Originally Posted By: Minstrel
... I think you'd have to first make all the stats close to equally important ...
This is a solid point worthy of discussion. There are probably many ways to deal with it, but the first thing that came to mind is simply programming the auto-stat assignment process to recognize the relative importance of stats, so weight is always given to some stats over others. This artificially narrows the field of possibility of course, but would still be an easy thing to do.

Since this is relatively on topic (pertaining to character creation anyway), I'll throw out an idea I've been kicking around since the new stat system went in.

I'd like to point out that this idea is 10 years old and is NEVER likely to be put in. In fact, it's probably a bad idea. What's more, no one should ever take this in any way to mean that I'm excited about, thinking about, or otherwise considering putting it in in any form at all.

Now I'll continue.

• Charisma: This stat has in many games been tied to 'likability'. In theology it is a divine gift. If charisma affected every assumed interaction it would be a much more potent stat. If, for instance, your miners at a mine site worked faster or more effective for a person with high charisma, and a person with low charisma paid twice as much for their castle upkeep and mob repairs, there would be many fewer 35 charisma characters around
  • Comeliness: Aside from being incorrectly spelled throughout the game (which isn't a big deal - did anyone other than me even ever notice this?) this stat could be used to dictate the number of pets following a person. If your comeliness was 35, you could have 1 pet. 100, 5 pets. Obviously this is still not of particular importance with pets being as pathetic (in general) as they are, but it could be relevant if pets were as well. Also, it could be used as a reaction modifier for NPCs in conjunction with Charisma. If you've got a low comeliness (and low cha), guards may automatically assume you're the troublemaker whenever you're involved in a fight. If you've got a low comeliness (and high cha) guards may assume you're being picked on. High com (low cha) guards may stay out of it since you're obviously asking for someone to teach you a lesson. High com (high cha) you may be able to assume limited command of NPCs (who find you positively captivating)
  • Constitution: This is probably already important enough. Lots of things are tied to it.
  • Dexterity: Again, probably already important enough. Plenty of skills tied to it, etc.
  • Endurance: Might benefit from a slight boost. If Endurance were tied to your combat effectiveness more closely it would probably be adequate. In other words, if you spend 60 seconds (6 rounds, in theory. 30 rounds in practice) in combat your ability to hit and avoid attacks entirely lessens (obviously to a minimum amount). Since it's already tied to fatigue points (I assume?) it's probably pretty well off now.
  • Intelligence: In the same boat as all the original stats. I think it can be left alone.
  • Memory: While this was tied to buffer size I think it was probably fine. If it's not anymore (which is irrelevant since there are no buffers now) it could probably be a defining factor in mana points, spell * maximum (gasp!), or buffer (again).
  • Reactions: I don't have any idea what role this plays, but if the average stats of players usually online is any indicator, this is fine as it is.
  • Strength: Again, one of the original stats so no need to look at it.
  • Willpower: I personally love this stat and think it should be tied to everything. EVERYTHING!!! It should improve the amount of money you gain in real life even. Damn. It's just that good. (in my opinion)
  • Wisdom: This is the one stat I think should be utilized in game challenges rather than as a modifier. Maybe I'll elaborate later, but it seems like this one is fine as it is.