I have been muding too long. Darke was my first mud. I started in 1995. Back in the day they were the absolute bomb for online MMO games. To be honest you could probably consider my introduction to muding was bulletin board (BBS)games; which, I started playing in 1981. Since those times I remember new MMO styled games coming out. Doom, Half life, starcarft, Everquest, World of War carft, etc. etc. etc ad naseum.

The options for online gaming are infinite. Honestly, for MOST people; to be encouraged to invest time in mudding, there MUST be more offered from muding than other games. One advantage is that most popular MMOS cost money to play which muds do not. With the exception of Atlantica, which one could argue takes money to play, most of these games cost monthly fees and lots of time.

Any way you sum it up. With a text based game we must offer more from muding than graphical games. More and more people will not take the time to play muds if they do not offer MORE. I am behind any idea that offers encouragement to play; E.G., more minerals, faster and cheaper equipment, pets, minerals, castles and gear. Even faster levels. The only stupid idea I could imagine is allowing people to run around with multiple characters triggered together.

Any additional thoughts?

-Rancid.