The honest truth here is that if the game isn't made easier to start on, nobody's gonna start on it. I was a semi-active weapon tinker and cided when I was looted. I don't want to spend all that time getting shit back, shit that took me 3 months to get.

Depending on the guild you choose (Which, I think you should have the option of playing anything you want and it being a viable choice) you aren't really able to do combat to earn mcgrail. Once you get the mcgrail, it's true, people aren't going to do you any favors. The ones who are in a position to do you favors are complete fucking assholes. Go figure.

I also realize that there are a hell of a lot of tinkers on the MUD right now, but it's still difficult to get them to make stuff for you when they're not particularly 'active'.

As it is, this MUD requires a hell of a lot of work for very little reward. On a MUD where there are rarely social interactions at all, and it's about individual gain, there isn't anything to gain, and what you can gain, is at this point, close to impossible to gain.

I really think that making NPCs that can do chants, or crafting if provided the materials is a great answer to the problem.

If each new player were provided with free iron equipment and a basic weapon they could use to gain some mcgrail and 'equip' themselves from these NPCs, then they'd be on their way to at least earning what they need to compete in the economy as it is now.

I also feel this option gives each guild an equal opportunity to earn mcgrail at the start. I don't see any drawbacks to having shitty NPC crafters and enchanters. It won't detract from player interactions because if you want decent equipment, only players will be able to provide it.

Player run shops would be great too, so that when you play in South Korea, you don't need to wait for someone in America to log on to buy certain goods. A 13 hour difference is the difference between playing alone and playing with other people.