Who's Online
0 registered and 13 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#312 - 12/04/07 12:46 PM New Newbie Guide *****
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
Over the next few days I'm going to start working on the new newbie guide.

What I'm going to do is read over the Old Newbie Page and probably keep much of the structure and some of the content. A lot of it, however, no longer applies since it was written 11 years ago. That info will be updated with relevant info.

Also there are probably some tips and tricks that newbies need to know that aren’t mentioned at all (the hiatus system for example).

I'm looking for ideas of things that are NOT included in the existing newbie guide that people feel should be.

I've volunteered Luna and Muod to help me with the content editing so it will be a collaborative effort!

I haven't reviewed the entire old file yet but some things that should be in place are a clear explaination of the spell system (5% of casting skill per spell level) and basic combat skills training suggestions.

Also a very basic explaination of the new xp systems.

#814 - 12/15/07 02:38 AM Re: New Newbie Guide [Re: Charon]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
Charon has other things happening now, so I doubt he'll be making any headway on this.

Instead, I hope anyone who comes across important newbie information, tips & tricks, or anything that a new player might need or want to know will post it here. I'll start off with some pertinent information:

After your password is mailed to you, you will log in at "The Crossroads".
To the east through the shadowed doorway is the city of Kuril where the Nightblade, Chaotic-Lord, and Necromancer guilds reside.
To the north through the purple stone doorway is the city of Akkad where the Tinker, Enchanter, Elementalist, Arch-Mage, Thief, and Cleric-of-Risla guilds are housed.
To the west through the misty blue doorway is the city of Vo'Sangor where the Sword-Mage, Fighter, and War-Priest guilds are.

The Paladin guild is just to the west of the city of Vo'Sangor, while the Monk guild is midway between Akkad and Vo'Sangor in the mountains south of the road between the cities.

#820 - 12/15/07 05:41 AM Re: New Newbie Guide [Re: Cerberus]
Shadowraith Administrator Offline

I believe he still working on it, but I will check.
#825 - 12/15/07 07:02 AM Re: New Newbie Guide [Re: Shadowraith]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
I actually completed a first revision of the old one.

I asked a couple of people to look over it... *cough* but haven't heard back yet.

#826 - 12/15/07 07:12 AM Re: New Newbie Guide [Re: Charon]
Siani Offline
stranger

Loc: Hell
*cough* You never mailed it to me, Punk! You'd think the eternal newbie would be first on the mailing list!

#827 - 12/15/07 07:13 AM Re: New Newbie Guide [Re: Siani]
sabu Offline
journeyman

Loc: wisconsin
I would be more than happy to read it.
#830 - 12/15/07 08:30 AM Re: New Newbie Guide [Re: Charon]
Muod Offline

Loc: MA/CA
email it, i'll do a corrected version with highlighted adds/revisions.
#1033 - 01/14/08 04:03 PM Re: New Newbie Guide [Re: Muod]
addict

I'd like to see a rough draft posted in this topic - it would open it up to general peer review rather than select, since select peer review has resulted in nothing for a month (or, if you count vactions/breaks, two weeks)

I'm also very interested in having anyone who has or would like to write anything on the gods of Darkemud send me their thoughts, ideas, roleplay logs, or collection of in-game fact. If you've ever even wondered anything about a god I would be more than happy to take those questions as well. Please PM me on the boards, or catch me in-game:
  • Darkemud Live - tell harold <regarding god information>
  • Darkemud Test - tell cerberus@darkemudtest <regarding god information>

#1035 - 01/14/08 06:53 PM Re: New Newbie Guide [Re: Cerberus]
addict

Opinions on these as newbie guide hints:

Waiting twenty minutes between castings of the same spells will maximize the amount of magic experience gained. The “spells time” command will help you keep track!

Finding yourself in the vastness of the Shadowlands can be difficult. Using the “view” skill learned beneath Justice Tower in Akkad in tandem with the world map found at http://www.darkemud.com/www/map can help you find your way if lost!

The skill “navigate” can be learned under Justice Tower in Akkad. It will tell you the coordinates of where you are when you use it on the world map, which can be useful if you know the coordinates of your destination, but not the route!

The coordinates given by the “navigate” skill can be used to guide you when lost. Each world map square traveled in the east direction is +1e, and each in the south is +1s!

The coordinates of commonly found areas can be found in “help areas”. In conjunction with the “navigate” skill or a compass, you can find anything on the world map!

Castles and Mines on the world map generally belong to players who will vigorously guard them. It is unwise to enter the property of those whom you don’t know, though property near major cities will occasionally have a sanctuary for weary travelers.

Water is one of the many hazards found in the Shadowlands, but you won’t be able to enter it until you turn “crosswater on”. Make sure to “learn swimming”!

In order to survive even a shallow swim, you’ll need to “learn swimming” beneath Justice Tower in Akkad. Even with 100% swimming you may still drown in poor conditions!

The “brief” command will hide a room’s long description. This can be useful while speed walking, or if you’re very familiar with an area.

Eating and drinking are important for survival. Without food and water regeneration halts and you may even die, so make sure to keep well fed!

You can “learn divining” beneath Justice Tower in Akkad, which will allow you to find drinkable water on the world map. Since most cities have at least one fresh water drinking fountain, divining is most useful if you happen to get lost.

You can “learn foraging” beneath Justice Tower in Akkad, which will allow you to find edible food on the world map. Since most cities have at least one restaurant or shopkeeper that sells food, forage is most useful if you are lost or wish to minimize your sustenance costs.

Slim, in the General Store 1w2s of Justice Tower in Akkad, will sell you packs of rations at some price. Shopkeepers like Slim will help you along if you “say <shopkeeper>, help”, where <shopkeeper> is replaced by the shopkeeper’s proper name; in our case, “slim”.

It is important that you get your weapons repaired as soon as they warn you that they are near degrading. Okef the Blacksmith can be found at the Greater Forge in the tinker guild (4e1n1w1u1w from Justice Tower in Akkad), where you can find out more about repairing weapons with “say okef, help”.

A single weapon skill is difficult enough to master for anyone. It is true folly to train more than one, since the greater your skill the better the weapons you can wield!

#1036 - 01/14/08 07:22 PM Re: New Newbie Guide [Re: Cerberus]
Shadowraith Administrator Offline

Good list Harold, great set
Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.