Rancid
(newbie)
04/09/08 07:06 PM
Crit Tables

I remember reading the mineral list in 96' and being excited about the different mineral types that would be released "in time" as it says on the list. I was thinking that it would be 3 or 4 months. I realized after 2 years that it wasn't likely to happen any time soon. Now that it is 12 years later you guys can see it has been a long time coming.

At that time the best mineral type going was eog. To the best of my knowledge it used the aether crit table even though the mineral list says the WC bonus was "nulification". I am not even sure what crit table that is from.

Personally, I understand that the aether crit table was broken and needed to be removed; however, aether had the most fun and exciting looking crits I have seen to date.

Any way. I would love to see aether revamped so that it could be put back in. This would take some work, but it would certainly add to the combat system which is IMO the best looking combat system of any mud lib I have ever played. Even the old FATALITY crit that would send a person to hell and cause all their gear to be lost could be changed slightly and still be awesome looking.

It would also be awesome to see the mineral types Eonmite(Time) and Neorolite (Limb Severer) added in to the mine system and the crit tables/types added in to the combat system. This was obviously done with the singing crit table. Has anyone else wanted to see these added back in and aether returned with fixes?

Just a few thoughts.

Rancid.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
04/09/08 07:47 PM
Re: Crit Tables

Toned down aether would be fun (having all your equipment scattered around the mud or the whole inventory melted is a bit too much). I did not quite like the crits that caused total destruction of your corpse/inventory, without giving any chance to get it back. I suppose sending to hell could be substituted with sending to warp (so that your corpse/gear is retrievable, albeit with some effort). Sending to another dimension could be changed similarly.

Time crits could be fun with recipient (or its particular body part) going back and forth in time from newborn to the old-aged person with appropriate hp/mp/stat adjustment along the way (not necessarily bad btw, if you end up in mid 20ies you should get a boost I'd say).

I am not sure how popular limb severer will be in today's world - you can forget about combat xp with it.

Rancid
(newbie)
04/09/08 08:05 PM

Certainly the limb sever crit table should be revamped and experience augmented appropriately. Blade spells could be added appropriately to certain guilds or the sever table could be added to existing blade spells for the appropriate guild i.e. the nightblade spell biting blade is the first to come to mind. Or new blade spell for sword mages.

Time would seem more appropriate for elementalists, sword mage or enchanter. Or could also be added to existing blade spells.

The aether lore would probably be best suited back in elemementalist hands. The crit that sent one to hell could theoretically be just as was before with the exception the holy body would be sent to hell living to be tormented to death by nasty demons, liches and dragons. Then one could be auto-resurected back to a church with of course a hefty DC or just carried back to a church by the deity they are most closely affiliated with.

Minstrel
(journeyman)
04/09/08 11:32 PM

The crit sending a character to "Hell" was so well themed to Darke.

Clerics should get a "Blessings of Christ" spell, too, while we're at it.

Minstrel
(journeyman)
04/09/08 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Rancid
Certainly the limb sever crit table should be revamped and experience augmented appropriately. Blade spells could be added appropriately to certain guilds or the sever table could be added to existing blade spells for the appropriate guild i.e. the nightblade spell biting blade is the first to come to mind. Or new blade spell for sword mages.

A new blade spell for sword-mages for severing? You mean like Bleeding Blade?

I don't mind more variety for Darke. A limb-severing crit table is rather redundant with cutting. The new crit tables could be called "aether" and "time," but they'd have to be 100% different, since those lores were insanely overpowered and most of the effects were quite stupid, conceptually.

Charon
(enthusiast)
04/10/08 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Minstrel

Apparently you never saw a pally using communion!

CerberusAdministrator
(addict)
04/10/08 07:49 AM

This could just as easily be sent to the outer realms (Marghuul's or Risla's plane) or the Void (already a room, but a boring unthemed one)

Rancid
(newbie)
04/10/08 08:10 AM

God your such a drama queen/king. A simple rename of Hell would suffice for the fix. But the FATALITY was kinda cool. Always made me grin when I saw it.

Rancid
(newbie)
04/10/08 08:20 AM

A new blade spell for sword-mages for severing? You mean like Bleeding Blade

I don't mind more variety for Darke. A limb-severing crit table is rather redundant with cutting. The new crit tables could be called "aether" and "time," but they'd have to be 100% different, since those lores were insanely overpowered and most of the effects were quite stupid, conceptually.

Bleeding blade to the best of my knowledge has no severing crits in the table. I maybe totally incorrect and would like to know but the bleeding system was put in place about 5 years after the mud was created which is when the original severing crits were created.

The aether table could be simply toned down but many of the crits themselves could maintain their forum since they looked really neat. It's not that difficult to conceptualize. I wish I had the skill I would spend the time to do it they were really neat.

Something else I would like to see is some of the innate colors that could appear in combat. Similiar to the Harah Lit flashing aether had colors in the combat that really looked neat. I would love to see the SQUISH in the singing crit table colored. It stands out for a IK. Simple concept that makes combat a lot more fun and takes very little time to add the color in.

Just ideas to make Darke Mud stand out as unique and special as it is so more people who come by and see it will enjoy and bring their friends.

Kim
(enthusiast)
04/10/08 01:43 PM

"Bleeding blade to the best of my knowledge has no severing crits in the table. I maybe totally incorrect and would like to know but the bleeding system was put in place about 5 years after the mud was created which is when the original severing crits were created."

Bleeding blade does cutting (and impaling I think). What.. would you say cutting is? Having a specific limb severing crit table is what seems rather redundant (And it'd be rather hyper. Every crit would sever at least one limb.)

"Something else I would like to see is some of the innate colors that could appear in combat. Similiar to the Harah Lit flashing aether had colors in the combat that really looked neat. I would love to see the SQUISH in the singing crit table colored. It stands out for a IK. Simple concept that makes combat a lot more fun and takes very little time to add the color in."

Simple thing to do that'd completely ruin Darke's quite clean look and turn it into an abstract impressionist disaster. Please no...

Charon
(enthusiast)
04/10/08 01:46 PM

I don't have an issue with certain crits being in color but I think it would have to be very reserved.

For example, severs the "Your arm is severed" I believe is in color, or was at some point. That would be ok to have in RED for example.

Other than that, IKs I could see being in color.. but I'd rather my combat not be a rainbow myself.

Rancid
(newbie)
04/10/08 02:04 PM

That was the exact idea I had in mind. I wouldnt want any more than say a cripple in color. I had thought severs as the limit but I was more thinking special crits rather then just the standard. IKS, severs and cripples are more or less what I had in mind. Maybe some of the very few crits that give stat bonuses or other bonuses.

Some people just like melodrama a little to much.

Charon
(enthusiast)
04/10/08 02:11 PM

I think they, at least I, understood that EVERY crit would be coloured. So you'd have an assload of color every round. Feel free to mudmails me suggestions!

Charon@darkemudtest

Kim
(enthusiast)
04/10/08 02:18 PM

"IKS, severs and cripples are more or less what I had in mind."

Especially when doing combat for XP, you get a *lot* of those each round.

Furthermore, if there is to be special colours, limit it to IKs... And no more than maybe two different ones. Muted colours, not garish ones is part of the darke feel... Not a rainbow.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
04/10/08 02:22 PM

A bit of color won't hurt.. If you don't want it at all you could just set up you client to strip it from your data stream. However I agree that we don't want to have a rainbow here either, i.e. I would not want something like this:

http://www.durismud.com/mud/pvp_event.php?id=12886

Kim
(enthusiast)
04/10/08 02:25 PM

"If you don't want it at all you could just set up you client to strip it from your data stream."

No, I couldn't.

Not to mention even if I could, I'd have to set it up to strip it from every single crit... Would be quite a job. If I could.

**DONOTDELETE**
()
04/10/08 02:27 PM

Just get a decent client, will ya? ;\)

Rancid
(newbie)
04/10/08 03:18 PM

The point is being made into something it is not. There is not an entire page full of colors being suggested. A rainbow of colors is a total exaggeration of what is being suggested. I would not want a rainbow of colors in combat. There used to be more colors in combat. Chemoch used to do some crits that summoned devils and there were colors in that. I would not want a lot of colors in combat it would start looking obnoxious like some other muds I have played. What is being suggested is more of what made Darke Mud original. What is being suggested is that special crits recieving color like they always have.

Rancid
(newbie)
04/10/08 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Kim
"IKS, severs and cripples are more or less what I had in mind."

Especially when doing combat for XP, you get a *lot* of those each round.

Furthermore, if there is to be special colours, limit it to IKs... And no more than maybe two different ones. Muted colours, not garish ones is part of the darke feel... Not a rainbow.

Why dont you post these posts under the correct forum any how which is the colors for crits post not the crit tables post?

Kim
(enthusiast)
04/10/08 03:25 PM

"Why dont you post these posts under the correct forum any how which is the colors for crits post not the crit tables post?"

Because somebody, I believe he's called "Rancid" started talking about colours in crits here. It was part of my response to said "Rancid" about severing crits and colour in crits. If you want to blame somebody for starting to talk about colour in crits in the wrong thread, start with said "Rancid" person?

Rancid
(newbie)
04/10/08 03:31 PM

I got the idea while writing this post and then posted it as you know under colors for crits; considering the fact that you posted there too.

Minstrel
(journeyman)
04/10/08 04:21 PM

Bleeding blade to the best of my knowledge has no severing crits in the table. I maybe totally incorrect and would like to know but the bleeding system was put in place about 5 years after the mud was created which is when the original severing crits were created.

Bleeding blade doesn't use a bleeding system. It's simply a colourful name for a spell that adds cutting. Severs tend to cause bleeding.

Quote:
The aether table could be simply toned down but many of the crits themselves could maintain their forum since they looked really neat. It's not that difficult to conceptualize.

How do you "tone down but keep the concept" of scattering one's equipment around the mud and absurdly silly things like that? I quite disagree that aether was "neat" conceptually. It was basically a bunch of random effects that made little sense, had no sense of balance and didn't add to atmosphere.

Rancid
(newbie)
04/17/08 12:28 PM

The cutting crit table existed before bleeding. It is just a simple fact that it was a long time before bleeding was added in and knives, swords etc had cutting crits. So either bleeding was added to the cutting crit table or else it was coded completely independently.

Secondly, as we were discussing earlier in the forum the fatality crit could simply be said to send you to the realm of marghuul or something similiar. The equipment scattered across the mud is ridiculous and would of course would be removed. It has been 10 years since I have seen all the crits but; I remember enjoying all the crits my locks produced not just fatality etc. It could be changed to an endless amount of different permutations of the original. The only limit is one's imagination. The idea is to use existing code to allow the people who actually work on it to not have to start over from scratch. I am certain there are quite a few crits that could be kept or slightly augmented to save time and add to the quality of the mud.

CerberusAdministrator
(addict)
04/17/08 01:10 PM

Even when crit tables are balanced (yes, this is a project being undertaken in the near future) there wouldn't be a way to accurately cost "scattering one's equipment around the mud". I believe what the point of this post is follows from the second paragraph of the section labeled "Critical Hits" from this web page.

As I understand it, Darkemud's combat system is one of its most unique and enjoyable features. As is evident by Rancid's most recent post, reinstating old damage types would mean a lot less coding time while expanding the realm of possibility and improving the thing players probably see most often.

As an aside, I don't know Aether's concept was. Anyone off hand remember talking to Excelsior or whoever coded it? I'll look through the crit results and see if I can figure out the general idea, but as I recall, its general idea was more or less "Fucked up stuff happens when reality warps"?

Minstrel
(journeyman)
04/17/08 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Harold
As an aside, I don't know Aether's concept was. Anyone off hand remember talking to Excelsior or whoever coded it? I'll look through the crit results and see if I can figure out the general idea, but as I recall, its general idea was more or less "Fucked up stuff happens when reality warps"?

That's the generous way to put it. The meaner way to put it is that it was just a "look at all the cool effects I coded!" damage type.

But I'm not mean, so we'll go with yours!