I like Mactorg's idea of limited testing of shortened hiatus times between characters, and second whoever it was that said each character could be tied to that same timer so you couldn't hiatus/unhiatus all 3 of your characters in the same day.

As an area coder I've made a conscious effort to make mobs that have a chance of dropping items that are slightly improved from basic iron. Some are just mineral versions, others have special properties like damage types or hit bonuses etc. I don't believe it's common knowledge where or how often these items are found otherwise I imagine they'd be in guild treasuries for newbies...

It's very difficult as a new player with limited resources and zero game experience to just go around finding stuff that makes their character better. It's even more difficult to find players who will make things for someone with limited resources. I believe I saw someone with an idea on equipping newbies with basic gear they can fight with, and I believe I will have the time very soon to start coding again from that idea. I will do my best to make newbie friendly moves for this mud because it is very difficult to get started here if you don't already know the place.