Personally I feel that adding more and more numbers to the game remove the illusion that the game is trying to create. As for the numbers part, you can easily put your exp in your status to see how much you get for a spell with a little math.

Also by seeing the numbers, you get people like me who figure out formulas which definitely ruins a bit of the illusion when you can figure out what spell at what level/power will give what exp then compare it to what the cost of the spell is to optimize training to make sure you get the most exp per dev. (yes I have done this)

As for it being more or less newbie friendly I don't know. I can definately understand why a newbie would like to see the numbers for a better understanding of what works and what doesnt but at the same time what works and what doesn't should be more evident from effect then anything else. If i hit something hard I should get more exp because I'm hitting hard, not because I see the numbers.

Also with exp in prompt it's very easy to write a zmud script to have it pull how much exp you get for anything. I could of written one in the time I took to make this post.