Who's Online
0 registered and 2 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1088 - 01/18/08 05:01 PM Re: carpentry [Re: Cerberus]
Muod Offline

Loc: MA/CA
they are static amounts, i like the idea of runes/enchantments adding % instead of static amount. based on weapon types or even minerals.
#1091 - 01/18/08 05:35 PM Re: carpentry [Re: Muod]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Well, I only meant that for a weapons "innates"... Fire, cutting and impaling for a mithril longsword for example. Adding something that's not innate should be static. Making weapon type affect ALL crit types added would just lead back to having a few optimal weapon types.
#1171 - 01/31/08 03:09 PM Re: carpentry [Re: Kim]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
Good point, and entirely true. I'm just musing aloud here, so take it with a grain of salt, but what if weapon making worked this way:

Materials
=========
The material you use adds some level of whatever the crit type innate to that material type is. It is modified by the weapon type you're making, such that javednite's "bone-breaking" crits are better on weapons that do "crushing" damage. Crit types that don't have clear affinities would add a static amount of damage. In this case it's the material you're making a weapon out of having an affinity for the type of damage the weapon you'll be making has an affinity for that matters.

Runes
=====
The runes that add effects (hit bonus, parry bonus) would add those effects based on weapon type, and ignore mineral. For instance, if a rapier has an innate parry bonus of 5, a parry rune on it will increase it by 5% more than if it is added to a knife with 0 innate parry bonus (keep in mind I made these numbers up) or a hammer with -10 innate parry bonus. In this case, as the mineral case above, the synergy between the weapon type and the rune effect is what matters.

Runes that add damage types would take into account the size of the weapon, not whether the weapon already had the damage type on it. For instance if you made a platnite two handed polearm and added an energy rune you'd get a better bonus than if you took a platnite shortsword and added an energy rune. In this case it's the size of the weapon that matters rather than the weapon itself (this would pave the way for storm-giants carrying giant-sized daggers, and sprites carrying halfling-sized spears)

Puissance
=========
I've gone back and forth on this one in terms of ideas. First I thought instead of adding a min and max range boost it could add just a max range boost. Then I thought the size of weapon should matter so smaller weapons got a larger boost and large weapons got a smaller boost. Then I thought the synergy of a weapon should matter so weapons with very streamlined damage types got a large boost and weapons all over the board got very little boost. Then I thought I'd just vomit up all these ideas and see if anyone wanted to sift through them.

Suffice to say, I don't have any idea I think is very good.

Accuracy
========
I think this should stay as a static bonus to any weapon. It's too good to marginalize toward anything but mediocrity, and it's not good enough to have a lot of leeway in marginalizing it in the first place. If anyone's got good ideas, I'm all ears.

True Weapon
===========
True weapon should bring out the best of a weapon rather than just making it hit harder. For instance, a true'd two handed staff should have a vastly different set of effects than a true'd scimitar. So maybe a true'd staff acts as a hit point battery for its wielder, taking the staff's stored hp before the wielder, and the scimitar can 'dance', calling a living weapon copy of itself.

Basically the idea here is to make different weapons markedly different when it comes to their build. I know that's already the case (truly skilled weapon crafters can change your experience gain by a factor of 10, I've found), so I don't know what I'd be trying to accomplish with all this.

Just some ideas I guess.

#1175 - 01/31/08 09:31 PM Re: carpentry [Re: Cerberus]
Ganelon
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Harold

Runes that add damage types would take into account the size of the weapon, not whether the weapon already had the damage type on it. For instance if you made a platnite two handed polearm and added an energy rune you'd get a better bonus than if you took a platnite shortsword and added an energy rune. In this case it's the size of the weapon that matters rather than the weapon itself.

I think it should depend on type of rune (damage). I.e. impale, crush, etc. damages should depend on size (and type) of weapon, but electricity, signing, etc. should not.

#1176 - 01/31/08 10:13 PM Re: carpentry [Re: ]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

"Runes that add damage types would take into account the size of the weapon, not whether the weapon already had the damage type on it. "

Why size...? it makes no sense. Are you thinking a Barbarian's club with Nica bonnes should get more cutting than a knife if Nica bonnes is added?

Weird.

#1178 - 01/31/08 10:54 PM Re: carpentry [Re: Kim]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
Yes, I am. The logic is that a larger available surface on which to inscribe a rune allows for more elaborate runes, which translate into more effective runes in my mind.

Flawed logic? Not good for balance? Just different?

#1180 - 01/31/08 11:27 PM Re: carpentry [Re: Cerberus]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Well, not good for balance maybe. Unless smaller weapons automatically then made for better to hit/parry.

Unless you want a situation where everybody just goes for the biggest weapon possible.

And a 2 handed club doing better impaling than a rapier if both have nica bonnes does sound silly to me. Maybe make so runes see what innate crit types a weapon nhave (not counting materil) and then.. add a lot more if innate. A club getting a lot more crushing than a rapier from malsa xen, and reverse for nica bonnes.

#1181 - 02/01/08 02:58 AM Re: carpentry [Re: Kim]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
I always saw runes as a very equal thing. A rune adds x amount of damage regardless of what it's on. It's a magical kind of thing, that when added to a weapon, gives it an effect depending on the skill of the tinker.

Another way to see it, should armour that is bigger offer more protection when they get armour runes added? Should armour with higher innate AC offer more AC when it's runed? (Maybe it already does, I don't know).

The whole thing seems a little silly to me.

#1182 - 02/01/08 06:12 AM Re: carpentry [Re: Kim]
Ganelon
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Kim
Well, not good for balance maybe. Unless smaller weapons automatically then made for better to hit/parry.

Agree with hit, disagree with parry. Parrying two-handed war hammer with a knife is somewhat silly.

Originally Posted By: Kim

Unless you want a situation where everybody just goes for the biggest weapon possible.

And a 2 handed club doing better impaling than a rapier if both have nica bonnes does sound silly to me. Maybe make so runes see what innate crit types a weapon nhave (not counting materil) and then.. add a lot more if innate. A club getting a lot more crushing than a rapier from malsa xen, and reverse for nica bonnes.

Funny thing that in late medival time swords (long swords, bastards, etc) were mostly used as crushing weapons rather than slashing/imapling.

#1183 - 02/01/08 12:47 PM Re: carpentry [Re: ]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
Right now the way I understand it almost every weapon is the same. A blank 2h club might have a bit more than a blank knife of the same mineral but once they are chanted it makes no difference at all.

Should being hit with a flaming sword be the same as being hit by a flaming knife? I don't think so, I think the flaming sword would hurt quite a bit more as there is more flame. In that sense I think Harold has a point with the size of a weapon mattering.

I think it would be interesting actually it weapon size and starting crits (including minerals) did make a significant difference in how well the weapon works.

Maybe the mineral can amplify any chants. i.e. a ray weapon already has singing on it, so when you cast a banshee on it you get an extra 20% (just tossing a number out there). Likewise a knife with cutting rune would get an extra 20% cutting WC from nicca bonnes/bleeding blade.

The type of weapon could also affect the liklihood to hit (say +5% for a knife, but -15% for a 2h polearm) and also give different parry bonuses and penalties as well.

This can get very complicated or be very simple.

A much more extreme solution would be to add another level of weapon above unsurpassed. Perhaps it would take much more ingots and time (say 10 ingots and 5 hours to forge with a chance of destroying the ingots) and that type of weapon would fully utilize the mineral type by giving a weak TW to the type of crit of the mineral and -TW to all other types. This could also start with 50% wield (again just numbers from my ass) instead of 0% for a blank weapon.

Just to add some more variety. Or we could have difficult quests to obtain special materials that would allow for this special forging.

Edit: Perhaps solve a puzzle or defeat some guardian in a multi-person quest like we discussed in another thread to obtain some special rock that hardens the minerals extra hard. I'd propose a limit to how often a particular individual could get of this (so that people don't have storehouses of it) and perhaps even make it require a special location to create the blank or forge it.

Edited by Charon (02/01/08 12:53 PM)

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Hop to:
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.