I can type. need a brain recorder like the old time movie.

flame away

#771 - 12/14/07 11:24 AM Re: Pwipe Vote: Please vote on the options below [Re: Muod]
Xanthrax Offline
stranger

One thing I would like to see put back in is legends. That's just me though.
#778 - 12/14/07 11:40 AM Re: Pwipe Vote: Please vote on the options below [Re: Muod]
garin Offline
stranger

I'm still all for the pwipe. I don't level crazy fast, usually much the opposite. I have two HM characters right now. One took me almost two years to get. I'm cool with taking that long again. Because most of the time I'm only playing twenty minutes here and there.

I also agree that unless there are major changes made first, then there shouldn't be a pwipe. A lot of people seem much more attached to characters they have put a lot less time into... but hey, whatever works. I'm just excited to see some change.

#779 - 12/14/07 11:41 AM Re: Pwipe Vote: Please vote on the options below [Re: MacTORG]
Azarepth Offline
stranger

I don't like the idea of a pwipe. Pwipes are helpful when the following are true:

- Wholesale changes are about to be implemented, which dramatically change the way players gain power, wealth or equipment
- The changes have already been tested and balanced
- The period following the wipe will not contain additional sweeping changes

The list is a bit arbitrary, but I think it hits at least close to the mark. Recent discussions give me the feeling that we're entering a period of rapid change for Darke, rather than coming to the end of one. There will be adjustments to make and bugs to work out, and I think 'Should we pwipe?' is an issue we'll revisit several times as changes are implemented.

I actually think that the current pbase of low/mid/high level players is better suited to effective testing than one full of newbies with iron. A pwipe may well be necessary later on, but I don't think it's the best course of action now.

#788 - 12/14/07 11:59 AM Re: Pwipe Vote: Please vote on the options below [Re: Muod]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

I think two things:

*The crafter guild as was proposed (merging the enchanting and tinking professions into one guild cross-trainable by anyone) was an interesting and inventive idea (though, a bit similar to WOW-style professions...I like Darke being different) but it removes two guilds that I feel have tremendous identity and were almost emblematic of what made Darke different. Player-crafting would still be retained, but the idea of players dedicating themselves to making interesting things would be lost.

*If we don't do that form of crafter guild, a pwipe isn't necessary. A reset is needed if enchanters and tinkers disappear, but it isn't otherwise. People suicide and hiatus huge characters all the time. I and friends of mine have deleted some of the biggest. The game and player base turns over continuously, a pwipe isn't needed to combat stagnation.

I love the fact that we have active admin and wizards now. I like that they are thinking about changes and listening to the players. The above is just my view on the biggest issues facing the game.

#795 - 12/14/07 02:34 PM Re: Pwipe Vote: Please vote on the options below [Re: Minstrel]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
In all honesty, I've wanted a pwipe for over 2 years. I cided a level 60 char, I've cided close to HM chars. Give me a break. You either like playing the game or you don't. If you don't like playing the game, then maybe propose some changes that will make it so that you will find the game interesting and entertaining at all levels of play.

If you do have suggestions, make them now while people are actively changing things. This game shouldn't be designed so that you only have fun over level 30 overall or whatever your arguments are. Sure, you've invested time to make a big char. Who cares? It will still be fun to play after the pwipe.

The pwipe is needed. Especially the way things are now. And, I'm not saying this because I don't have access to anything and I think things are unfair. It's true what Kim says, some guilds are making insane exp and leveling insanely fast without buffers, and that's completely unfair for some guilds that are limited to under 1 mil exp in an hour.

#797 - 12/14/07 02:53 PM Re: Pwipe Vote: Please vote on the options below [Re: carmy]
Azarepth Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: carmy
The pwipe is needed. Especially the way things are now. And, I'm not saying this because I don't have access to anything and I think things are unfair. It's true what Kim says, some guilds are making insane exp and leveling insanely fast without buffers, and that's completely unfair for some guilds that are limited to under 1 mil exp in an hour.

In the long run, whatever imbalances exist now are going to get worked out as things get fixed up. If we pwipe now, chances are good that new changes will help -some guild- level quicker than others. If a pwipe is the solution now, will it be the solution then too?

Now don't get me wrong, I am not going to go cry in my beer if we wipe. I'm not all that high up, and I'll just start climbing the ladder again. I just don't see the point in leveling the playing field to fix injustices now, if we know that a system in flux is bound to create them all over again.

#805 - 12/14/07 04:49 PM Re: Pwipe Vote: Please vote on the options below [Re: Muod]
sabu Offline
journeyman

Loc: wisconsin
I say we should pwipe now. What is the chance if there is a major change. How much of a pain in the ass would a reincarn be. If a other guild is made in the future a reincarn would need to be given anyways. So lets just get it over with.
Page 2 of 6 <12345>Last »

Hop to:
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.011 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.