That could be an interesting idea. Leave existing characters as they are, and have a new non-guild introduced.

There would have to be some sort of control implemented. I don't know if I would go with the set number of trainings per level.. that seems like a step backwards, but perhaps have a cap on what they can train. I'd give them less devs (since they can train all 3 categories) and maybe limit training somehow..

Off the top of my head I can think of a few ways to limit training:

1. Only allow a max of 100% in a non-combat skill (to limit spells and skills alike).

2. Spells can only be trained to *4.

3. A negative "training bonus" to make skills slightly more expensive (although that's basically a dev control).

4. Each casting skill beyond the first you train has an additional cost. (for example if you start with 'necromancy' it would cost what it normally would, but if you then started training 'prayer', prayer could have a +2 cost, and then if you started 'magery', magery could have a +4 cost... etc.

Anyways, just out of my ass.