Who's Online
0 registered and 13 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78 - 11/21/07 10:35 AM Castle Raiding
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
Darke has gone soft. Let me tell you a story.

A group of people go castle raiding, 4 of them and find people inside the castle whom they kill but the raid is thwarted.

Said people then try to loot another castle owned by the same group. That group has a couple members unhiatus and kills the castle looters as a deterrant to not come back.

The would-be looters then whine and cry and say they are quitting the mud.

People.. if you have the nerve to jump into people's castles uninvited, you have to be prepared to suck up a death or two. That's how life on darke works.

What did this group expect? "Haha! We caught you.. here's our stuff.. good one!" Much like in real life actions have consequences and if you arne't prepared to face possible consequences don't do the action.

#80 - 11/21/07 11:14 AM Re: Castle Raiding [Re: Charon]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
You shouldn't t try to loot until you know you can handle the consequences \:\)

(The consequence being me or Luna being upset with you \:\) )

#81 - 11/21/07 01:39 PM Re: Castle Raiding [Re: Charon]
Muod Offline

Loc: MA/CA
I have to agree, in the old days people had more backbone, sucked it up, hell now you dont even loose your armour if you get killed, so you can still play you just have a dc which only takes a few hours to go away.

when i first joined darke i was killed non-stop for weeks by some AM who didn't like my name, then i remade only to be hunted again for seperate reasons, now people automatically assume they are safe and shouldn't be touched.

#82 - 11/21/07 02:28 PM Re: Castle Raiding [Re: Muod]
sabu Offline
journeyman

Loc: wisconsin
I find it funny at the fact that there was that many people on at the same time, but shrugs. But as it has been said, you got what you had comeing and if you cannot take the consequesnces have fun playing a some place else.
#83 - 11/22/07 11:33 AM Re: Castle Raiding [Re: sabu]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
Yeah, a whole two in the castle.

Oh well. I remember the old days when thieves and nightblades hid their guild for as long as possible to avoid getting killed off.

When you looted somebody's castle you fully expected your castle to be empty and aggro runed the next time you logged on so you hoped that nobody knew who it was!

But now it's almost no consequence since you can log off with all of your equipment (instead of dropping it all on logoff), you can't be looted when killed and you can't aggro rune a castle. I think the pussification, for lack fo a better word, has gone a little too far.

#84 - 11/22/07 04:26 PM Re: Castle Raiding [Re: Charon]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
Especially since it isn't appealing to new players in the least. If it was a matter of the game being too hard that was stopping people from playing, we'd have a larger pbase by now.
#85 - 11/22/07 06:32 PM Re: Castle Raiding [Re: Charon]
Muod Offline

Loc: MA/CA
I agree
#99 - 11/28/07 11:32 PM Re: Castle Raiding [Re: Muod]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
Waxing nostalgic for times gone by aside, what should we be doing? I played extensively in the "good ol' days", participating in castle raids; taking over enemy castles; murderous streaks and the like (with the former two being much less likely for me than the latter... but that's neither here nor there), and what I remember of it is that once equipment was made to work people began complaining of the mud's wussification.

Since that time it's been going down hill. I haven't been particularly outspoken against any of it because I'm getting old and soft, but there is something to be said for a mud which has danger as a side effect of living. So what are our outs in this situation? Putting things "back the way they used to be" is going backward, and while it's the knee-jerk response, it's not at all useful to the growth of the mud as a whole.

I propose we take these things as given:
1) Eq loss is the most painful thing a character experiences
b) As risk goes up, so too should reward

So, to return to the original topic, castle looting has a high risk (mostly from being caught and hunted down eternally) with low reward (notably that the target won't lose their primary eq, nor will they log on to find themselves in the unenviable position of fighting a room full of pets they don't own on a rune that hates them without any chance of survival). I personally believe the risk is right - there should be a substantial difficulty associated with entering another's well defended domain - but that the reward should be increased.

Just as an initial thought, could we modify save on body to the old "protect" style (note: style, not functionality!) For those of us who aren't old enough to remember the protect command, you could save a number of items on your body as your entire inventory does currently (I believe the number was four) and log on with them as we are used to. While this would drastically increase the potential reward, with items like backpacks to keep the rest of essential gear hidden, it wouldn't hobble players who don't have easily accessable save rooms too terribly. Also, it would provide for another route to harm a player logging into what they thought was a safe area - namely, they'd have to spend at least one round to unpackage and equip their gear.

In the same vein, the fact that characters regularly carry unlimited amounts of money on their persons is pretty rediculous. If characters were limited to carrying 5,000 coins in their pockets, and required to carry strong boxes or safes, or other as-of-now-obsolete items to pay for big ticket items, there would be the opportunity to rob those same items of money.

I'd like to hear everyone else's feelings on these thoughts. It would be more useful if we avoided the tales of times gone by and focused on theories dealing with what the real "problem" is, and potential solutions... Or at least change for the sake of change.

#101 - 11/29/07 12:43 AM Re: Castle Raiding [Re: Cerberus]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
I think if players are only allowed to carry a certain amount of coins, maybe make a pouch in the backpack for coins, and increase the amount that banks can hold, but they charge a fee over time for their use. Let's say 5% per month or something.

And, save on body isn't bad, I think the no-loot thing that's been in for like 7 months now needs to go. I never walked around with laen armour when I was level 6/6, that was just absurd. Now, people feel safe botting in laen armour. Jesus Christ.

I don't see anything wrong with castle raiding. If there was a decent pbase, people would have shit, and they'd have shit worth looting. So, looting a castle has, as a reward, keeping the crap that people had. When my castle was looted, I had like 1.5 million mcgrail stolen from me. If that wasn't a good reward, I don't know what was...

#105 - 11/29/07 11:16 AM Re: Castle Raiding [Re: carmy]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I don't mind save on body. I quite mind save on ghost. Especially with castle looting...For example, you catch some people in your treasury... they do #20 get bag... Now, they have the 20 bags that were on the floor.... And you can kill them silly, and they will STILL have your bags.

Without save on ghost, there would be a greater need for spare armour and weapons, since you run a real risk of losing what you wear, and so castles might be used more... Not to mention a greater demand for tinkers and enchanters (player interaction...).

Oh, and coins on your person is limited.. the limit is a bit high though... 5,000 would be a bit low, you would have to run to your safe several times per hour...

Page 1 of 3 123>

Hop to:
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.012 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.