Who's Online
0 registered and 10 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#868 - 12/15/07 03:51 PM Proposal for PK Tourney
Din Administrator Offline
stranger

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Hi guys. I was doin some thinking and it seems the muds pbase has been picking up again a little in recent times. In response to that, im pondering holding another pk tourney like the one i held back in 2005. This one will be formatted much differently than the previous one and the rules will be set up so that no one single guild has an insurmountable advantage (in the last tourney the delay rules and 1 room rules made it a virtual lock for AMs to dominate).

In order to run this, i will need 16 players to participate (15 realistically, since i will also be in it with my char). If you want to be in it, post a reply to this post saying that youre in so i can keep track easier. The tourney will be set up as follows:

First Series: Round Robins
==========================

All 16 players will be broken up into 2 brackets of 8 players each and the brackets will be set up in a balanced way based on the strengths of the participants. For easier reference, i will name them the 'Akkad Bracket' and the 'Kuril Bracket'. In this series, everyone will fight everyone in their bracket once for a total of 7 battles. This will take place over the course of a full week with 1 round occuring each day (each round would consist of running 8 total battles, with 4 battles occuring in each bracket). At the end of this round, win-loss records will be tabulated and the top three finishers in each bracket will advance to the playoffs.

Second Series: Wild Card Round Robins
=====================================

Seeing that there is a possibility some players might be in brackets that are too stacked or have players in them that their guild is not designed well enough to fight against, i will be allowing those who do not make the top three after the first round robin a chance to make the playoffs as a wild card. The five players who did not qualify for the playoffs in each bracket will face off against the five players of the opposing bracket in a round robin that will progress for five days during the second week of the tournament, with 1 round occuring each day (5 battles per round). At the conclusion of this series, the player with the highest win-loss score against the opposing bracket in each bracket will make the playoffs. If two players have the same score, the tiebreaker will be their head-to-head result from the first round robin.

Third Series: Playoffs
======================

Once all the playoff spots are decided, there will be 8 players remaining in the tournament. The playoffs will consist of four rounds total, and the round each player finishes in will determine their prize (all players who make the playoffs will get some sort of prize, only the 8 who do not make it will not receive anything, the prizes themselves will be determined at a later date).

First round byes will be given to the players who finish second in the first round robin in each bracket, and first and second round byes will go to the winners of each bracket. This is done to prevent 'chopped liver fights' in the early rounds and to help everyone finish where their strengths should let them. All playoff matchups will be set up so that each player will face someone from the opposite bracket if possible, if not possible a rematch may occur against two players from the same initial bracket to proceed. The playoffs will be single elimination, but each match will consist of a a best-of-three miniseries, meaning each player must defeat the other player twice to advance (this is to help keep 'lucky shots' from ruining someones tourney hopes). Unlike the previous rounds, the playoffs will all take place on one day (likely a weekend, will be determined later). The playoffs therefore will be structured like this:

First Round:
Akkad Bracket Wild Card vs Kuril Bracket 3rd Place
Kuril Bracket Wild Card vs Akkad Bracket 3rd Place

Second Round:
First Round Winner vs Akkad Bracket 2nd Place
First Round Winner vs Kuril Bracket 2nd Place

Third Round:
Second Round Winner vs Akkad Bracket Champion
Second Round Winner vs Kuril Bracket Champion

Championship:
Third Round Winner vs Third Round Winner

Give me some feedback, ideas, etc. on the idea, im hopin enough people sign up and we can have a tourney for the mud to always remember.

#871 - 12/15/07 08:12 PM Re: Proposal for PK Tourney [Re: Din]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
I think it would be neat if we went by level maybe. Like, chars 25-35 overall, chars 35-45 overall and HMs or something.

I'd like to be in the tourney, but there's no point because I won't win against any HMs

#872 - 12/15/07 09:05 PM Re: Proposal for PK Tourney [Re: carmy]
Ganelon
Unregistered

This sounds like fun
#877 - 12/16/07 12:00 AM Re: Proposal for PK Tourney [Re: ]
Jason Offline
stranger

Count me in
#907 - 12/18/07 07:18 AM Re: Proposal for PK Tourney [Re: Jason]
sabu Offline
journeyman

Loc: wisconsin
I would like to see this, I won't participate because I will simply get my ass kicked. To see 16 people on participating would be nice to see though.
#910 - 12/18/07 09:10 AM Re: Proposal for PK Tourney [Re: sabu]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
It could be done in the arena much quicker since no DC. Also I guess it would be possible to put in group fights ;\)

Just giving ideas!

#915 - 12/18/07 12:27 PM Re: Proposal for PK Tourney [Re: Charon]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Charon
Also I guess it would be possible to put in group fights ;\)

Luna and Miki versus...whomever? \:\)

#917 - 12/18/07 12:29 PM Re: Proposal for PK Tourney [Re: Minstrel]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Miki and Luna versus the mud? \:\)

(I'd never ever fight Luna.)

#919 - 12/18/07 12:44 PM Re: Proposal for PK Tourney [Re: Kim]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
That wouldn't go well if there was a couple nbs. Get a couple area poison/bleedings then just run around like crazy!

#920 - 12/18/07 12:47 PM Re: Proposal for PK Tourney [Re: Charon]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Charon
That wouldn't go well if there was a couple nbs. Get a couple area poison/bleedings then just run around like crazy!

Can't cast area spells when stunned.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression disabled.