Who's Online
0 registered and 4 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1847 - 04/18/08 04:00 PM Re: Crafted Items Auction House [Re: Shadowraith]
Rancid Offline

The idea of an auction house sounds super cool. I like the idea of the items being in a castle and the mob going to said castle and retrieving the item. This allows the item to be susceptible to theft yet still allows the idea of auctioning items as long as one wants. That is the whole reason to having the shopkeeper capable of going to the castle. I think it would be prudent to have this auctioneer un-able to get a scry on. That way people wouldst try to teleport to the auctioneer after one purchases an item and allowing that person to loot the auctioning person's castle/inn/treasury.
#1848 - 04/18/08 07:26 PM Re: Crafted Items Auction House [Re: Rancid]
Ganelon
Unregistered

Would not it make looting too easy? One bids and the other one waits outside and kills the mob bringing items?
#1852 - 04/20/08 08:12 PM Re: Crafted Items Auction House [Re: ]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, ON
Making the items stealable during auctionbrings up many problems.

1. Nobody will ever auction anything. Ever. Easier to spam bid and keep it in a random inn room.

2. Programming a mob to move around, get into any castle, avoid runes and pets, be scryproof, be able to pick up a specific item, realistically not be followable or scryable or killabe would make it by far the most complex mob ever written to do the same job that a saveroom can do.

I'm not sure why everybody is making a big deal over an item not being lootable for a few days while being sold. I'll give a few examples of things that are at least temporarily unlootable/killable.

1. Items on a person while they are logged out. When this started people claimed if was the end. Everybody would lift their entire castles as they logged out and be unlootable.

2. Pets in an undead dimension.

3. Money in the bank.

If we make a lootable auctionhouse it would have the same effect as having everybody save room having a locked door to TS. Even if said door took a thief 4 hours to pick you can bet at least a few people would be logging in naked and nobody would use that features. Likewise if the bank was lootable why would anybody use it?

The bank charges a fee for security, the auctionhouse or store could do the same.

#1853 - 04/21/08 12:03 AM Re: Crafted Items Auction House [Re: Charon]
Kim Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Europe
"1. Items on a person while they are logged out. When this started people claimed if was the end. Everybody would lift their entire castles as they logged out and be unlootable."

Well, back then, everything on you saved, including bags. Dendlai and Silk carried half a dozen sets of armour or so on them mot of the time. So not quite the situation we have now.

#1858 - 04/23/08 09:24 PM Re: Crafted Items Auction House [Re: Shadowraith]
Madoc Offline

I wasnt thinking the shoppie retrive the item thats what magical little teleporting imps are for.

Chest has to be in a saveroom, shopkeeper sells whatevers in chest, money goes to chest.

Shoppie can be in a city while the chest is in a castle, or shoppie and chest can be in the same castle, or completly different castles. Or an inn room in a back ally in kuril for all I care, just has to be a save room \:\)

People won't use it if its lootable - I disagree, people might not post huge inventories of stuff at a time, so as not to become a target. But I think it would be used, yes/no?

#1861 - 04/24/08 05:13 PM Re: Crafted Items Auction House [Re: Madoc]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

If the chest was in a castle it probably would be used, I agree. It is just as safe as if in a castle.

If it was for example though past 1 locked door in akkad where anybody can can say kill a level 40 guard and pick a door can just empty it out.. nobody will use it.

#1863 - 04/24/08 05:22 PM Re: Crafted Items Auction House [Re: Charon]
carmy Offline

Loc: South Korea
If the location of the chest in unknown, I think you'd actually have to stumble upon it to loot it. It could be in an inn room, mine or castle. Odds are, there is much more effort into breaking into these things to find it than the payoff would be, at least in my opinion.
#1864 - 04/24/08 05:36 PM Re: Crafted Items Auction House [Re: carmy]
Charon Offline
enthusiast

Exactly. My main objection would be if it was set up like the current shops are.

Room A -> Room B

Room A is where the shopkeeper stands, and room B is where the loot is. If the loot is always in Room B, there is no searching around. Once someboody can get into Room B they pretty much can just repeatedly loot the same room over and over again to rob the store.

If the chest can be placed anywhere, say in the seller's castle or mine or inn room. I have no objections to it being lootable. Perhaps I should have been more specific.

"I have an objection to the contents of a store/auction being in a stationary location known by all that is not movable and is also lootable by a semi-skilled player".

Page 3 of 3 <123

Hop to:
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.