Who's Online
0 registered and 31 anonymous users online.
Newest Members
Mog, GreenGems, Minzuki, evaker, juffsion
83 Registered Users
Top Posters
Cerberus
Charon
MacTORG
Kim
carmy
Muod
Shadowraith
Minstrel
sabu
Rancid
Recent Topics
Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1771 - 04/10/08 03:31 PM Re: Crit Tables [Re: Kim]
Rancid Offline

I got the idea while writing this post and then posted it as you know under colors for crits; considering the fact that you posted there too.
#1779 - 04/10/08 04:21 PM Re: Crit Tables [Re: Rancid]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Rancid
Bleeding blade to the best of my knowledge has no severing crits in the table. I maybe totally incorrect and would like to know but the bleeding system was put in place about 5 years after the mud was created which is when the original severing crits were created.

Bleeding blade doesn't use a bleeding system. It's simply a colourful name for a spell that adds cutting. Severs tend to cause bleeding.

Quote:
The aether table could be simply toned down but many of the crits themselves could maintain their forum since they looked really neat. It's not that difficult to conceptualize.

How do you "tone down but keep the concept" of scattering one's equipment around the mud and absurdly silly things like that? I quite disagree that aether was "neat" conceptually. It was basically a bunch of random effects that made little sense, had no sense of balance and didn't add to atmosphere.

#1831 - 04/17/08 12:28 PM Re: Crit Tables [Re: Minstrel]
Rancid Offline

The cutting crit table existed before bleeding. It is just a simple fact that it was a long time before bleeding was added in and knives, swords etc had cutting crits. So either bleeding was added to the cutting crit table or else it was coded completely independently.

Secondly, as we were discussing earlier in the forum the fatality crit could simply be said to send you to the realm of marghuul or something similiar. The equipment scattered across the mud is ridiculous and would of course would be removed. It has been 10 years since I have seen all the crits but; I remember enjoying all the crits my locks produced not just fatality etc. It could be changed to an endless amount of different permutations of the original. The only limit is one's imagination. The idea is to use existing code to allow the people who actually work on it to not have to start over from scratch. I am certain there are quite a few crits that could be kept or slightly augmented to save time and add to the quality of the mud.

#1832 - 04/17/08 01:10 PM Re: Crit Tables [Re: Rancid]
Cerberus Administrator Offline
addict

Loc: Arlee, MT, USA
Even when crit tables are balanced (yes, this is a project being undertaken in the near future) there wouldn't be a way to accurately cost "scattering one's equipment around the mud". I believe what the point of this post is follows from the second paragraph of the section labeled "Critical Hits" from this web page.

As I understand it, Darkemud's combat system is one of its most unique and enjoyable features. As is evident by Rancid's most recent post, reinstating old damage types would mean a lot less coding time while expanding the realm of possibility and improving the thing players probably see most often.

As an aside, I don't know Aether's concept was. Anyone off hand remember talking to Excelsior or whoever coded it? I'll look through the crit results and see if I can figure out the general idea, but as I recall, its general idea was more or less "Fucked up stuff happens when reality warps"?

#1834 - 04/17/08 03:11 PM Re: Crit Tables [Re: Cerberus]
Minstrel Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Harold
As an aside, I don't know Aether's concept was. Anyone off hand remember talking to Excelsior or whoever coded it? I'll look through the crit results and see if I can figure out the general idea, but as I recall, its general idea was more or less "Fucked up stuff happens when reality warps"?

That's the generous way to put it. The meaner way to put it is that it was just a "look at all the cool effects I coded!" damage type.

But I'm not mean, so we'll go with yours!

Page 3 of 3 <123

Hop to:
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
83 Members
33 Forums
335 Topics
2543 Posts

Max Online: 277 @ 01/07/23 02:30 AM

Generated in 0.021 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.