Regarding the perceived problem with potential xp gain differential between guilds:

This is an issue that has been in existence ever since the CMS system was put in, some people have raised hell about it (myself included), and the existing mud admin chose to leave it as it was. That said, i doubt the issue is as big as some people have painted it to be. The only major imbalance that i recall offhand is the potential gain of players in the thief guild in the S category, and that imbalance has been corrected (?) from what i understand.

Other than that one, perhaps people who cite this differential as a reason should be specific, rather than merely saying that such a problem exists.

Overall, i think some effort does need to be put in to balancing potential xp gain amongst guilds, but that is a separate, longstanding issue, which is *not related* (read that again) to the changes which have been proposed of late.

Personally, i was happy to see the xp buffers go, even though my main character derived zero benefit from the removal (was already beyond their affect, being of high level already).