I think people misunderstand what balance is. A Mage and a fighter being able to level combat with the same effort and the same results isn't balance.

Special areas add a couple of things. First they add a destination which is important. Next it allows people who are willing to put in the extra time and energy to get something for it.

If everybody who put in 50 days of playtime had exactly the same equipment and abilities as somebody with half that time, that is poor balance.

If putting in the extra time and effort, which is the idea behind special areas, the implementation has yet to be decided, results in the same results as not putting in that extra effort then there is truly something unbalanced.

Let us take for example an extremely high level nightblade. Such a character could kill almost anybody. Does that make them unbalanced? Perhaps, but levels are one way the mud rewards effort. I understand this isn't perfect of course but the idea is still valid.