The lack of value of mcgrail is indeed a problem (as I originally stated). However, it is also easy for a tinker to make things. If a tinker is charging you 1 million mcgrail for a suit, it sounds like he either doesn't like you, or simply has no real need for mcgrail (again, the lack of value of mcgrail should be addressed... but is perhaps beyond the scope of this thread).

I am convinced that if you put enough effort into networking and making friends you can find a way to get the equipment you need, perhaps without even having to pay anything. I know of quite a few players who are on a lot who either can make, or have access to equipment. The requirement for social interaction and teamwork is one of the reasons to play multiplayer games and should be encouraged rather than sidelined.

I don't know of any games where you have access to the best equipment from the get-go. You either have to find or trade for upgrades as you progress. What fun would a game be if you simply had a free ticket for everything? I have played as a low leveled character with nothing but iron and things like dwarven chain. It's difficult, but viable. As it should be as a new character just starting out. Most new players I have spoken with are more concerned with figuring out the game vice power-leveling and the pace is appropriate for them. So your concern for new players quitting over not having access to the best gear is unfounded, imho. Indeed, it typically serves as something to encourage them to play more - something to strive towards.

The current Hiatus system is meant to add spice to an experienced player's gaming by allowing them to play something different for a while. Granted, it is occasionally used for ulterior purposes, but per the rules you're not supposed to share things between your characters. Allowing rapid changing between a large variety of characters would be far more prone to use for alts for crafting/creating purposes which would heighten the associated problems.

btw, I really doubt that you're convincing anyone that I have "no grasp of this game." Try to be a little more constructive, instead of resorting to insult-flinging.